4 comp picks awarded

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Mike McDonald & Slaiz whatever his Jet minority name is.
—PISSES ME OFF so F’D UP
HATE IT!! NINER’s got(get) all those comp picks for 2 HC’s being in The BOYS CLUB. I can see there DC this season adding to the Comp Picks.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams have lost more coaches & players . The comp picks are just late picks.It would be alright if they did better with them.

The Rams 2021 Draft was SOLID & I know will help chill me out a little. FOREVER HATE MM(HC) Dolphins. Punk azz!! Plus a lier!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I know, and I’m losing my shyte! No 6th round comps? SONOFA….~ Snead
"As of now, the Rams are projected to receive three compensatory picks in the 2024 draft for their free-agent losses. Over The Cap projects they will receive sixth-rounders for Matt Gay and Baker Mayfield"

Why the Rams may be waiting until after the draft to sign free agents

CAMERON DASILVA
Thu, Mar 23, 2023
54c7682356521fe212b0c764e9e88b32

Over the course of the last six years during the Sean McVay and Les Snead era, the Los Angeles Rams have been very strategic about the way they add talent. Not only do they tend to trade picks for players, but they aren’t usually big players early in free agency.

They’ve been idle throughout the first week and a half of free agency this year, not signing a single player besides Coleman Shelton. There have been no indications of them showing interest in anyone else, either. Snead and McVay seem content with their current group of players – at least for now.

That’ll obviously change during the draft where they have 11 picks, and it could shortly after the draft, too. The key factor in all of this? Compensatory picks.

As of now, the Rams are projected to receive three compensatory picks in the 2024 draft for their free-agent losses. Over The Cap projects they will receive sixth-rounders for Matt Gay and Baker Mayfield, as well as a seventh for Nick Scott. Greg Gaines and Riley Dixon’s values are to be determined because comp picks are based on the player’s contract.

If the Rams sign unrestricted free agents now, those players will count against the compensatory pick formula, likely canceling out one of the picks the Rams are slated to receive. This could be why they’re waiting to sign any outside free agents until after the draft, which is when players no longer count toward the formula.

Thus, the Rams can sign anyone they want after the draft without fear of canceling out one of their late-round picks in 2024. They’ve always been conscious of the compensatory pick formula, targeting players who were released, which means they don’t cancel out comp picks. That was the case with Bobby Wagner last offseason, as well as DeSean Jackson in 2021.

By waiting until after the draft, the Rams can also better assess their roster needs. They could use depth and talent at every position, but if they come out of the draft with two more cornerbacks, they might feel they don’t need to use their valuable cap space on one in free agency.

The compensatory pick formula isn’t the only thing causing the Rams to be inactive in free agency, but it’s surely a factor.
:pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop:

This ROD member has additional thoughts here are positive & the good is yet to come for the Rams......there is still no information on the $$$ contracts of recent signings of ex-Rams UFA Greg Gaines, Brandon Powell & David Long.

In addition, other Ram UFA's DT A'Shawn Robinson...

Taylor Rapp

plus David Edwards and Troy Hill are still pending.

Then there's the question of Rams UFA OBJ who last contract was with the Rams

that is still lurking out there so it's very possible there is much more to be said & written about what Snead may be lining the Rams up for in the Four compensatory pick formula.

Last edited:

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Interesting, OBJ counts towards the Rams comp formula still?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Interesting, OBJ counts towards the Rams comp formula still?
Not sure???However, OBJ is listed as a LA Ram UFA @ at this time on the same list just like Greg Gaines or Nick Scott & all other Rams UFA's ?

If I were to bet OBJ is in a very special category list that will not benefit the Rams or Snead.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
How would OBJ count? He was a free agent last year that never signed anywhere. He stopped counting towards the comp pick formula on May 2nd 2022 right?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
How would OBJ count? He was a free agent last year that never signed anywhere. He stopped counting towards the comp pick formula on May 2nd 2022 right?
I don't know the legitimacy of this but it's freaky!! The Rams were his last team. If somebody retires early and comes back, he's still property of the team he retired from, right? I guess maybe it works that way for UFAs. He was a free agent last year but he was also injured all year. What I like more than a 4th or 5th round comp pick is if McVay resigns him. Wouldn't count against the comp formula. Helps the offense immensely.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
[A] Compensatory Free Agent (“CFA”) shall be defined as an Unrestricted Free Agent (“UFA”) who: (i) signed with a new Club during the prior free gency signing period […] prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Monday following the NFL Draft for that League Year1

I am no expert, but I thought players count against the comp pick formula until the date quoted above. Which is why we sometimes wait until after the draft to sign players, so that it doesn't count against the formula. In my view OBJ wouldn't count towards any comp pick formula since he's been a free agent for over a year.