2014 NFL Draft: Is Aaron Donald a fit for the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know that yours is a viewpoint shared by many in the NFL fanbase, and that's fine. I suppose we'll just have to continue to suck at those positions while they get filled by late-round picks and UDFAs.

There's a fundamental flaw in your logic. Rookie starters often struggle and are very inconsistent. So if we're passing on a superior talent JUST to fill a hole today. That's a mistake. Because there's no guarantee that the rookie we draft will be ready to be an impact starter in year 1 EVEN IF he ends up becoming a good starter down the road.

People don't really put enough consideration into that. Look at Tavon. Look at how he struggled mightily early on and didn't really seem to hit his stride until the second half of the year.

That's why need should not dictate who you draft. It should be part of your formula but talent should be a greater part of that formula. And Aaron Donald is absolutely work picking at #13 regardless of what we need today. I've been saying it for awhile now, that kid is a stud. He's the type of player that will take over games. I don't know if you saw the Robert Quinn video posted here but Chuck Pagano said, "I thought we weren't going to let him wreck the game!" Aaron Donald is the type of player that can wreck a game. And those players are rare. Having two of those players on the same DL along with guys like Brockers and Long would be lethal. Because you can't double team both. And if you don't double team them, they're going to disrupt the offensive game-plan.

Kendall Langford is a solid player but you don't pass on future stars because of a solid player. Look at the Vikings drafting Adrian Peterson when they had 1200+ yard rusher Chester Taylor. The Lions drafted Calvin Johnson following a year in which they had two 1000 yard WRs. The Rams drafted Robert Quinn following a year where they had James Hall record 10.5 sacks and Chris Long lead the NFL in QB disruptions.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
There's a fundamental flaw in your logic. Rookie starters often struggle and are very inconsistent. So if we're passing on a superior talent JUST to fill a hole today. That's a mistake. Because there's no guarantee that the rookie we draft will be ready to be an impact starter in year 1 EVEN IF he ends up becoming a good starter down the road.

People don't really put enough consideration into that. Look at Tavon. Look at how he struggled mightily early on and didn't really seem to hit his stride until the second half of the year.

That's why need should not dictate who you draft. It should be part of your formula but talent should be a greater part of that formula. And Aaron Donald is absolutely work picking at #13 regardless of what we need today. I've been saying it for awhile now, that kid is a stud. He's the type of player that will take over games. I don't know if you saw the Robert Quinn video posted here but Chuck Pagano said, "I thought we weren't going to let him wreck the game!" Aaron Donald is the type of player that can wreck a game. And those players are rare. Having two of those players on the same DL along with guys like Brockers and Long would be lethal. Because you can't double team both. And if you don't double team them, they're going to disrupt the offensive game-plan.

Kendall Langford is a solid player but you don't pass on future stars because of a solid player. Look at the Vikings drafting Adrian Peterson when they had 1200+ yard rusher Chester Taylor. The Lions drafted Calvin Johnson following a year in which they had two 1000 yard WRs. The Rams drafted Robert Quinn following a year where they had James Hall record 10.5 sacks and Chris Long lead the NFL in QB disruptions.
Yeah - I'd agree with this. You have to draft thinking long term. Sure we all want to see our first picks start their rookie season and they likely will. But when you get the chance at a game changer, you almost HAVE to go for it. We may differ on the belief of whether Donald is that kind of player but I agree with your reasoning. And I realize it doesn't say that you don't draft because of need. You just don't draft a player because he fills a hole.

Personally, I've always thought that was the role of free agency with a well run organization. They draft well with an eye on talent and fill temporary holes through FA with players that have shown what they can be at this level. Sometimes it's depth. Other times it is to mentor your younger future stars. Still other times it is to get 2-4 years out of a player until your draft is realized. Especially with the new CBA, you can't rely on FA for any kind of sustainability. Sure sometimes you sign a FA because you think they can be a starter for a number of years but when you look at successful franchises, they have generally drafted most of their key players.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Who would be there @ 1.13 that would fit better with the GW defense? If its up to me I using that 1.13 pick on a DT Aaron Donald. When QB's step up to avoid DE's Quinn & Long they will find a short snot knocker laying on them.

Alan

Legend
Were we to pick an OT with our first pick I'd have no problem drafting Donald with our 13th pick. I'd consider it a steal.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Just saw Donald on the NFL network he mentioned having a meeting coming up for a private work out with the Rams and they mentioned he might be a good fit with the Rams at #13

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like Donald.

And, generally, I'm not a DT early guy.