OFFICIAL 2022 Rams Training Camp Thread (General News and Notes)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
They have been trying out Anchrum at C which is a better fit for him than OG. They obviously are looking at a #3 C in their depth chart. If he can master making the OL calls he could be a decent backup OG/C.

I would rather see Shelton at LG than RG. He can play both positions, but Edwards IMO is the weak link on this OL. Bruss could play LG, but it would be a transition for him. You would expect that if they start a rookie it would be on his normal side due to muscle memory.

AJ jackson also seems to be continuing this development with his hand usage and footwork. I think Jackson will be a good backup OT this year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There is a reason the Rams loved this kid and @So Ram I love Brian Allen so there, it's been posted.
My coach just thinking about connections. The Rams have some inside track on some players & teammates.

An example would be Amp Lee. Just joking or Barenone? Yeah maybe a Niners reference in one way & tie it with DS21 from FSU.

RAMsey & Cam Akers
Edwards,Havenstien with Bruzzzzz

Not looking it up,but Brian did go to MSU & then now The Rams 7th rd pick OLineman from there helps the knowledge & inside track of a player when doing a back ground check.

The Rams do a GREAT job finding & developing players.Those comp picks mean so much because it continues the rebuild every season & go through that process.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
They have been trying out Anchrum at C which is a better fit for him than OG. They obviously are looking at a #3 C in their depth chart. If he can master making the OL calls he could be a decent backup OG/C.

I would rather see Shelton at LG than RG. He can play both positions, but Edwards IMO is the weak link on this OL. Bruss could play LG, but it would be a transition for him. You would expect that if they start a rookie it would be on his normal side due to muscle memory.

AJ jackson also seems to be continuing this development with his hand usage and footwork. I think Jackson will be a good backup OT this year.

Just getting started

Actually yeah - I like your post,but hardly agree with them.You bring up good topics,just think your knowledge & ideas on certain players are like Way———-“.- — off

Especially when it comes to The OFFENSIVE Line. I made a mistake with Coleman Shelton.He is a better player than I thought.Weather he is on the right or left side I don’t know.

I do know David Edwards & Big Rob are nice players

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
Too early to tell about Shelton at RG. It all depends upon Bruss showing he can play in TC. That won't come until later in camp it's premature to be saying Shelton is the favorite at RG. Remember they did this with Corbett at center and everyone was hyped about that but I said then and I say now it's too early. They are slotting people on the depth chart at different positions at this point in TC. Turfshow should know this but an article like that is clickbait.

Bruss would have to show he can't start. With his work ethic, I don't think that will happen. He's still in the acclimation stage of camp and in order to not slow things down Shelton is playing there. I think if Edwards continues to be inconsistent at LG we could see Shelton take over there. Or they may think Bruss needs development time and could be looked at next year's LG.

Too many moving parts to say things other than, like they are looking at Anchrum for depth at C. Kromer was wrong Anchrum isn't an OT at this level, just like Edwards is a poor OG for similar reasons. You want your OG's 6'3"-6'5" for a reason. The taller the harder it is to play consistently low for leverage.

David Edwards has been consistently the lowest rated player on the OL for good reason. I believe that extending Shelton for 2 years is a reflection by the FO that Edwards will not be extended next year. Part of the problem in the run game is Edwards being hit or miss on the second level. Corbett could have been better on the second level as well. Havenstein will cost too much to extend. Jackson should be ready to take over and ultimately be an upgrade IMO. I think they feel Snyder will take Evan's roster spot either this year or next.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

LA Times

Elliott: Matthew Stafford slinging passes and title talk — just don't mention that Instagram photo​

Helene Elliott
Mon, July 25, 2022 at 3:09 PM

IRVNE, CA - JULY 24, 2022: Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford makes a pass.

Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford passes during training camp at UC Irvine on Sunday. (Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times)

Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford has been busy since he and his teammates lifted the Lombardi trophy as the winners of Super Bowl LVI.

Before the last drops of champagne had dried, Stafford signed a four-year contract extension that includes $120 million guaranteed.

He also became the star of a clever AT&T commercial that ends with him offering a wink and a subtle nod toward the 12 years he spent in Detroit before the Rams acquired him from the Lions in January 2021.

