2021 NFL CBA: playoff seeding

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...r-change-to-the-way-playoff-teams-are-seeded/

NFLPA president wants to see the NFL make a major change to the way playoff teams are seeded

The NFL has changed a lot over the past 30 years, but if there's one thing that hasn't really changed at all, it's the postseason.

The NFL's current playoff format has been in place since 1990 when the field was expanded from 10 teams to 12 teams. Although there haven't really been any changes made over the past 29 seasons, it's very possible that changes could be coming in the near future as the NFL and NFLPA get ready to hunker down and start negotiating the new collective bargaining agreement.

On the NFL's end, it seems that league would like to make at least one big change to the format. As CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reported this week, the NFL is looking to add an extra playoff game to each conference. The league would do that by potentially expanding the playoff field from 12 to 14 teams.

If that change gets brought to the negotiating table by the league, don't be surprised if NFLPA president Eric Winston brings his own idea for change to the table. Although Winston doesn't necessarily want to see the playoffs expanded, he does want to see the NFL completely change how it seeds teams during the postseason.

In a recent interview with NBC Sports, Winston wrote that he would like to see playoff teams seeded by record, not by whether or not they won a division title. If that format sounds familiar, it's probably because it's the same format that was implemented by the NBA during the 2015-16 season.

If the NFL playoffs had seeded teams by record in 2018, the postseason would have looked like this in the AFC (Actual seed from 2018 playoffs):

1. Chiefs (1)
2. Chargers (5)
3. Patriots (2)
4. Texans (3)
5. Ravens (4)
6. Colts (6)

The biggest difference here is that the Patriots would have had to play in the wild-card round against the Colts instead of getting a bye to the divisional round. Not only would the Patriots' bye week have gone to the Chargers, but the Ravens wouldn't have gotten a home game for winning the AFC North. Instead, Baltimore would have opened on the road against the Texans.

Basically, with the exception of Kansas City and Indianapolis, every team's seed would have been different.

In the NFC, the postseason field would have looked like this:

1. Saints (1)
2. Rams (2)
3. Bears (3)
4. Seahawks (5)
5. Cowboys (4)
6. Eagles (6)

Although there's only one change in the NFC, it would have been kind of a big change. With the Seahawks and Cowboys both finishing 10-6, Seattle would have nabbed the fourth seed since they had a head-to-head win over Dallas. This change means the Seahawks-Cowboys wild-card game that was played in Dallas last season would have been played in Seattle under Winston's format. The Seahawks likely would have been favored in that game since they went 6-2 at home and the Cowboys went 3-5 on the road.

Unfortunately for Bears fans, not even Winston's format can save you: You still lose to the Eagles on a double-doink field goal in the wild-card round.

Winston's format is pretty simple and it would make a lot of sense for the NFL to implement it. Basically, it rewards the best teams for being the best.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

winning your division is the fabric of which the nfl is made of throughout the years. now they want to take that away? why do they keep trying to ruin the game?

Kevin

Pro Bowler

winning your division is the fabric of which the nfl is made of throughout the years. now they want to take that away? why do they keep trying to ruin the game?

Well, there are only four teams in each division, so teams play only 6 games out of 16 against division opponents. Seems that winning your division hinges more on how well you play teams outside your division than inside.

RamsCardsJazz

Starter

I used to agree with that, until the 7-9 Seahawks had to host the Saints in the playoffs (in Bradford's rookie year). That is not fair and home field advantage does matter in the NFL, as the Seahawks won that game.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ugh...

I'm either getting old and I just don't like change, or these changes do actually suck.

:rant:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ugh...

I'm either getting old and I just don't like change, or these changes do actually suck.

:rant:

HAHA. I'm right there with you!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

Division winners would still make the playoffs. But if their wild card opponent has the better record they would play on the road instead of at home. I could see where a 11-5 team having to play a 7-9 team on the road would seem unfair. Which was the case with the Saints and Seahawks.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
i like that proposed change. winning division deserves a playoff spot but record should dictate seed/homefield

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’ve seen nothing but bad ideas imo about the upcoming cba.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Yea I support this. Don't change how playoff berths are rewarded, but just reseed all playoff teams once they are in. Simple. Also, expanding the playoffs too two more teams would eliminate the bye week berths as well right?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I just don't see it as a much needed change but meh.... It won't hit my radar near as much as the idea of removing kick offs.

bluecoconuts

Legend

I don't have an issue with reseeding. Winning the division gets you in the playoffs, but the best two teams earn the bye. Fine with me.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Division rivalries are part of the appeal of this game.

Games against the Hawks, Niners and Cards SHOULD still have that extra flavor.

Changing the format to “all seeding based on record” would mean a game against the Bucs would have the same importance as a game against the hated Niners.

Nope, please don’t change it.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Yea I support this. Don't change how playoff berths are rewarded, but just reseed all playoff teams once they are in. Simple. Also, expanding the playoffs too two more teams would eliminate the bye week berths as well right?

I think they want 14 team playoff so 7 per conference. So I’m guessing only 1 team in each conference would have a bye now. Idk it’s a weird setup tbh

Division rivalries are part of the appeal of this game.

Games against the Hawks, Niners and Cards SHOULD still have that extra flavor.

Changing the format to “all seeding based on record” would mean a game against the Bucs would have the same importance as a game against the hated Niners.

Nope, please don’t change it.

Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. Aside from a head to head tiebreaker, division wins will continue to be most important wins

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. Aside from a head to head tiebreaker, division wins will continue to be most important wins

Right now, the four division winners are guaranteed the top four seeds. I prefer it that way. Yes, it sometimes means a division winner (say, with a 9-7 record) would host a wildcard team with a better record (say,11-5).

If you seed completely based on record, however, then you would have the 11-5 wildcard team host the 9-7 division winner. Yes, perhaps that seems more fair, but then it means exactly what I said, earlier— that all conference games would count exactly the same. Division games would no longer carry more weight than other in-conference games.

Take a look at the NBA, for example. Seeding is based entirely by conference. There is no importance given to “divisions” anymore, playoff seeding is entirely based on conferences.

Edit: just read an article about NBA seeding procedures, and found this quote:

Why does the old division system even exist? Well, it still exists but the rewards of winning a division are now pretty miniscule, unless you like “Division Champion” banners.

Yeah, no thanks.

Last edited:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I suppose I could live with the best record seeding idea as long as winning your division is an automatic berth. Winning your division should still mean something. After all, that's how you begin to build a team--to beat your division foes. It's also a quick formula for a turnaround. See that 7-9 seahawk team.

Then again, being in a tougher division is already a disadvantage when somebody else is running away with theirs. There's a seeding advantage to team with an easier division schedule. See the cheatriots or the colts during the manning years.

My concern is the NEXT step.
"How can you justify a 10 win team staying home when someone else gets an automatic bid at 8-8 or 9-7?"

You win your division, you're in. Period. THAT should never be touched.

As for 2 more playoff teams, no. We can't have nearly half of the league in the playoffs AND 18 games. Guys aren't gonna last very long.