4 Rams under the most pressure in 2018

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/07/4-rams-under-the-most-pressure-in-2018/

4 Rams under the most pressure in 2018
By: Andrew Ortenberg

usatsi_11055306.jpg

Things change so fast in professional football, a player can go from being a star to being out of a job in the blink of an eye. The NFL is unlike any other sport in that regard, and as such there’s intense pressure on every player at every moment.

Due to the lack of guarantees in contracts, most players live with the constant threat of an imminent release. Some rise to the occasion while others fold under it. Here are the four Los Angeles Rams players who are under the most pressure in 2018:

1. Ndamukong Suh
DZP0_qnVAAAbqXC.jpg

Scoopnest.com

Suh made a big bet on himself when he signed a one-year deal with the Rams this offseason. The dominant defensive lineman apparently had bigger offers, but signed in Los Angeles to compete for a championship and re-enter free agency next year. Assuming his play doesn’t fall off, he should be able to land one last big multi-year deal next spring.

But he’ll be 32 by the time free agency rolls around, and if he doesn’t play well this year he might have a hard time drawing big offers. He’s clearly confident in his ability, but he’ll be under a ton of pressure to produce week in and week out, extra motivation that should be comforting to Rams fans.

2. CB Sam Shields
usa_today_10900633.0.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Shields was able to make the Rams, no small feat after sitting out all of 2017 due to concussion injuries, but his journey back isn’t over yet. He’s only on a one-year deal, and playing behind players that are set in stone in their roles in the secondary. Shields knows that he’s one more head injury from being done, he’s said as much himself, a burden he’ll have to carry with him the whole season.

He’ll be auditioning for all 31 other teams this season while having to constantly think about avoiding head trauma. Aside from concussions, if his play isn’t back to pre-injury form he’ll have a very hard time finding a job next year, already being on the wrong side of 30.

3. RB Malcolm Brown
usa_today_9742189.0.jpg

Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports

Brown remains Todd Gurley’s backup, for now. Fans were continuously excited by the play of John Kelly and even Justin Davis this preseason, and Brown will be on a short leash. If he falters at all during his limited duty, the calls to see more of what Kelly has will only grow louder and louder.

A restricted free agent at the end of the season, if Brown doesn’t show anything right away, 2018 will likely be his last year with the Rams as the team goes younger behind Gurley.

4. WR Josh Reynolds

577663_n.jpg

numberFire

The Rams and coach Sean McVay have insisted the team remains excited about Reynolds’ potential. But he hasn’t shown much on the field, and has fallen way behind on the depth chart. The 2017 fourth-rounder won’t have many opportunities to start the season and will need to make the most of it whenever his name is called.

It’s likely at least one of the trio of Brandin Cooks, Cooper Kupp, or Robert Woods will miss time at some point, and Reynolds will need to step up in a big way to show the coaching staff he should still be a part of the team’s long term plans. If he does nothing in his sophomore season, his roster spot won’t be guaranteed in 2019.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Here's my 4.....

1. Jared Goff - Prove the first year, 2016, was the fluke, not last year. People on the outside of the Ramily looking in still ask the question. And even some of us still have that nagging thought in the back of our noggins.

2. Cory Littleton - Is he the solution in the middle?
3. Mark Barron - Can he be a healthy productive player? Or is it another injury plagued year?
4. Malcom Brown - This one I agree with the author.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Here's my 4.....

1. Jared Goff - Prove the first year, 2016, was the fluke, not last year. People on the outside of the Ramily looking in still ask the question. And even some of us still have that nagging thought in the back of our noggins.

2. Cory Littleton - Is he the solution in the middle?
3. Mark Barron - Can he be a healthy productive player? Or is it another injury plagued year?
4. Malcom Brown - This one I agree with the author.

Prove last year wasn’t the fluke...

I’m sorry but that’s borderline ridiculous

His direction is only going up

I would wager those of “us”?? that “still have that nagging thought in the back of our (?) noggins” have yet to release their collective grip from their Wentz doll.

Last edited:

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
A lot of people besides us homers feel that way. Me? I'd say I'm 95% sure you're correct.

Rainram

Starter
1. Goff. Not because I don’t believe he’ll play well. But because the bar is raised. The expectation is that he leads this team to post-season wins and hopefully a Super Bowl appearance. He has a great head coach/play caller and quite the supporting cast. There’s certainly gotta be some pressure on the 23 year old to take the next step.

2. Higbee/Everett. I know that’s two people...whatever. There is pressure on both of them to establish themselves a bit more. And like Goff, there is enough around them to put them in a position to do exactly that...otherwise you gotta believe McVay/Snead is gonna be looking elsewhere in 2019.

3. Littleton. I’ll agree with him being on the list, but you can pick your LBer I suppose. I choose him because I think he figures to be on the field the most and will be something of the captain of the defense. Here’s hoping he can cement himself in Wade’s D as a playmaker and reliable fixture going forward.

4. Joyner. (Had throw a controversial one in here...Hear me out...lol.) Not from a Rams perspective per se...but from HIS perspective...he’s likely on a 1-year rental and playing for a future long term contract, as an undersized guy (although he’s a beast!), in a safety market that is seeing it’s value depleted. It can be real easy for him to be overshadowed by everyone else on this defense as well. I hope he balls out and earns a well-deserved contract...but there’s gotta be bit pressure on him, no?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Mine..........and these are not in any order from 1 to 4 they are just the 4 I think need to produce well.

