2024 and beyond

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think a lot of us are looking at next year as a legit SB run year. But this year is hugely important because it sets the table for 2024 and beyond. We have all wondered what would this team be without Stafford, Kupp and Donald. This year we got that answer. Nacua has been an understudy for Kupp for years, not just this year and it shows in how he plays. I view him as Kupp v2.0. Turner probably won't reach the heights of Donald, but he's showing that he can be a very able force on the IDL and worthy of being Donald's successor at DT. Young is proving he's the real deal an able followon to Leonard Floyd. In fact I think he will become better. Young has elite traits and an outstanding work ethic. IMO he will prove to be an absolute steal in the third round.

Avila has pro bowl written all over his highlights this year. He's a foundational OG for years to come. Shelton is looking like the guy I watched at UW for years. Smart, mobile and aggressive. Dotson looks to be playing better than he did in Pittsburgh. They played him at LG but he looks like a good fit at RG. So the IOL looks good for years to come. The old school way of OL building was from inside out. Havenstein is nearing his end as the starting RT. Jackson looks good so far but his inconsistencies show so the jury is still out. By the end of the season we will know if he is indeed the franchise LT.

Witherspoon is 28 so he's got another full contract in him. He's played outstanding so far. I think Shelley is the real deal at SCB as well. Both Lake and Yeast are outplaying their draft positions and I think they will be the safeties going forward.

Ethan Evans is a keeper. He's good now but will get better as he develops. IMO the jury is still out on Maher. He's got the leg, Even Zuerlein was only 80% between 40 - 49 yards. So far Maher has been better than Zuerlein.

There is a lot to like about this team. Coaching wise, Wendell is proving himself to be a good OL coach. Pleasant has the secondary playing better than they have in two years. I would have no reservations if he gets promoted to DC, whether or not Raheem gets a HC gig. I'm not overly happy with Blackburn's STs but they can still turn it around. This team is ready to make a run this year and into the future. If the Rams can grab a QB1 of the future in the next draft they will be set for a long time to come. The next draft will be deep in good QBs. Obviously there will be a run to grab Penix and my assessment of Sanders has really cooled the deeper I get into him. His biggest flaw is his immaturity.

After watching Bo Nix play the Huskies, my opinion of him has really improved. He was good at Auburn but he's better now. Right now he looks to be draft slotted probably 9-13. In the Washington game I could see him going through his progressions and his overall all mechanics though occasionally inconsistent have improved. I really loved what I saw in him. I could easily see the Rams targeting him in the draft. He would be a fit for McVay's offense if given a year to develop behind Stafford.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It really is exciting to see this draft class making an instant impact. There will obviously be more new faces next year. As a life long fan it's rewarding to see things moving in the right direction after the train wreck that was last season.

Flint

Pro Bowler
It’s been a really interesting shift with this team, I heard more than one person predict that it was going to take some time to get this team turned around especially with the qb they draft with the high first rounder they would have this year cuz they have no talent.
There’s still a lot of games to be played but it looks like that high first rounder isn’t going to happen. McSnead have found talent in the later rounds and maybe more importantly have found coaches to mold that talent. The redskin coaching pipeline might be drying up but now McVay is getting back some of the guys who were poached away, as well as bringing in some new guys on the rise.
It was also anticipated that this might be it for Stafford, they got a ring out of the deal but he might be on the Peyton Manning bus to retirement. I don’t know if he went to Lourdes in the offseason or what but Stafford looks like that guy again, making throws lots of guys won’t even try.
Maybe they knew what they were talking about when they said remodel, this team looks to have a solid foundation, a top ten qb, a ton of cap space AND a first round pick. It doesn’t seem outrageous to think of this team as a threat in the nfc very soon.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Problem is, based off of what we have seen so far, Morris will be a (deserving) head coach somewhere. Not sure another coach will come in a lead a top defense with what we have and a few additions. This is why I’m fully on the “give up a first for Burns” train. We need more talent that can produce in different schemes

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Just goes to show, you never know. One the biggest drawbacks to youth and inexperience is inconsistency. The best game they played was week 1 vs Seattle. That's when they were at the height of they don't know what they don't know. Had they played the second half vs Philly like they did the first half, that might have been a win. Same with SF. Win just one of those games and they're 4-2. I feel confident they are going to improve that consistency and how soon will determine how much they win. There were predictions from many, many Ram fans they were going to be anywhere from 0-6 to 2-4 after 6 weeks. They're ahead of schedule and should have been even better. The current stretch of games starting this week feature a lot of favorable games. Will they take a big step or continue a bit longer with inconsistency? I'd like to see them at 7-4 (or better) when it's played out. We'll see soon enough.

