CARDINALS The Arizona Cardinals Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!

Love reading their fans complain about the jerseys like everyone here does.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Their white jerseys with the red shoulders were pretty sharp. Their whites look worse now I think.

Here's the old ones:

d08479de-86c2-49f0-967f-b428eb193da6-USATSI_16886345.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Arizona Owns 2024​

The new Arizona GM, Monti Ossenfort, got off to an inauspicious start Thursday, having to admit he erred by making a phone call to Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon outside the permitted time for contacting coaching candidates during the playoffs. The Cardinals paid a 28-slot penalty in round three, moving down from 66 to 94 with Philadelphia as part of Ossenfort’s penance. “I made a mistake. I own that,” he said. After that, he had a strong weekend.

Ossenfort, with more holes to plug than any GM in football, made three trades in the first 34 picks—with Houston, Detroit and Tennessee. The upshot: Ossenfort traded the third overall pick, plus picks in the second, fourth and fifth rounds. In return, he got pick six (tackle Paris Johnson), pick 41 (linebacker BJ Ojulari) and pick 72 (cornerback Garrett Williams), plus a first-round pick in 2024 and two third-round picks in 2024.

The Cardinals now are scheduled to own a league-high six picks in the first three rounds next year, and the first-rounders could be pure gold. PFF data analyst Timo Riske reported that after simulating the 2023 season 10,000 times, Arizona and Houston were favored to be the two worst teams in the NFL this season. Each team, PFF said, has a 46 percent chance to have a top-five pick in the draft next year—which would mean, of course, that Arizona would have two of the top five picks in the draft next year.

Think what that could mean. Clearly, it would leave Arizona as the leader in the clubhouse for the top pick in the draft, or the ability to deal for the top pick, which could be a great quarterback—maybe Caleb Williams of USC or North Carolina’s Drake Maye. That, of course, puts pressure on Kyler Murray with a new coaching staff and administration and coming off knee surgery, to show he’s a premier player when he returns sometime this fall.

Ossenfort told me Saturday night he didn’t go into the draft with a plan to deal for so much 2024 draft currency—that’s just the way the trades fell. He did admit he made the first deal with Houston with the idea of trading back up. “It was important with that first trade to retain the option to move back up,” he said. And that, of course, was for Ohio State tackle Paris Johnson, the best tackle in the draft. The Cardinals got him at six, just ahead of the Raiders, who may have taken Johnson at seven.

One more point. If Arizona, Houston and Tennessee all struggle next year and all finish below .500, the Cardinals would have six picks in the top 75, including two early in the first round. Ossenfort may not have gone into this draft with an intention of owning the 2024 draft, but that’s exactly how it turned out.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jeesh. Last year my pre-draft QB to look for was Brock Purdy, this year it was Clayton Tune. I guess I'll be picking Seattle's QB next year?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Jeesh. Last year my pre-draft QB to look for was Brock Purdy, this year it was Clayton Tune. I guess I'll be picking Seattle's QB next year?
Well we’ll see what happens with Tune. Hopefully he doesn’t win every regular season game & take the Cards to the NFC Championship.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is a weird story. When they say tampering, I tend think of something done wrong / against the rules…

The story finishes: “The problem is that the entire ordeal ended up being swept under the rug, with the goal of minimizing any attention paid to the situation, in the hopes that no one will fully explore the rabbit hole. “

WTH?

Report: Vic Fangio “probably” would be Eagles defensive coordinator, but for Jonathan Gannon tampering​

After a report emerged that Eagles consultant Vic Fangio was poised to become the defensive coordinator in Miami, questions emerged as to whether he’d succeed Jonathan Gannon in Philly, if/when Gannon left.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com, the tampering shenanigans involving the Cardinals and Gannon resulted in Fangio not sticking around.

“The interesting part about it would be this, I think it impacted a lot of peoples’ lives,” Schefter said in an appearance on 97.5 The Fanatic. “Vic Fangio, for example, probably would not have taken the Dolphins defensive coordinator job and would be the defensive coordinator in Philadelphia today if everything was on the up and up. And so it didn’t just impact the Cardinals and their job with Jonathan Gannon, it impacted others as well. . . . So I think that are certain people that might not be pleased with the way everything went down.”