He capped his eventful offseason with a surprising debut on Instagram. A photo of him wearing the Rams’ huge and glittery championship ring appeared a few days ago on an account with his name and a blue verification check mark, causing a stir because he had long avoided engaging with social media.

It was a big deal. Almost as big a deal as the fact that on Sunday, the opening day of the Rams’ training camp at UC Irvine, Stafford threw passes for the first time since he received an anti-inflammatory injection in his right arm soon after the Super Bowl.

He was happier with his throwing than his social media venture.

“Listen, I have no clue. I have no idea,” an embarrassed Stafford said of the Instagram post, which featured the ring but cropped out his wife Kelly. “You can ask me all the football questions you want. Don’t ask me about that.”

As for the football part, he said all went fine Sunday with his arm, which had nagged him during the Rams’ march to the championship. He threw smoothly, surely, regaining his timing and footing and shaking off the rust that had accumulated because he didn’t throw during minicamp or offseason workouts.

His activity was encouraging for teammates as they began what they hope will be another long journey that ends with another diamond-studded, impossible-to-wear championship ring.

“I knew he’d be great,” said defensive tackle Aaron Donald, who had hinted at retiring before his contract was restructured in June to make him the highest-paid player who’s not a quarterback in NFL history. “He’s a tough guy. I knew he’d be ready.”

Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford passes at training camp on Sunday.

Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford passes at training camp on Sunday. (Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times)

Stafford plunged immediately into the tasks at hand. He reestablished his connections with wide receivers Cooper Kupp and Van Jefferson and tight end Tyler Higbee and began to get a read on wide receiver Allen Robinson, who made a few outstanding sideline grabs and others in traffic, true to his reputation as one of the NFL’s best receivers in contested-catch situations.

Robinson, who signed with the Rams as a free agent, and Kupp give the Rams versatility and quality options. Coach Sean McVay called Robinson “a pro’s pro,” a compliment Stafford seconded.

“Allen’s a really intelligent player,” said Stafford, who saw a lot of Robinson and became a fan while Robinson played for the Chicago Bears and Stafford played for the Lions. “I’ve been really impressed by his ability to not only pick up what we’re doing X’s and Os and lines on a piece of paper, but just kind of the nuanced stuff of what we’re trying to accomplish on each play. When you have guys that can think like that and play like that, it makes my job a lot easier.”

Stafford will be on a pitch count throughout camp, as McVay put it, though McVay said that didn’t restrict Stafford from doing anything Sunday. Stafford said there’s a day-to-day plan in place for him to build up his arm strength, but he hopes it’s fluid and acknowledged he might chafe if he feels too limited.

“It’s an interesting thing, trying to have a little bit of governor on there and at the same time, just try and be as smart as I can. It’s a process,” he said. “Gonna have to sit there, work through it, trust it, and we’ll figure it out as we go.”

It was a solid opening day of camp for the Rams, who still have a few things to sort out as camp continues.

Rams coach Sean McVay speaks with quarterback Matthew Stafford at training camp on Sunday.

Rams coach Sean McVay speaks with quarterback Matthew Stafford at training camp on Sunday. (Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times)

McVay said the team didn’t put All-Pro cornerback Jalen Ramsey (shoulder surgery) on the physically unable to perform list because doctors cleared Ramsey to participate in jog-throughs and “above-the-neck stuff.”

McVay added, “To be able to have him out here with his teammates, with all the different things that we ask of him, he felt good about that. We felt good about that.” But McVay said safety Quentin Lake, who was drafted out of UCLA, was put on the PUP list out of caution because of a knee injury.

The lineup will take shape in the coming weeks. The Rams’ approach is already set. Their mantra is they’ve turned the page on their championship season and they're willing to do what it takes to repeat, difficult as that will be.

“It's a different team. It's a different year. Just because we did something last year doesn’t mean anything’s going to happen this year. We’ve got to go out there and earn it,” Stafford said.

“Those opportunities that we got to play in those games last year were earned. You ask yourself what kind of opportunities are you willing to earn? It comes with sacrifice and hard work and being a great teammate, and all that kind of stuff."

Their journey began on a hot July afternoon. Just don't rely on Stafford's social media accounts for updates on how it ends.