Tano

Legend
Just goes to show, you never know. One the biggest drawbacks to youth and inexperience is inconsistency. The best game they played was week 1 vs Seattle. That's when they were at the height of they don't know what they don't know. Had they played the second half vs Philly like they did the first half, that might have been a win. Same with SF. Win just one of those games and they're 4-2. I feel confident they are going to improve that consistency and how soon will determine how much they win. There were predictions from many, many Ram fans they were going to be anywhere from 0-6 to 2-4 after 6 weeks. They're ahead of schedule and should have been even better. The current stretch of games starting this week feature a lot of favorable games. Will they take a big step or continue a bit longer with inconsistency? I'd like to see them at 7-4 (or better) when it's played out. We'll see soon enough.
I think I said this in another thread, but I was one of those fans that had them at 2-4 but I also said we would improve later in the year once our younger players got more experienced to where we would be anywhere with 7 - 10 wins but have a low of 4 - 5 wins if one of the big three got hurt for a significant amount of time.

Puka took me completely by surprise with his play in the first 4 weeks without Kupp.

pvtdragon39

Rookie
We only make a SB run next year if Stafford stays and plays. He needs to be healthy.
Only way that will help is if the O'line either gets really good, or we bring in help ASAP. Stafford has been Sacked 16 Times so far in 6 games. Hes on pace to be sacked 50 or so times.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think I said this in another thread, but I was one of those fans that had them at 2-4 but I also said we would improve later in the year once our younger players got more experienced to where we would be anywhere with 7 - 10 wins but have a low of 4 - 5 wins if one of the big three got hurt for a significant amount of time.

Puka took me completely by surprise with his play in the first 4 weeks without Kupp.
I had best case scenario at 2-4 and thought there was a possibility to be 1-5. So they're already exceeding my expectations. But if they really want to be a legit playoff contender this next game is the kind of game they need to win.

Tano

Legend
I had best case scenario at 2-4 and thought there was a possibility to be 1-5. So they're already exceeding my expectations. But if they really want to be a legit playoff contender this next game is the kind of game they need to win.
Agree completely - this is a game that tells me if we are going to make the playoffs or have 7 wins at best

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stafford's sacks are all on McVay. His penchant to prematurely abandon the run allows the defense to simply tee off on Stafford. No offense can operate like that. As long as the defense has to honor the run then the LBs can't be blitzing all the time. I'm confident that the OL can handle most 4 man DLs. The run game keeps the LBs inside the box and off of Stafford. It also prevents them from immediately dropping into the intermediate zones which is where Stafford cooks. This is why I've been saying the only way McVay's offense works is when there is enough of a run game to force the front 7 to honor it. In their Super Bowl run they had enough with Henderson and Michel to do exactly that.

The addition of Henderson and Gaskins paired with Evans and Freeman would seem to reflect that McVay is going to play situational RBs with the guys he has. Evans and Freeman even or ahead of the chains and Henderson and Gaskin on passing downs. Both Henderson and Gaskin can not only pass block but they are receivers and can run from scrimmage as well. Teams even on passing downs won't simply be able to tee off on Stafford as both Henderson and Gaskin can take a swing pass and get chunk yardage.

Stafford's contract basically runs through 2024 with what looks like a retirement after 2024 by structure. The same can be said for Kupp and Donald. With Nacua and Turner, the Rams need a QB1 successor in the next draft to fill those holes in 2025. I expect them to use multiple ones to move up to get that QB. IMO I think that has been their plan all along.

The Rams apparently did make a call to Indy regarding Taylor but the price was out of their range. They may have what they need by RB by committee. I think that is what they will experiment with when they signed Henderson and Gaskin.

