29. Edward Jones Dome (STL)-Truth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
But that was many years ago and the dome hasn't "kept up".

In 1999 how many glitzy stadia were in play?

Perspective, that's all I'm saying. And 15 years of wear and tear too. The first time I was in the dome was 2002 and I wasn't that impressed back then. I've been in several baseball, football and basketball stadiums in several different cities, for years and years. The dome at that time was one of the least impressive. It isn't an insult, the structure was never built to be top flight and it's age is showing, it happens to stadiums everywhere.

A completely agree with it being "outdated" when compared to all the new structures that have been built since. But honestly, it is better now than when it was in 2002 in terms of amenities, new scorebaords, etc. Much like the old Busch Stadium, it was a much better facility when it was torn down than when it opened, with all the upgrades. But there simply comes a time when the cost of upgrading it, vs. building a new stadium comes to be.

A55VA6

Legend
I'll agree with the ranking. The dome is poorly lit, needs alot of upgrades, etc. But man that place sure holds alot of memories for the Rams.

Getting a new stadium certainly will be weird for me since I'm only 22 years old and became a NFL/Rams fan in 98'.. it's the only stadium I remember them playing in. I remember taking road trips down to St. Louis to visit my grandparents every summer when I was younger. We would drive past the dome and I would stare at it until I couldn't see it anymore. I've always wanted to see a game there. Hopefully I can before they get a new stadium!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A completely agree with it being "outdated" when compared to all the new structures that have been built since. But honestly, it is better now than when it was in 2002 in terms of amenities, new scorebaords, etc. Much like the old Busch Stadium, it was a much better facility when it was torn down than when it opened, with all the upgrades. But there simply comes a time when the cost of upgrading it, vs. building a new stadium comes to be.

So we agree.......who cares it's gone soon LOL.

Irish

Starter
FYI the Georgia Dome was a much nicer facility all the way around so just because they were built as similar use structures doesn't mean they were built to be equals. The stadium in Indianapolis where the Colts played and the combine is held is the same type of story. Same use, meaning convention center and stadium, but a different thing than the Georgia Dome altogether.

Nothing matters anyway. SK will be building his own soon enough.

To piggy back off of that, the Georgia Dome was awarded and hosted a Superbowl in 2000, right before the current NFL Stadium trends started. Since then, the Georgia Dome, just like the Metrodome and the Ed have looked more and more disheveled and subpar with each passing year. They are dark, drab, monochromatic, and above all wholly outdated.

Outdoor stadiums just age better because of the ambiance and the natural light. That is why Lambeau and Ralph Wilson Stadium and Arrowhead and the like can withstand the test of time better: Old and outdoor is "historic"; Old and indoor is "decrepit"

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I've only been there 4 times. It happened all 4 times. Upper decks. Early in a game on 3rd down defense, our section would stand up and make noise and the ushers tell the whole section to sit down, and usually threaten a couple of people who refuse to be removed. And that sets the tone for the game.
The last time I went was Bradford's first game. Got so disgusted about it, I never went back.
THIS sounds like something that should be brought to the attention of one Mr Kevin Demoff.

tonyl711

Starter
other than the lighting and no parking I see nothing wrong with the dome, let the Rams get to the play offs and watch how the dome rocks after that, I bet you will hear a lot less moaning about how bad it is.

fearsomefour

Legend
and yet, NO ONE complained about the building in 1999-2003
True enough.
Although I do remember a few media types calling it a warehouse and nothing more....although usually media types are concerned only about their amenities (ie Bernie starting an article about draft day complaining about the food that is served).
A stadium that is a true toilet (Oakland) for example, football fans complain, A's fans usually don't.
It's all about the winning.

fearsomefour

Legend
Maybe if we soak the dome in urine and cover the walls in ivy, people will treat the Ed like the Taj Mahal.

Seems to work for another losing team up in Chicago.
Exactly.
Wrigley, Fenway....toilets.
Dodger stadium is great.
Sometimes old is just old.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
True enough.
Although I do remember a few media types calling it a warehouse and nothing more....although usually media types are concerned only about their amenities (ie Bernie starting an article about draft day complaining about the food that is served).
A stadium that is a true toilet (Oakland) for example, football fans complain, A's fans usually don't.
It's all about the winning.

Imagine that, Bernie complaining about the food!!!!