Schefter didn’t elaborate on the connection between the Gannon tampering and Fangio moving on. Apparently the Eagles didn’t realize Gannon would be leaving before the door closed on keeping Fangio around.

While Schefter tiptoed around saying it, he seems to think this thing was a bigger mess than we’ve all been led to believe.

“I think everybody knows, in any line of work, if they’re on an expiring contract or they’re under consideration, they still have responsibilities to their employer to finish the job the right way,” Schefter said. “In this particular case, I just think the Eagles weren’t comfortable with the information that they learned and Jeffrey [Lurie] brought it up to Michael Bidwill, and this is where the organizations wound up.”

The problem is that the entire ordeal ended up being swept under the rug, with the goal of minimizing any attention paid to the situation, in the hopes that no one will fully explore the rabbit hole. As the NFL often does in such situations, the goal is to plug it with cement and move on.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is a weird story. When they say tampering, I tend think of something done wrong / against the rules…

The story finishes: “The problem is that the entire ordeal ended up being swept under the rug, with the goal of minimizing any attention paid to the situation, in the hopes that no one will fully explore the rabbit hole. “

WTH?

Report: Vic Fangio “probably” would be Eagles defensive coordinator, but for Jonathan Gannon tampering​

After a report emerged that Eagles consultant Vic Fangio was poised to become the defensive coordinator in Miami, questions emerged as to whether he’d succeed Jonathan Gannon in Philly, if/when Gannon left.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com, the tampering shenanigans involving the Cardinals and Gannon resulted in Fangio not sticking around.

“The interesting part about it would be this, I think it impacted a lot of peoples’ lives,” Schefter said in an appearance on 97.5 The Fanatic. “Vic Fangio, for example, probably would not have taken the Dolphins defensive coordinator job and would be the defensive coordinator in Philadelphia today if everything was on the up and up. And so it didn’t just impact the Cardinals and their job with Jonathan Gannon, it impacted others as well. . . . So I think that are certain people that might not be pleased with the way everything went down.”

Schefter didn’t elaborate on the connection between the Gannon tampering and Fangio moving on. Apparently the Eagles didn’t realize Gannon would be leaving before the door closed on keeping Fangio around.

While Schefter tiptoed around saying it, he seems to think this thing was a bigger mess than we’ve all been led to believe.

“I think everybody knows, in any line of work, if they’re on an expiring contract or they’re under consideration, they still have responsibilities to their employer to finish the job the right way,” Schefter said. “In this particular case, I just think the Eagles weren’t comfortable with the information that they learned and Jeffrey [Lurie] brought it up to Michael Bidwill, and this is where the organizations wound up.”

The problem is that the entire ordeal ended up being swept under the rug, with the goal of minimizing any attention paid to the situation, in the hopes that no one will fully explore the rabbit hole. As the NFL often does in such situations, the goal is to plug it with cement and move on.
I don’t understand. The Cards had a job opening and they filled it with Gannon. Are they saying that the Cards were courting Gannon before the season ended? Coaches have announced hiring during the playoffs haven’t they?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don’t understand. The Cards had a job opening and they filled it with Gannon. Are they saying that the Cards were courting Gannon before the season ended? Coaches have announced hiring during the playoffs haven’t they?
I don't understand it either.

It looks to me like a stir the pot story, with hope someone will pursue "more".

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Well, brining up the Turds thread in the forum reminds me again of how they could be juggernauts in the '24 draft. I'm going to have to be rooting for the Texans this year and actually hoping the Cards win some games. In no world do I want them to have the 1st and 2nd pick in the '24 draft. Imagine the ludicrous trade down offers they will get for Caleb or Drake? Franchise changing offers. And we might be one of the teams making the offer.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I don't understand it either.

It looks to me like a stir the pot story, with hope someone will pursue "more".
I believe Gannon and the AZ GM had a discussion between the NFC Championship Game and Super Bowl; and that’s not permitted.

I believe it’s already been resolved. The Cardinals and Eagles swapped third rounders.

Think impermissible discussions happen in the NFL but this one came to light. The worst is in Free Agency. Deals were announced one minute into the start of Free Agency, so the NFL adopted a two-day negotiation window.

Now agreements are announced one minute into the two-day-window. It’s a fucking joke.