4 articles: Softli, Thomas, Wagoner, & another PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

Young Rams Growing Up Fast

By Tony Softli
August 20, 2012
http://tonysoftli.com/?nid=28&sid=15747223 Young Rams growing up fast

After the Rams’ first preseason game against the Indianapolis Colts, the Rams flew home on a short charter flight (40 minutes) and Jeff Fisher said there were no tears shed over the 38-3 loss. During last week’s practice sessions I saw this young team start the bonding process that is needed in order for a group men to develop into a team. As I mentioned on the radio multiple times last week, the practices were more spirited than before and the sense of urgency was high. All the 11 on 11 team periods were getting salty with up tempo attitudes. The players did a great job of competing and pushing each other past their comfort zone to get better in all phases of the game in that great week of practice.

Coach Fisher and Les Snead have assembled a young roster, the youngest in the NFL, but they are talented with the size, speed and athletic ability to compete. Despite more hot spots to fill, the foundation of what builds a championship team is there; a very solid coaching staff and a locker room of hungry players to succeed. Among the players the main intangibles is team chemistry, and that is what is forming now.

I’ve been a part of championship football teams from little league, high school, college to the NFL. It’s about believing in one another and the bond that team chemistry creates is a powerful element. At the NFL level it is about coaches that are good teachers and motivating leaders, and players that get along with one another with respect and loyalty in both the locker room and off the field in a unselfish way for 20 plus weeks and beyond. It is very important that the players understand their role on the team and carry out their responsibilities when called upon.

After the wheels fell off the bus in Indianapolis against the Colts, the Rams grew closer, the coaches reaffirmed the commitment and steered the bus back in the right direction with a strong sense of team identity and unity with a focus on Kansas City.

Sam Bradford came out firing on all cylinders against the Chiefs, opening the game with a 35 yard strike to receiver Danny Amendola. It sparked a young team that remains thirsty to win. The defense created turnovers and flew around the field on a mission, colliding with their opponents in explosive collisions and tackling production. Special teams remained solid across the board. While this young team still has a long way to go, the critical steps towards developing into a TEAM was written in their preparation during the week that was evident with their performance on Saturday night.

When Coach Fisher was asked about his thoughts on the win over the Chiefs he replied, “As far as the game is concerned, there’s always some really good things and there’s some things you need to improve upon. We’re kind of caught between a rock and a hard place because if I was to look at one area that we really need to improve upon, it’s third down efficiency. We’ve got to get better on offense and got to get significantly better on defense. We’re allowing over 61 percent conversion rates on defense which will do you no good during the regular season. But the issue, the other side of the coin is that we’re also not doing the things that we would do during the regular season to try to get off the field on third down because those are the things that you kind of hold back. That will be an emphasis this week. I thought tackling was good. Our penalty numbers are down. We’re averaging four per game and as I said last week, we’re still looking at the tape to identify those that are not called and make sure we get those corrected so players understand. Overall, I thought it was improvement because last week what we did on the practice field, so we need to see the same type of improvement”.

To quote Allen Inverson, “Practice, yes were talking about practice.” Weekly preparation and progression is the key for this young team’s successful future. Can the Rams take another step forward this week as they travel to Dallas to take on the Cowboys? The mark of a good team is consistency; can this young team learn that lesson this week?

Rams Get Three Players Back On Field

BY DAN O'NEILL

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_5e170533-2cbb-5cf6-93b6-8db383ca5892.html

5017527a4473b.preview-620.jpg

Rams center Scott Wells watches practice from the sidelines during St. Louis Rams training camp on Monday, July 30, 2012, at Rams Park in Earth City, Mo. Photo by Chris Lee, clee@post-dispatch.com

On the heels of a refreshing exhibition win on Saturday night, the Rams got more positive reinforcement with several injured players returning to practice Monday.

Center Scott Wells, rehabbing after knee surgery, made his his first working appearance in camp. Rams coach Jeff Fisher said he will not hesitate to give Wells all he can handle, including action this weekend against Dallas.

"He’s got a chance to play this week, yeah," Fisher said. "It’s his first day back. He’s been participating in the walk-throughs. But he has a real good chance to play a little bit this week."

Receiver Brandon Gibson (hamstring) also returned, making several nifty catches. Safety Darian Stewart (hamstring) joined in the fun, hoping to make up for lost time in a prime-time battle with Craig Dahl. The pendulum may have swung toward Dahl in Stewart’s absence.

