#54 Bryce Hager ILB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Now I start this thread because I for one wanted Hager cut before the season over Josh Forrest and I'm not sure Hager is the long term answer, however, I felt Hager filled in admirably. Now Rams had trouble with the run because of Gap Responsibility and they seemed to have corrected that in the 2nd half, in fact, the side line reporter, eluded to McVay saying "We have to do a better job with gap responsibility." Seems to be an ongoing issue.

Again they seem to correct that in the 2nd half, but Hager seemed to play well in Tree's absence and you have to factor in that Hager had to call the defensive signals as well.

Psycho_X

Legend
Hager did good, my assumptions based on nothing really was that Hager would play better in run support than Tree but worse in pass. But that was a great pass breakup he had so I'm happy with his first bit of playtime out there. Never a bad thing to have your depth players get quality experience as long as it isn't because of a serious injury. Might help down the road.

As far as gap assignments, not sure what was going on there. There were at least two plays that I saw Walker just get blown up that caused the huge hole between the Cards LG and LT. Him and I'm assuming Quinn (but not entirely sure who the end was) were getting destroyed on those run plays.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
As far as gap assignments, not sure what was going on there.
That TD run by Penny was awkward. When AZ used that fatbody as lead blocker, he ran straight at Tree and Tree just kind of accepted his fate on that. Didn't look like he even tried to shed the guy.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hager did good, my assumptions based on nothing really was that Hager would play better in run support than Tree but worse in pass. But that was a great pass breakup he had so I'm happy with his first bit of playtime out there. Never a bad thing to have your depth players get quality experience as long as it isn't because of a serious injury. Might help down the road.

As far as gap assignments, not sure what was going on there. There were at least two plays that I saw Walker just get blown up that caused the huge hole between the Cards LG and LT. Him and I'm assuming Quinn (but not entirely sure who the end was) were getting destroyed on those run plays.

I saw Quinn set the edge on running downs which is his job when McVay y’all about Gap responsibilities he’s talking about his linebackers.

They have to shift with the run when they ran to the left Barron have to shift and get in between Quinn and Brockers and Ogletree sorta takes Barron spot of more in the middle of the field. The problem with these big runs is that our linebackers aren’t shifting quick and hard enough to fill those lanes thus McVay means gap responsibility

Montanaramfan

Rookie
That TD run by Penny was awkward. When AZ used that fatbody as lead blocker, he ran straight at Tree and Tree just kind of accepted his fate on that. Didn't look like he even tried to shed the guy.

I saw that too. In fact, I've seen it way too often this year. Others might disagree, but I think Ogletree is overrated. I see him time and again get pushed out of the way on gaping holes. I really think we need to be looking for a stud MLB in the draft next spring.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Michael Brockers mentioned post game that the players know what they need to do to fix the run defense. It just seems they come out playing wrong and have to be coached to fix it. Makes you wonder if it's all on the middle linebackers.

Psycho_X

Legend
I saw Quinn set the edge on running downs which is his job when McVay y’all about Gap responsibilities he’s talking about his linebackers.

They have to shift with the run when they ran to the left Barron have to shift and get in between Quinn and Brockers and Ogletree sorta takes Barron spot of more in the middle of the field. The problem with these big runs is that our linebackers aren’t shifting quick and hard enough to fill those lanes thus McVay means gap responsibility

Yeah not really sure I saw the end get blown up really so you're probably right. I saw Walker get turned sideways and sealed off a couple of times though which made it difficult for the lb'ers to go that way. All though the lb'ers probably had jumped too much and should have been away from the line more to move into the gap like you say. Overall, was a really sloppy second quarter. Luckily, half time adjustments for the win again. Just hope the Eagles don't put us in a huge hole before half time this week. They have the players and system to punish a defense that doesn't play disciplined and they often to their most damage in the first quarter.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Is there a Linval Joseph-type player coming out in the draft next year? Rams obviously need a plugger.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Hager is a bigger body. With more playing time he might be a good option against bigger offenses. But when we play Seattle we need Tree in there. I believe the reason why our defense has historically given Wilson trouble is the team speed. Tree is a part of that team speed.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Eagles will come out poundibg the ball. They got away from it last night after Seattle slowed them down on a few drives, Pederson got impatient.