Goff.

Suh.

Donald.

Cooks.

If those 4 have really good years or a season like last year this team will be a difficult week for anyone and could take home field for the playoffs.

Key games versus MINN and PHIL of course.

Rainram

Starter
To the author’s points....

Suh- I don’t think he’s feeling any pressure. Lol. He’ll perform well. And his market is probably set for next year regardless.

Brown- He’s a backup. Unfortunately for him, I don’t think he can or will do anything to push for starter money. We’re not going to re-sign him. So he’ll get back-up RB money somewhere.

Reynolds- I can agree with his premise. Reynolds is not gonna have too many opportunities though.

Shields- Aside from his health, I think he’s here to have fun. With his age and injury history, his ceiling and future offers will be limited.

dang

Legend
1. Cooks - he doesn't need to carry the offense but needs to take the top off the defense. Something Watkins wasn't able to consistently do.
2. Littleton - I have all the faith he can but I believe he will have some struggles this year. If he ultimately succeeds he is our Mike LB - if not Kiser is in the shadows.
3. Higbee or Everett - if just one steps up we have our solid TE. Personally I think Higbee has shown us his ceiling and its not high enough. We have yet to see Everett's ceiling which I hope is high enough.
4. Peters - have a great year and get paid big $$$$. If not there may be a difference of opinion for a new contract.

dang

Legend
1. Cooks - he doesn't need to carry the offense but needs to take the top off the defense. Something Watkins wasn't able to consistently do.
2. Littleton - I have all the faith he can but I believe he will have some struggles this year. If he ultimately succeeds he is our Mike LB - if not Kiser is in the shadows.
3. Higbee or Everett - if just one steps up we have our solid TE. Personally I think Higbee has shown us his ceiling and its not high enough. We have yet to see Everett's ceiling which I hope is high enough.
4. Peters - have a great year and get paid big $$$$. If not there may be a difference of opinion for a new contract.
I might add it sure is fun to have so many players to be excited about. Prior to last year it has been slim pickings for a while with Quinn/Donald and Hekker.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Suh isn't under any pressure. In TC and preseason he was his usual disruptive self, with no drop off. He's going to have a monster year playing next to Brockers and Donald. Questioning weather he can still play at a high level is ridiculous, and he's not worried about money, he's already making huge bank.

Sam Sheilds can still play at a high level. He's proved that in TC and pre season. Fastest guy on the Rams. The question is not if he can play at a high level after sitting out for 2 years, it's can he avoid another concussion.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My four without reading thru the thread are:

1. Goff (by a mile)
2. Higbee (Rams have drafted Everett to be the #1 TE)
3. Cooks (the only new guy on offense)
4. Donald (got paid a bit of money)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
OP

That list silly.
If the Rams had traded Donald then yeah, Suh would be under immense pressure to take over that DLine. He's already made his money. He's surrounded by talent. Just show up and do your thing.

Shields? No one expects him to be all pro anymore. It's a comeback story and he's not even starting. Weird choice.

There's a bit of pressure on Brown. I guess....
Kelly was drafted, looked good in preseason etc...but again, they're all playing behind Gurley. Make the most of your limited touches and behave. I don't see any huge pressure there.

Reynolds. Same as Brown except even less pressure on Josh because he's at least a guy who was drafted under McVay, while Brown could be cut at any time just because "he doesn't fit what we do."

I like my choices better. Being a starter in the NFL is pressure. There's always a few guys looking to replace you.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
1. Goff. Not because I don’t believe he’ll play well. But because the bar is raised. The expectation is that he leads this team to post-season wins and hopefully a Super Bowl appearance. He has a great head coach/play caller and quite the supporting cast. There’s certainly gotta be some pressure on the 23 year old to take the next step.

2. Higbee/Everett. I know that’s two people...whatever. There is pressure on both of them to establish themselves a bit more. And like Goff, there is enough around them to put them in a position to do exactly that...otherwise you gotta believe McVay/Snead is gonna be looking elsewhere in 2019.
Bam!

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
1- Goff - he has the franchise fortunes resting on his shoulders, mostly the right one.

2- Littleton - as the man in the middle with the job to call the defense, combined with his relative inexperience and the need for our LBer corps to produce combined with Barrons health concerns, Corey has to perform well before and after the snap.

3 and 4 - the "Browns", Jamon and Malcom. Jamons long-term place on this team hasnt been solidified and Malcolm has 2 talented change of pace backs behind him, and needs to prove his value to us or another team for next season.

Agree with everyone who put Jared on their lists. People expect big things from this team and they'll point the finger at Goff if his team doesn't deliver. But compare that to Carson Wentz's situation. His team won the Super Bowl without him. Anything short of another one will be a disappointment.

Ram65

Legend
Different kinds of pressure. Team and Individual

1.Goff-Can he do it again and be even better?
2.Shields-To stay healthy and still play well.
3.Higbee and Everett
4.Littleton-Rams need him to step up and his next contract.

Honorable mentions-JZ The Browns Cooks Talib Ebu