Dahl was prominent in the Rams’ 31-17 exhibition victory over the Chiefs on Saturday, contributing three solo tackles, one assist and a fumble recovery that led to a touchdown. Stewart acknowledged seeing the competition excel makes the absent heart grow anxious, but in a supportive manner.

"Yeah, it motivates you," Stewart, 24, said. "But at the same time, any time your teammates are doing well, you’re cheering them on. We’re all on the same team. We’re all trying to win, trying to get to the same place. So any time anyone makes a good play, I’m happy for them just like I would be if I made it."

Stewart was practicing earlier in camp, working with the No. 1 defensive unit. But his hamstring flared during the week leading up to the first exhibition at Indianapolis. The South Carolina product now has missed two games, which is a bit of ground to make up. On Monday, with safety Quintin Mikell nursing a minor injury, Stewart occasionally was on the field at the same time with Dahl.

"He’s going to need to get some reps," Fisher said. "We’re going to get him some reps. Hopefully, he’ll get through the week without incident and we’ll get him plenty of reps in the next couple of weeks and we’ll see where it goes."

PICK TIME

Matt Conrath was in uncharted waters on Saturday. The 6-foot-7, 290-pound Conrath with the ball in his hands is like a battleship pulling skiers. But early in the second quarter, Conrath rushed Chiefs quarterback Ricky Stanzi, then turned to find Stanzi’s pass deflected right back toward him — courtesy of cornerback Trumaine Johnson.

The USS Conrath made the grab and cruised about a step before being tackled at the Kansas City 18-yard line. The Rams’ offense docked the ball in the end zone five players later, increasing a lead to 24-10.

For a rookie defensive lineman hoping to make a team, nothing makes an impression like a pass interception. Conrath said he remember intercepting a pass in high school but had none during his college career at Virginia. He was momentarily stunned to be cradling the ball, but he did what he’s been taught to do. On the chance they recover a loose ball, the defensive linemen have been taught to tuck the ball into a proper position by coach Mike Waufle.

The training kicked in. The instincts, not so much. "I didn’t try any moves," Conrath said, with a laugh. "No, no moves."

RAM-BLINGS

Practice has been moved up to a 4 p.m. start today at Rams Park. It is open free to the public, as is Wednesday’s workout. ... Besides Mikell, receivers Brian Quick and Danario Alexander, defensive tackle Trevor Laws, defensive end Jamaar Jarrett and cornerback Bradley Fletcher did not practice with various minor injuries.

Rams are taking risks, at least for now

BY JIM THOMAS

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_b74c80cc-7792-5ea8-907f-fab49a3e11ae.html

Jeff Fisher offenses all those years in Tennessee (and Houston) leaned toward the conservative side. Which makes what has happened in Fisher's two preseason games with the Rams all the more interesting.

The Rams have gone for it on fourth down six times already — three times against both Indianapolis and Kansas City. Maybe we should call him "Fourth-Down" Fisher, because over the course of the regular season that would translate into 48 fourth-down gambles on offense — which would lead the league in almost any year.

For example, over the 17 previous seasons of "St. Louis" Rams football, the Rams have gone for it on fourth down an average of 17.4 times per season — or barely more than once a game. Steve Spagnuolo's first Rams team, the 1-15 edition of 2009, went for it on fourth down 28 times — a franchise high since the move to St. Louis in 1995.

The low was 1999, the Rams' Super Bowl championship season and the birth of the Greatest Show on Turf. The Rams went for it just eight times on fourth down. But when you're scoring touchdowns as rapidly as that squad, you don't reach fourth down that often.

As for Fisher, he was even more judicious when it came to going for it on fourth down. In his 16 full seasons as head coach of the Houston Oilers-Tennessee Titans, he averaged 15.6 fourth-down gambles a season. His two worst Titans teams, in 2004 (5-11) and 2005 (4-12), went for it on fourth down 27 and 31 times respectively.

So what's going on so far in St. Louis?

"Well, I know both kickers can kick 20-yard field goals, 30-yard field goals," said Fisher, referring to Greg Zuerlein and Garrett Lindholm. "In the preseason, why not try to make plays on offense? So that's basically it. Obviously the philosophy changes during the regular season — (with) momentum, flow, and field position.

"But I don't think we need to kick 35-yard field goals in the preseason, especially if it's fourth and less than 4. The longer the down and distance is, the less likely you have an opportunity to convert. But I think we had two touchdowns on fourth down (Saturday)."

Kind of. Danny Amendola's 8-yard TD catch in the first quarter, giving the Rams a quick 14-0 lead over Kansas City, came on fourth-and-2 from the KC 8-yard line.

