OFFICIAL 2024 NFL Trades, cuts, free agency, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So the avg of the top 8 QB salaries is 20% of the team's cap
2019 was 18%
2014 was 15%
I dont believe in having salary limits but this is getting out of hand.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
This says it all. Good QBs who haven’t won shit yet. I’m all for paying for performance but teams are paying for potential. Mahomes and Stafford being exceptions.
And Burrow alone counts for most of those SB appearances and PO wins

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So the avg of the top 8 QB salaries is 20% of the team's cap
2019 was 18%
2014 was 15%
I dont believe in having salary limits but this is getting out of hand.
Yeah it seems to me like the player union is going to have to decide if they are about the average player or just the elites. I'd be concerned with teams putting so much into so few if I was in the union.

They'll try for a separate QB cap of course, because greed. But what I'd do is push for a percentage limit of the cap to try to keep things from getting more out of whack.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah it seems to me like the player union is going to have to decide if they are about the average player or just the elites. I'd be concerned with teams putting so much into so few if I was in the union.

They'll try for a separate QB cap of course, because greed. But what I'd do is push for a percentage limit of the cap to try to keep things from getting more out of whack.

the players have to fight tooth and nail for the money they get. where is this extra money for qbs coming from? the owners aren't giving it to them.

tempests

Hall of Fame
This says it all. Good QBs who haven’t won shit yet. I’m all for paying for performance but teams are paying for potential. Mahomes and Stafford being exceptions.
Stafford would've been at the top of a list like this if they made it a few years ago. Lions made him the highest paid player in NFL history in 2017. Record guaranteed at signing, signing bonus and three year cash flow. He hadn't won a playoff game yet when they did that.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stafford would've been at the top of a list like this if they made it a few years ago. Lions made him the highest paid player in NFL history in 2017. Record guaranteed at signing, signing bonus and three year cash flow. He hadn't won a playoff game yet when they did that.

don't bother hysterics with facts.

it's like people on twitter just type the first thing that comes in their head while doing zero research on the topic.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This of course was the fear when they fought over revenue sharing in the last CBA. Increased cap space being spent on top players, not for the vested vets who were supposed to benefit. CBA in place until 2031 so I wouldnt expect any changes.
I think the logical option would be to have a cap threshold that teams are allowed to exceed to re-sign their own player, like the Bird rule from the NBA

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the players have to fight tooth and nail for the money they get. where is this extra money for qbs coming from? the owners aren't giving it to them.

The players? They fought and won, and all the extra money ended up going to the top 2-3 players on the team and the rest have to stick with what they got, or less.... Cant blame the owners greed for this one

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The players? They fought and won, and all the extra money ended up going to the top 2-3 players on the team and the rest have to stick with what they got, or less.... Cant blame the owners greed for this one

I'm not blaming owners at all. I'm saying a lot of time and effort goes to agreeing on a precentage of the pie the players get from the revenue.

Whatever money the qbs get will always come out of that pot. There will be no extra money coming their way from their team.

Unless your name is tom Brady and you own a recovery centre/ Cafe/ whatever the hell his establishment was and the team sent every player over there to "recover" every week.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Didn't say anything about it being likely they would get more. Only commenting on their approach. Which has been faulty for some time, or perhaps more accurately they should have been looking out for the average player a bit more as this trend has gotten worse and worse.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I'm not blaming owners at all. I'm saying a lot of time and effort goes to agreeing on a precentage of the pie the players get from the revenue.

Whatever money the qbs get will always come out of that pot. There will be no extra money coming their way from their team.

Unless your name is tom Brady and you own a recovery centre/ Cafe/ whatever the hell his establishment was and the team sent every player over there to "recover" every week.

Yeah I don’t understand why there is all this talk about a separate QB cap/system and how that would help non-QBs get paid more. It’s still the same overall pot of money that the players get. Creating something separate isn’t going to magically help others get paid more.
The only way to do so is limiting the amount/percentage that a QB can be allowed to get.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I don’t understand why there is all this talk about a separate QB cap/system and how that would help non-QBs get paid more. It’s still the same overall pot of money that the players get. Creating something separate isn’t going to magically help others get paid more.
The only way to do so is limiting the amount/percentage that a QB can be allowed to get.
It's not complicated. There is a set percentage of cap that goes to the players. The union has never had an eye on what percentage of that cap goes to what player position, because they have never had to limit it. But we are progressing to a point where you will have a very small percentage (QBs and elite playmakers) making all the money.

I honestly don't really care. But my point is the player union should care.

And yes the only answer is limiting what the QBs make. At least that is the simplest and probably best way to do it. Certainly it is a topic worthy of discussion.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would be more fair to 80% of the players to spread the money around. Think of all the veterans who have to play for minimums because they love the game or the veterans who retire rather than play for a minimal salary. I don't know what the answer is but there has to be better way. Star players already make more than most because of endorsements. Surely someone can come up with a better system for the players union when the next contract comes up. After all, QBs have no more say in the next union contract than any other union member.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
An NBA-style maximum contract would seem to be an option here. This would be something the Union has to get its members to agree to.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
It would be more fair to 80% of the players to spread the money around. Think of all the veterans who have to play for minimums because they love the game or the veterans who retire rather than play for a minimal salary. I don't know what the answer is but there has to be better way. Star players already make more than most because of endorsements. Surely someone can come up with a better system for the players union when the next contract comes up. After all, QBs have no more say in the next union contract than any other union member.
Agreed

How about reducing the prices for fans along the way too? These teams make so much money that paying superstar wages is a form of justification. It’s way too expensive for fans considering owners barely need the gate receipts next to TV money

For example, fan controlled Green Bay season tickets are less than $130 behind the end zone. When you take greed out of the equation the difference is pretty incredible

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The Law of Supply and Demand is dictating QB salaries, and all other player salaries under the cap, for that matter. Quality QB’s are scarce as hen’s teeth, unfortunately.

Price controls always sound like a good idea but they just don’t work long term in the real world.

Current examples are rent control and minimum wage requirement. I rest my case.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
It's not complicated. There is a set percentage of cap that goes to the players. The union has never had an eye on what percentage of that cap goes to what player position, because they have never had to limit it. But we are progressing to a point where you will have a very small percentage (QBs and elite playmakers) making all the money.

I honestly don't really care. But my point is the player union should care.

And yes the only answer is limiting what the QBs make. At least that is the simplest and probably best way to do it. Certainly it is a topic worthy of discussion.
Ok, so let’s say you limit the amount a QB can make. That money is then gonna go to the next elite position like WR, edge or LOT. You still have the same problem. A handful of super important guys making the money.
You’d basically need to have a set max percentage for ALL positions. I just don’t see it happening.