2022 NFL rule changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Just once I'd like to see them simplify shit for the refs. Less they have to look for the easier their jobs are and the better the product should be.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just once I'd like to see them simplify shit for the refs. Less they have to look for the easier their jobs are and the better the product should be.
It still baffles me they depend on part time employees of this age range and a chain on the sideline to determine a first down. We have gps tracking to tell us all the movement numbers of players but we can't do the same with the silly little pigskin? Get your shit together NFL!

:D

that would make it easier for them.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It still baffles me they depend on part time employees of this age range and a chain on the sideline to determine a first down. We have gps tracking to tell us all the movement numbers of players but we can't do the same with the silly little pigskin? Get your shit together NFL!

I dunno about the part time employee part. I just have never viewed that as the problem. I think moreso they just keep adding things and changing things up to make it so NO human can be consistent and right sufficiently to please the fans.

Is it replay that heightens our awareness? Better cameras and angles? Or is it really that the fast, hard hitting, violent game we all grew up with and loved is something we all have to get over.

Personally, I think it's that the NFL is trying to avoid huge lawsuits and this fear is driving a huge divide between trying to keep the most popular sport in the world relevant and making enormous profit over making sense.

It's like doing potentially dangerous things in a foreign country versus in the US. Good luck. Instead of "you're on your own", it's "there's no way we're doing it". The potential lawsuits fuck up a lot of fun - good or bad

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yeah if I'm the commish I would want to have a group of refs that are only refs and would pay them accordingly. Make it a high profile job, make it competitive with a class going through a ref academy every year to ensure a stream of good candidates, and employ the best of them.

And absolutely embrace technology. They track player speed now with chips, so put one in each end of the ball and network the TV systems to show ball location. :thumbsup1:

jjab360

Legend
We have them every year and this year won't be any different. So far just one change that I've seen.

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1529168337879433216

Anything you all are hoping for being changed or heard is being discussed?

Huh? Why the QB coach specifically?

I thought the Rooney Rule only applied to head coaches? Has it already been applied to offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator positions prior to this rule change?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I thought the Rooney Rule only applied to head coaches? Has it already been applied to offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator positions prior to this rule change?
Gateway position. This is to require teams to interview a minority or female candidate for QB coach as well. Added to HC and front office positions.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF

Why not just spot the ball to the closest yard line with the exception of goal to go situations? There it would be placed at the dead ball spot.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I've actually agreed with most of the NFL rule changes over the last 15 years.

I don't agree with them all, but I have no gripes with the latest rules.

pg2_e_tmq0816_576.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

With all the technology used so far, replay etc… has it made things better?

Or, have we created a climate where we pick apart everything?

EasyE

Starter
Get rid of instant replay....bring back the human element to the game...fooling the refs is a talent too....they get just as many calls wrong with replay as without....

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I think offensive holding needs to be simplified. I think it was Madden that said that holding occurs on every play. What's frustrating is when they choose to call it.

ADblock.jpg

I would lean towards allowing holding as long as a jersey isn't grabbed or the defender isn't wrapped up and tackled. All of the rules around whether the hands are inside or outside of the shoulder pads can go as far as I'm concerned.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

It makes too much sense. The only reason that I can think of not to do it is that the league doesn’t want to lose the ability to affect outcomes when they want. Why else wouldn’t they do it? It would make a refs job easier.

The fans want fairness. Instant replay helps provide that. With no checks and balances the NFL would become the WWE, especially with their marriage to Vegas.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yes, they added Coordinators to the Rooney rule when they added GM candidates.
So now QB coach is included.
I'm all for it, I dont see the harm in it, but it still doesnt "fix" what is a bigger issue. If they put a moratorium on interviewing/hiring coaches until after SB, it would allow the process to be "fair" for all involved.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno about the part time employee part. I just have never viewed that as the problem. I think moreso they just keep adding things and changing things up to make it so NO human can be consistent and right sufficiently to please the fans.
This right here
The part time thing is way over blown IMO, its semantics.
But the technology piece is frustrating. The game is too fast to rely solely on eye sight, although I also believe that for all the calls that are missed it is amazing how often they are correct. Its like the old adage about restaurants, if someone loves their meal, they tell 2 people, if they hate it they tell 100....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Excellent point. But it seems like we're not going to go back to letting the refs run the show. So maybe use the technology to make it easier for them. Knowing where the ball is should help them get it right when they get challenged and are using replay. But yeah it would probably lead to more instances of refs having calls overturned via NY.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
There were so many great female QBs in the NFL, this is an awesome idea.

Hey, I could easily apply! Of course, it would be for the GM position when Snead inevitably retires, but still!