2022 Salary Cap Update?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Just curious if anyone can give a current Salary Cap Update as it stands now for next season. I thought (I hope!) that I read somewhere that the Rams should be losing a lot of “DEAD MONEY” after this season. It would be NICE if the Rams would have some available Cap Space to Re-Sign some of their own Key/
Important FA’s as well as possibly sign a couple of other quality FA’s!!! Any and All Information will be Greatly Appreciated!!!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Just curious if anyone can give a current Salary Cap Update as it stands now for next season. I thought (I hope!) that I read somewhere that the Rams should be losing a lot of “DEAD MONEY” after this season. It would be NICE if the Rams would have some available Cap Space to Re-Sign some of their own Key/
Important FA’s as well as possibly sign a couple of other quality FA’s!!! Any and All Information will be Greatly Appreciated!!!
It's impossible to say exactly what 2022 looks like because the 2022 salary cap has not yet been set.

I recommend the spotrac.com site.

Information is laid-out really well; and you can highlight various information categories. You can filter for specific information, including by-year. Also gives detail on player contracts. There's a ton of data there but take things with a grain-of-salt because there could be errors or it may not always be fully up-dated.

It can also be a little misleading if you just take a casual look. For example, if you filter for 2022, you would see that Whitworth carries a huge cap hit of $14.666M. However, if you look more closely at his contract you will see that should he retire, the Rams would gain $13M of cap space, and carry $1.666M of dead-$ in 2022.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I was checking and along with Whitworth, I would think Ashawn Robinson could be released or traded. He would save around $6-8M depending if you designate it as a post June 1st release. Add in maybe $10M on a restructured Stafford deal and $2M if they move on from Hekker, and I am guessing they end up with $30M give or take.

Last I checked, OTC lists them as $5M under next yr based on a $208M cap if I recall correctly. They also are about $2M under now, but likely that gets eaten up with incentives paid out at end of yr.

Then the $5M under they are for next yr is for only 44 players. So 7 bottom of the roster bodies to get to 51, at say $800K avg, eats that up.

So with all of that canceling out, I think it will be in that $30M range with the above moves.

Now the question is who do you spend it on? Outside guys? The OL? Miller & Beckham?

I would think OL is the priority, but I would focus on Allen & Noteboom based on their position. I think Corbett might be the best player, but easier to replace a G vs LT or C.

If money is there maybe an outside CB if they move on from Williams or can't afford him.

Miller comes down to a lot of unknown's right now. What does he have left? Will he take less to be here, etc...

Same goes for Beckham.

I just don't see that it's worth holding on to them and costing you younger players that you will need.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I wouldn't be surprised that if the Broncos go get Rodgers or Wilson, that Miller goes back there to Denver.

Would kind of make us look foolish...giving up a 2 & a 3 for a rental and the Broncos get him back.

dang

Legend
I wouldn't be surprised that if the Broncos go get Rodgers or Wilson, that Miller goes back there to Denver.

Would kind of make us look foolish...giving up a 2 & a 3 for a rental and the Broncos get him back.
There is literally no chance of this happening. If the Rams don’t lock him up then some team would pay more than Denver to pick him up as a FA.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
As for the dead money question yes a lot of that, for now, is off the books after this year. We'll go from 41 million in dead money this year to like $500k next year. We will however have some contracts with large cap his, Kupp is our 5th biggest hit next year at $18.3 million for example. They want to keep Miller and OBJ but will the cap go up enough to allow that? Only time will tell as for now these cap sites are going forward with a guess at what the cap will be. Right now they show us with $7.5 million in space but a long list of free agents.

1637684746135.png

We have a lot of picks but our first is not until the 3rd round comp. Whitworth could also be retiring which means we need a LT in free agency or to retain Noteboom which could eat a lot of his cap hit that we'd save on.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
There is literally no chance of this happening. If the Rams don’t lock him up then some team would pay more than Denver to pick him up as a FA.
If his home team gets Rodgers you don't think he would go back?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I was checking and along with Whitworth, I would think Ashawn Robinson could be released or traded. He would save around $6-8M depending if you designate it as a post June 1st release. Add in maybe $10M on a restructured Stafford deal and $2M if they move on from Hekker, and I am guessing they end up with $30M give or take.

Last I checked, OTC lists them as $5M under next yr based on a $208M cap if I recall correctly. They also are about $2M under now, but likely that gets eaten up with incentives paid out at end of yr.

Then the $5M under they are for next yr is for only 44 players. So 7 bottom of the roster bodies to get to 51, at say $800K avg, eats that up.

So with all of that canceling out, I think it will be in that $30M range with the above moves.

Now the question is who do you spend it on? Outside guys? The OL? Miller & Beckham?

I would think OL is the priority, but I would focus on Allen & Noteboom based on their position. I think Corbett might be the best player, but easier to replace a G vs LT or C.

If money is there maybe an outside CB if they move on from Williams or can't afford him.

Miller comes down to a lot of unknown's right now. What does he have left? Will he take less to be here, etc...

Same goes for Beckham.

I just don't see that it's worth holding on to them and costing you younger players that you will need.
Makes a lot of sense and is why I picked Allen, Noteboom and Miller as the FA's they keep on another thread. I don't see them cutting A'Shawn, unless they could get a great deal on SJD. They have to keep one or the other, imo. Even if Brown takes a nice jump, they'd still need another solid guy in the rotation next year.

I really wonder what Williams is going to get on the open market. Unless he gets really hot, I can't imagine it would be much. He hasn't been physical or able to do much shadowing this season.. scheme issues or not.. he just hasn't been good.