Av8R

UDFA
I guess I'm in the minority here. Every home game I enjoy going to the dome and watching our Rams play. Yeah sure it would be nice to have a more modern stadium but I still get to see the Rams play live and not on some tv screen, hard for me to argue that. I love interacting with the fans in our section (426 if anyone wants to come say hi) and cheering on our beloved team. The stadium situation is what it is so why let that get in the way of a great Sunday afternoon of Rams football? Just my .02 anyways.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I guess I'm in the minority here. Every home game I enjoy going to the dome and watching our Rams play. Yeah sure it would be nice to have a more modern stadium but I still get to see the Rams play live and not on some tv screen, hard for me to argue that. I love interacting with the fans in our section (426 if anyone wants to come say hi) and cheering on our beloved team. The stadium situation is what it is so why let that get in the way of a great Sunday afternoon of Rams football? Just my .02 anyways.
The stadium certainly didn't ruin my only experience there.

RamzFanz

Damnit
But Jerry has pole dancers...

...I want pole dancers!

P1030048-716392.JPG

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The ED is fine, however, it does need some major upgrades. It all has to do with the agreement within the lease that John Shaw negotiated with the caveat that it had to be in the upper echelon of Statdiums in the NFL. If Shaw was a good a team president as he was an attorney the Rams would have more Super Bowls than the 49ers.

Bad lighting did give a dreary look on television, however, it did not help with the team losing so much. In the end, we all want the same thing. I'm hoping for a retractable dome because God knows Stan can afford it and it could lead to a future Super Bowl for the Gateway City.

Ex-Rams GM John Shaw negotiated the “sweetheart lease” that moved the Rams to St Louis in 1995.

Irish

Starter
I suppose I am in the minority, but I want a Wrestlemania more than a Superbowl right now :D.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
Aaaaah, John "The Vampire" Shaw..............................kinda miss those days........wait, no I don't!

I can only comment with this:

I have been to 5 Football games in my 42 years so my opinion should be valued by that stat. Those 5 games break down like this:
1 - Edward Jones Dome (post Superbowl win)
2 - Candlestick Park
2 - Anaheim Stadium (I was very young)

Of those games, the Ed was the worst experience of "watching a game" The lighting as others have said is the primary issue, but just the feel of the place was a downer...............(this coming from a person surrounded by 49er fans at Candlestick).

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
This problem was wasn't discovered, it was invented. Can't please everyone.

I like the EJD, always have. It's on ram forums that I found there are bickers about it. Whatever, I'm obviously in the minority.

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
the age & condition is not the problem. salaries from players on up. That makes more seating & luxury boxes = BIGGER venue to keep up. Cause someone else is always ready to take your team away. We have seen this happen in St. Louis before & it can an will happen again. How do you think we got this team from L.A.?

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I guarantee there would be a lot less bickering about the dome if the Rams had been a consistent winner over the last 7-8 years. I do think the Rams are trying and doing the best with what they have to work with. Demoff shared that they are upgrading the sound system this year. They've tried to bring more natural lighting into the place, which really hasn't happened. Hard with a fixed structure covering the joint. Upgrades in food coming, etc.. One thing that's always positive about the dome is that when it's 15 degrees outside, I'm glad I'm in there. But when it's sunny and 65... sucks to be in there. Interesting to see how this all plays out over the next few years. Demoff also said that they would love a place like Lucas Oil in Indy, tied into the local 'infrastructure' somehow... but that infrastructure would need to be built as well.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
I don't see the team moving as an issue for the fan's complaints of the EJD. If you take the number of people who dislike it's feel and compare that to those that don't you can simply separate those who are just fans of the team and only concern themselves with the team playing to those who just watch for entertainment.

The team moving to LA means squat to me.......I live in the Sacramento area so LA is just as far as St Louis, (mentally speaking). I already went through the team moving away to somewhere new.........the complaints about the dome are real and are not tied to groups pushing to move the team.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
I guarantee there would be a lot less bickering about the dome if the Rams had been a consistent winner over the last 7-8 years.

I understand this point a lot, but let me add to it because its not wrong.

Winning would quiet those fans that live in the area of the team, but wouldn't do much for fans who are flying in or driving a long ways. The "experience" of the game at the dome needs to surpass watching the game on TV while BBQing with friends. Compare it all to the travel plans, hotel, gas or plan tickets and tickets to the game. This is where the EJD is failing fans.

I wouldn't bother ever buying tickets and plan tickets to see the Rams at the EJD again until that "Experience" changed.