Rams will have to do the same.

On Offense, the Rams can pick on Eagle LBs in pass coverage. They struggle there so look for Everett, Higbee, and especially Gurely. That is what McVay will attack. He knows the Eagles well.. his Redskin offense won 5 in a row against the Eagles, 2 against this Eagle staff.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eagles will come out poundibg the ball. They got away from it last night after Seattle slowed them down on a few drives, Pederson got impatient.

Rams will have to do the same.

On Offense, the Rams can pick on Eagle LBs in pass coverage. They struggle there so look for Everett, Higbee, and especially Gurely. That is what McVay will attack. He knows the Eagles well.. his Redskin offense won 5 in a row against the Eagles, 2 against this Eagle staff.
When the Rams win, while wearing Rams colors, enjoy their tears. Listening to the Fanatic, they are dismissing us. One schmuck has been saying the Eagles beat themselves at CLink....They whine about the Wentz fumble into the end zone, and never mention the Gurley fumble that changed the Hawks game we lost.......It's time to beat them down.

DTsf3Di.png

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
The Rams will need to shut down the run just like they did against the Saints and make Wentz beat them with is arm. I noticed that Wentz channeled his inner Wilson and just threw a few passes up for grabs that he was very lucky to complete. Let me be the first to say that Wentz is no Brees.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
That was after Tree's arm was injured. He couldn't use his left arm at all after the injury. It was after the Cards TD drive that he was pulled from the game.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Two reasons the Rams struggled vs the run in the second quarter: Ogletree was playing injured and couldn’t do his job and Wade made the adjustment in the second half of keeping Donald on the one side they could run. That first series, he blew up the first two runs and set the tone.

Ram65

Legend

Unleash the Ebukam the rest of the year!

Hager did good. . He was doing some spying too. It was helpful the Rams had a lead as the Cardinals didn't run much in second half. Ebukam has some good speed. Seemed to play with some discipline. He can improve with more playing time.

HellRam

Starter
Hager is a bigger body. With more playing time he might be a good option against bigger offenses. But when we play Seattle we need Tree in there. I believe the reason why our defense has historically given Wilson trouble is the team speed. Tree is a part of that team speed.

I believe Fisher himself mentioned building the Rams defense to stop mobile QBs. Especially with all the read option going on at the time with Kap in the division as well. I also liked our 4-3 D against mobile QBs as well. It was hard for QBs to get around the edge. Shame we dont got the outside rush we use to have.

Hager should get more playing time. He showed some versatility yesterday.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I saw that too. In fact, I've seen it way too often this year. Others might disagree, but I think Ogletree is overrated. I see him time and again get pushed out of the way on gaping holes. I really think we need to be looking for a stud MLB in the draft next spring.
I wouldn't call him "overrated" as a player. I don't think anyone suggesting he should be booking a plane ticket to the pro bowl. I just think he's a bit miscast as a ILB. Hes incredibly athletic and fast sideline to sideline, and would be a beast in a 4-3 as an OLB, as he was starting to look like a year or two back. I just think he's a little light in the pants taking on full backs and guards in this scheme. I mean, he's got the guts to stick his head in there play after play (and I wouldnt want to do it thats for sure!) but he might just not be big enough to do it to the level we want. He's still a useful player and makes lots of plays; but he's a finesse guy not a run stuffer.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think sometimes our DL Alignment is such that the Guard has nobody over him, and is able to fire out directly and take out the ILB on that side. I saw that several times on the drives they were running well. Then once we adjusted the DL Alignment it was resolved, and they couldn't run to that hole anymore.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I think sometimes our DL Alignment is such that the Guard has nobody over him, and is able to fire out directly and take out the ILB on that side. I saw that several times on the drives they were running well. Then once we adjusted the DL Alignment it was resolved, and they couldn't run to that hole anymore.
That's what i saw too. On Williams' longest run right before the half, both Hager and Barron were wiped out by unblocked lineman (C and RT).