Early in the third quarter, on a fourth-and-2 from the Kansas City 10, Kellen Clemens threw what appeared to be a TD pass to Brian Quick. But after a review by the replay assistant, the touchdown was waved off and the ball placed on the 1. It was only a temporary delay to the end zone, because Isaiah Pead scored on the next play with a handoff from Clemens for a 24-10 lead.

The Rams' other fourth-down gambles this preseason have had little to do with place-kickers and short field goals.

In the fourth quarter against the Chiefs, Fisher went for it on fourth-and-2 from the KC 43. The other options here would have been a Johnny Hekker punt, or a 61-yard field goal attempt by either Zuerlein _ which would've been fun to see given his leg strength _ or Lindholm.

On that fourth-down play, rookie running back Daryl Richardson was stopped for no gain.

Against Indianapolis, Fisher went for it on:

— Fourth-and-3 from the Indianapolis 37 on the Rams' first possession of the game. A Sam Bradford pass was incomplete to a well-covered Amendola.

— A fourth-and-2 from the St. Louis 31 with 9 minutes left in the fourth quarter. This play was unsuccessful because wide receiver Greg Salas didn't run his route deep enough — he gained one yard on a pass from Austin Davis.

— A fourth-and-1 from the Indianapolis 35 with 54 seconds left in the game. Davis completed a 12-yard pass to Mike Campbell.

Fisher said part of the reason for the flurry of fourth-down attempts is strategic with the regular season in mind. It gives the opponent something else to think about, starting with the Detroit Lions on Sept. 9.

"It helps from the standpoint of when someone picks up your stat sheet from the preseason and they look and see what you're doing on fourth down, they've got to be ready for fourth-down stops," he said.

And there could be motivational reasons. On the fourth-quarter play in Indy that resulted in the one-yard reception by Salas, it looked like Fisher was simply challenging the third-team offense to get something going.

"He's aggressive," linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "And I think it also shows that he wants to work on every situation while he has the opportunity in the preseason, which is smart. You need to work those situations so if you do have a fourth down you can kind of see, 'OK what plays did we do well, what plays haven't we done well?' We go through a lot of situational stuff here in practice. . .so I think that's just another extension of that."

For an offensive player, what's not to like about a chance for an extra play on fourth down?

"I enjoy it immensely," Amendola said, smiling. "I don't like punting. I'm not a punter, I'm not on the punt team, so I don't like it."

Besides, Amendola doesn't have a chance to make his amazing TD catch against the Chiefs with a defender draped all over him if Fisher opts for the field goal. That play could be a confidence boost for an offense that struggled mightily last season.

Smith No Longer Slowed by Knee

Nick Wagoner

20 Aug 2012

http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and...-by-Knee/c96cf96b-f073-48d0-9ea8-17646e9d4e75

It’s not that Rams receiver Steve Smith has anything against the team’s athletic trainers or their place of business but if he has his way he won’t be spending much time with them this season.

Only two years ago, Smith was one of the most productive receivers in the league, a genuine Pro Bowler with a big future in front of him. That might seem like ages ago after a knee injury cut short his season in 2010 and the remnants of it persisted into 2011.

That’s why, as this training camp goes on, every day that Smith spends away from the training room and on the practice field is a win, not only for him but for a Rams offense in need of a capable veteran at receiver.

“I know when I am healthy I can make plays,” Smith said. “That’s the whole thing for me, just being healthy and being on the field.”

So far, so good through the opening three weeks of this training camp and back into the spring. Although Smith isn’t above knocking on wood when it’s mentioned, to this point Smith has spent a grand total of zero minutes in the training room for treatment or missed any practice time.

“No, none whatsoever and he’s not in the training room either,” Fisher said. “He’s doing maintenance like most people that have had prior injuries with the knees but he has stayed out of the training room and that’s a good sign for him.”

It’s also a good sign for the Rams offense. With Brandon Gibson out with a leg injury the past two weeks, Smith has ascended to the top of the depth chart and looked much more like the 2009 Pro Bowler than someone who hasn’t been able to stay healthy.

Smith had had long looks with the first team offense and though Gibson returned to work on Monday, he still got some reps with the first and second unit. Through two preseason games, Smith has seemed to find a bit of a groove with quarterback Sam Bradford as the pair has connected for three catches for 24 yards.

Still, Smith and Bradford have work to do to get their timing down as they’ve been unable to hit on a pair of deep ball opportunities.

“It’s big right now, just getting all of the little things down, getting comfortable with each other and working on some of our weaknesses,” Smith said.

