2017 Season-Defining Plays

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Looking back over 2017 I think the one play that most defined the season was the sack of Chris Long on Jared with the game on the line. Why was it the most season-defining play? Because it directly led to Philly winning that game and eventually retaining home field advantage on the way to the Super Bowl. Before that game the Rams were 1-1 (ok goin off memory here) vs the eventual playoff field and a win at home vs Philly might have dramatically changed things going into the playoffs.

Not being negative here, either. It was an amazing season, one of the best in memory for us IMO. And great growth/lesson for Jared going into this season. That the strip sack came at the hands of former Ram Chris Long, with former Ram Rodney McLeod scooping the critical turnover, and eventually losing at the hands of former Rams QB Nick Foles... Well it just feels like destiny or something at work.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_WqUPIc2EU

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
That Chris Long sack was also a hard lesson for McVay not to abandon the run. Fortunately the team as a whole was pissed and thrashed the Seahawks the week after, that Todd Gurley run was a thing of beauty as the 12th man disappeared on that stadium faster than a Thanos snap.

tempests

Hall of Fame

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7aCPS7b_ac

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqSMSLmCkNw

Rams overcoming penalties and poor field position. Those things used to routinely defeat the Rams but not anymore.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRMdZp_MhIM

Rams had other big defensive stands in the Dallas and SF games, but IMO the best example of how the defense changed from 2016 to 2017. In such a critical moment, in such a critical game, Rams showed they had what playoff teams have.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxb6sbSt8jI

Years and years without an effective screen pass game, but the Rams now had the league's best, and they gutted defenses with it all season.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Years and years without an effective screen pass game, but the Rams now had the league's best, and they gutted defenses with it all season.
And look for Cooks to improve that with bubble screens and the like.

JRobinson

MiLB
Honestly, the season defining play was made when Kronke brought in Wonderkid McVay... who brought in Phillips...

Sure, these are amazing plays that happened last year, and of course, I realize what the thread implies. But let’s be serious, our entire season was a defining play in itself because of the off-season moves.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I don't mean to be a negative downer, but this is one the most defining moments of the 2017 season for me. :banghead:

I forgive you Pharoh but don't ever let it happen again in a game of this magnitude.

No excuses for something that you have control over... at least most of the time.

The 49er Thursday night fumble late in the 4th quarter was also brutal even though they still won the game.

Ball security for returners is not something I'm very forgiving of. It's one thing it's the perfect helmet jarring pop-out or amazing blindside strip punch etc...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oOd0dfLnqU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U2m-lRgMT8

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Looking back over 2017 I think the one play that most defined the season was the sack of Chris Long on Jared with the game on the line.

I agree, Merlin. If I could crank up the ol’ time machine and go back and change ONE play, that would be a good one to choose.

If not for that play, Rams have a real good chance to hold on and win the game, and get the bye week and the number one seed, and....

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I would say the Cooper Kupp fumble vs the Vikings at the goal line. We score, it's a completely different game. Then were playing for homefield advantage week 17.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After watching the Atlanta playoff game again, I think it’s Pharoh Cooper giving up the 2nd fumble on a run back. Pharoh was the mayor of Choke City that game. (Forgive me for saying this) he was so bad, at the time I thought he was maybe being blackmailed to tank the game. Ha ha. Nerves, I guess. We never recovered. Not everyone is ready for their first playoff experience. At least we got that first playoff game over with.

I do admit the Chris Long play on Goff versus the Philly Cheese Steaks still plays in the back of my mind. I think karma caught up with us a bit last year. Long, Keenum, Foles, etcetera etcetera.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

This to me was the defining play of the season. This is when belief that the improvement we were seeing was real and set the team up for the best season in years.
While the sack of Goff was season altering in terms of seeding, it was not defining. Nor were any of the plays in the Atlanta game. Disappointing yes, but the definition of last season is not a negative. It should be positive. It was an amazing season and is the first step to what this team will ultimately be.

jjab360

Legend
I don't really see how people can say a negative play defined the season when last season couldn't be defined as anything but positive imo. No, we didn't win the SB, but we finally turned it around after over a decade of futility.

The season defining play for me was Gurley's long TD against the Hags. Statement play in a statement game of a statement season. Rams own the NFC West now and soon the entire NFL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why was Darnell Williams playing T on that play instead of Hav?

I was wondering the same thing. Long basically just ran around him, wasn't any real skill involved in that particular play. Perfect storm with McVay going away from the run a bit too much plus Goff not having that vet timer in his head to get rid of the ball quicker in that crucial moment.

I was goin crazy when that happened lol. One satisfying win right there.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This to me was the defining play of the season. This is when belief that the improvement we were seeing was real and set the team up for the best season in years.
While the sack of Goff was season altering in terms of seeding, it was not defining. Nor were any of the plays in the Atlanta game. Disappointing yes, but the definition of last season is not a negative. It should be positive. It was an amazing season and is the first step to what this team will ultimately be.

Ditto everything you said. Irrespective of how Dallas finished, that was a huge win for the Rams at that point of the season - even more so when you consider it was gut check time after a bad first half and being down by 11 at the break. Both O and D had to come up big, on the road, and they did. And THAT play gave the Rams a lead they would never relinquish.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Why was Darnell Williams playing T on that play instead of Hav?

I was wondering the same thing. Long basically just ran around him, wasn't any real skill involved in that particular play. Perfect storm with McVay going away from the run a bit too much plus Goff not having that vet timer in his head to get rid of the ball quicker in that crucial moment.

Havenstein injured his leg before then. Whitworth was also injured, but returned to the game.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking back over 2017 I think the one play that most defined the season was the sack of Chris Long on Jared with the game on the line. Why was it the most season-defining play? Because it directly led to Philly winning that game and eventually retaining home field advantage on the way to the Super Bowl. Before that game the Rams were 1-1 (ok goin off memory here) vs the eventual playoff field and a win at home vs Philly might have dramatically changed things going into the playoffs.

Not being negative here, either. It was an amazing season, one of the best in memory for us IMO. And great growth/lesson for Jared going into this season. That the strip sack came at the hands of former Ram Chris Long, with former Ram Rodney McLeod scooping the critical turnover, and eventually losing at the hands of former Rams QB Nick Foles... Well it just feels like destiny or something at work.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_WqUPIc2EU

I've often thought of this play. IMO it's the season defining play for the entire NFL season.

Not just because it was a good play by Long - because I mean really, he's not nearly as good as he was in his prime.

But moreso because Rob Havenstein was injured for this play. McVay talked about it after the game and how he shouldn't have called that play with the backup OL in the game. Why is that significant? Well, without that strip, we beat Philly. We play our starters in week 17 against the Niners to secure a first round bye.

Philly goes on the road twice and IMO no way they win the super bowl.

Crazy how Rob Havenstein getting injured influenced the outcome of the super bowl.