This story originally appeared in Los Angeles Times.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Too early to tell about Shelton at RG. It all depends upon Bruss showing he can play in TC. That won't come until later in camp it's premature to be saying Shelton is the favorite at RG. Remember they did this with Corbett at center and everyone was hyped about that but I said then and I say now it's too early. They are slotting people on the depth chart at different positions at this point in TC. Turfshow should know this but an article like that is clickbait.

Bruss would have to show he can't start. With his work ethic, I don't think that will happen. He's still in the acclimation stage of camp and in order to not slow things down Shelton is playing there. I think if Edwards continues to be inconsistent at LG we could see Shelton take over there. Or they may think Bruss needs development time and could be looked at next year's LG.

Too many moving parts to say things other than, like they are looking at Anchrum for depth at C. Kromer was wrong Anchrum isn't an OT at this level, just like Edwards is a poor OG for similar reasons. You want your OG's 6'3"-6'5" for a reason. The taller the harder it is to play consistently low for leverage.

David Edwards has been consistently the lowest rated player on the OL for good reason. I believe that extending Shelton for 2 years is a reflection by the FO that Edwards will not be extended next year. Part of the problem in the run game is Edwards being hit or miss on the second level. Corbett could have been better on the second level as well. Havenstein will cost too much to extend. Jackson should be ready to take over and ultimately be an upgrade IMO. I think they feel Snyder will take Evan's roster spot either this year or next.
Totally agree. McVay always uses this time to cross train a bit just in case shit hits the fan. No more Hankeys flying around yet lol

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Need A’Shawn on that list
Absolutely.

Honestly, I think even some Rams fans undervalue what he contributed in the playoffs last year. Dude was an absolute beast. Have said it before, but if that's the guy the Rams get all 17 regular season games.. no one is running on the Rams. No one.
(Yes, Wagner and Jones will have a real impact on this as well.)

MachS

Hall of Fame
Great long segment showing the Rams TC on NFLN right now on inside training camp. They’ve been showing live footage for like 20min straight now it’s amazing. ARob looks so smooth. Staff looks perfectly fine. Noteboom looks great moving. Cam looks strong.

MachS

Hall of Fame
WR room looking good. Did Tutu get a little bigger or am I seeing things? ARob just a monster physically.

45A557AD-9868-4780-9F7A-69481BD4A9F6.jpeg

9F4F478E-76FE-4E25-99A4-F47AEFB69980.jpeg

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Great long segment showing the Rams TC on NFLN right now on inside training camp. They’ve been showing live footage for like 20min straight now it’s amazing. ARob looks so smooth. Staff looks perfectly fine. Noteboom looks great moving. Cam looks strong.
Having Allen Robinson having a full offseason in the program and a healthy Van Jefferson will help this be a record-setting year for the Rams passing game, imo.
I could easily envision ARob & Kupp surpassing what Holt and Bruce did in 2000 as a duo.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I"m planning on attending all the TC practices and posting a report on all of them here at ROD. Hopefully
I'll be hanging with my friend and fellow ROD member VeteranRamFan.

I'm wondering if I should post a Pre-TC Report the day before TC outlining how TC progresses, what I intend to key on and a little about myself and what little I know about football.

What ya'all think?
Whatever you can get to us will be very appreciated. I think we all love your reports. Or maybe I should say NEED your reports.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Having Allen Robinson having a full offseason in the program and a healthy Van Jefferson will help this be a record-setting year for the Rams passing game, imo.
I could easily envision ARob & Kupp surpassing what Holt and Bruce did in 2000 as a duo.
Yea fully agree. He’s just such a perfect fit with Stanford and this offense. With no OBJ for a while ARob should have huge TD numbers this yr. Hopefully Van and Tutu both take steps as well.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Re: Bruss. Rams have a history under McVay of not starting expected starters who are rookies at their spots at the start of training camp. I think this is a case of people being too clever by half. Believe what you hear. They expect Bruss to start, they're not handing it to him ala how they've brought players along in the past.

If Bruss doesn't pass Shelton mid camp, I would expect that the Rams brass would be very disappointed. That being said, if Shelton were to blow him out of the water (very unlikely but not impossible), they're not gonna just sit him for a draft pick they like.