It’s helped Smith that he brings plenty of versatility to the table as well. With the Giants, he played in the slot and on the outside and had plenty of success in both roles. In that 2009 season, Smith was a headache for opposing defenses on his way to 107 catches for 1,220 yards.
That season alone would place Smith as the most productive wideout on the Rams current roster and, at just 27; he’s the oldest wideout on the depth chart.

The thought of a healthy Smith returning to form has Fisher salivating at the possibilities that he could turn into one of the great bargains of the offseason.

“Oh gosh, when he was healthy in New York, he went to the Pro Bowl,” Fisher said. “It’s a matter of us creating opportunities for him to get open. He understands the offense. He is a veteran receiver; he understands defenses and concepts so there is a lot ahead of him this year. We expect him to stay healthy.”

Ah, yes, the health issue. Smith does not have some sort of ongoing treatment or strenuous exercise he must do every day to keep the knee healthy.

Instead, Smith has focused mostly on basic day to day maintenance, be it in the weight room with certain lifts or more extensive stretching.

Smith acknowledges that he has to stay on top of the knee to make sure it’s ready to go but he’s reached a point where he can cut it loose on the field without thinking about it.

“I feel really good,” Smith said. I feel like I am just improving every day, getting stronger. With me having surgery, I have just got to stay on top of my injury and making sure my knee is OK.”

As for his place in the ongoing battle to form the pecking order at wideout, Smith doesn’t believe anything is set in stone and wants to continue working to secure his place.

“You are only as good as your last performance or your last day of practice,” Smith said. “I have got to come out competitive every day.”

DAVIS UPDATE: Rookie quarterback Austin Davis has showed no fear in his two opportunities to play in the preseason and he impressed again on Saturday night against Kansas City.

Davis finished five-of-seven for 70 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions for a rating of 103.3 but led the Rams on their final scoring drive capped by Daryl Richardson’s 4-yard touchdown run.

Perhaps most impressive was a play late in that drive in which Davis came under fire from a free blitzer, stood tall in the pocket and picked up a hot read to tight end Mike McNeill for a gain of 14. Richardson scored two played later.

“Austin’s making good decisions,” Fisher said. “(He’s) keeping drives alive and the one play he knew he was hot, he got rid of the ball to the tight end and it was just like, ‘bang, bang.’ He’s playing, at times, like an experienced veteran.”

Davis has worked exclusively as the team’s third signal caller in the preseason with Kellen Clemens handling the backup duties. Clemens fared well against the Chiefs, also, going eight-of-10 for 50 yards for a rating of 87.5 and tacking on a 22-yard scramble for a first down.

While it’s certain Bradford will handle the starting duties, it remains to be seen how the depth chart will look behind him. Fisher doesn’t have a hard and fast rule on how many quarterbacks to keep on the final roster, having kept two and three at various points in his coaching career.

“Over the years sometimes we have, sometimes we haven’t,” Fisher said. “Sometimes we’ve gone two and one on practice (squad), and sometimes we’ve kept three up. It really depends on the health and age of them.”

NUMBERS GAME: On the current 90-man roster, the Rams are carrying 12 wide receivers and eight tight ends. In relative terms, those two spots are the most crowded spots on the roster which can make it hard to get enough repetitions for everyone.

So far, Fisher said he hasn’t been able to get his wideouts and tight ends the chances they need but vowed that they will before the preseason concludes.

“I’ll say this, at the end of the preseason we will have gotten enough opportunities for everybody,” Fisher said. “After the first two weeks, no, it’s still kind of jumbled a little bit. It has to sort itself out.”

CLOSE TO THE VEST: In a bit of peculiar preseason oddities, the Rams have allowed three touchdowns in two games from 1 yard out.

On each of those plays, the Colts (twice) and the Chiefs (once) scored relatively easily at the goal line.

Of course, in those situations the defense is up against the wall as it is but still a little more resistance would be the preference of Fisher and the defense.

Fisher said that part of the success opponents are having in that scenario is directly related to the fact that the Rams have been especially diligent in not showing much of their real goal line defensive packages.

“I think that has a lot to do with what you elect to do down there,” Fisher said. “There are other options than what we are using in the preseason. Again, there is a book full of things that we’re not using, and that’s intentional in the preseason. There’s things we’re practicing on the practice field, and that’s really no different than anybody else in the league. Where you get concerned is when you get in the regular season and you’re not effective with it. Then, you have to pay attention to it and if you do and address it, then you’ll get results, but it’s hard for me to say that it’s 11 players on the field. A lot of it has to do with intentional scheme selection in what you’re doing and what you’re not doing.”