If the Commodes don't tag Montez Sweat which isn't likely I think the Rams would take a run at him. He's the type of mid-tier edge rusher on the rise that would fit with what they want. He will be 28 next year so clearly worthy of a full 4 year deal.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Please holy fate, sign Chase Young or Brian Burns. I want a young edge rusher to grow alongside Byron Young (my preference is Chase Young on a five-year, 21 million-per-year deal; he'll be thirty at the end of it, so it makes sense.). I also think Raheem gets a HC job after this year; he deserves it, and we get a comp pick for the next two years out of it. There's not many on our team I'd re-sign (A-Jax could get a first round tender, but that's about it; I think Witherspoon and Dotson get huge deals, and honestly, I believe most of the guys in FA are JAGs or positions we don't pay (in Fuller's and JJ3's cases)

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Draft an offensive tackle, RB and center with first three picks… spend all your FA money on D.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
On defense.. Here's the only guys I want back in starting roles:

Donald
Turner
Bobby Brown
Byron Young
Russ Yeast
Witherspoon
Ernest Jones

I wouldn't hate Fuller back.. but I wouldn't spend much to keep him.

Need to spend $$ to get at least one more corner.. and at least one more edge... and probably another Lineman.

Defense was bad today.. but Offense and STs basically gave Dallas a 16 point spot.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
On defense.. Here's the only guys I want back in starting roles:

Donald
Turner
Bobby Brown
Byron Young
Russ Yeast
Witherspoon
Ernest Jones

I wouldn't hate Fuller back.. but I wouldn't spend much to keep him.

Need to spend $$ to get at least one more corner.. and at least one more edge... and probably another Lineman.

Defense was bad today.. but Offense and STs basically gave Dallas a 16 point spot.
Donald is good. Not sure I can call him great at this stage. But very good. Jones is serviceable. Young and Turner we still don't know what we have. They are far from pro bowl caliber but could be solid starters. They aren't there yet. The others are JAGS. If this is the core of our defense next year I don't think we should expect good things.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Donald is good. Not sure I can call him great at this stage. But very good. Jones is serviceable. Young and Turner we still don't know what we have. They are far from pro bowl caliber but could be solid starters. They aren't there yet. The others are JAGS. If this is the core of our defense next year I don't think we should expect good things.
I have a little higher hopes at the possibility.
A very good edge opposite of a 2nd year Young.. another vet lineman.. maybe someone like Gaines!! ... a real corner opposite Witherspoon.. and an upgrade at safety.. all those things make a big difference, imo. Another edge is a multiplier, imo.. not just a "one more guy" thing.. I think he makes Donald and Young way more effective.

But.. we'll see.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
The margins between victory and defeat are razor thin in the NFL. Another strong draft class and we will be in contention again, especially if we use our upcoming cap room wisely for some nice free agent additions. If whiff we on our drafts picks and FAs, well, that's how teams stay in the basement for years.

Stafford can still sling it and looked great to start the year. He makes some back breaking turnovers but that isn't age or decline related IMO. It's the just the bad side of him being a gun slinger. He had some absolutely ugly outings in our Super Bowl winning season too but note how incredible he was when the chips were down leading come-back wins in the playoffs. Quality starting QBs are hard to find. We'll be much better served to keep building the trenches and trying again with #9 until his contract expires IMO.

The priority going forward needs to be o-line. And defence.... pretty much everywhere on that side of the ball could use an upgrade, take the best player available on the defensive side of the ball.

EDIT - Seeing speculation Stafford might be done for the year. If that is the case, I'd go QB with our 1st round pick. Very good draft year for QBs, and if Stafford is out, I could see us not winning another game all year. 3 wins would put the Rams in a good draft slot for one. Then let him sit behind #9 and learn for a year, and let him takeover after Stafford's contract runs out. But in free agency and with all other draft picks the plan should stay the same IMO. Build the o-line and defence.

Last edited:

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Trade Staffords contract

Let McVay retire to the broadcasting both

Draft a QB in the 1st round for pennies on the dollar , draft the top running back

Sign some ol in free agency

Convince jim harbaugh to come to l.a.

Problem solved