FEATURE 20 Random…QUESTIONS for 2023

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
And, we’re back!

Here is my first list for the 2023 season, and I’m starting with questions:

1. Who will be the starters on the OL?

2. Will Cam Akers’ stellar play from 2022 carry over to this year?

3. Will Matthew Stafford’s reported improved health be evident in his play?

4. Will Cooper Kupp play and, if so, will he look like his old self?

5. Will Cooper Kupp sit and, if so, how long will he be out?

6. Will the supporting WRs look formidable?

7. Will Aaron Donald look like a man with a chip on his shoulder, or just collecting chips?

8. Will draftees (and other young players) go from prospect status, to player status to, dare I say, to star status?

9. Will Sean McVay’s offensive strategy be more run-oriented, more diverse, or different from previous years in some other way?

10. Will Raheem Morris let his young defense play an aggressive style?

11. Will our special teams be special or, at least, competent?

12. Will the 49ers’ QB decisions continue to haunt them?

13. Will Geno Smith come back down to Earth?

14. Will the Cardinals be the worst team in football?

15. Will the Rams get crushed by their early schedule, or raise hope by stealing some wins?

16. Will the Rams be buyers, sellers, or spectators at the trade deadline?

17. Will the dreams of high draft picks and cap space in 2024 sustain fans if things go poorly?

18. Who invented liquid soap and why? (Bonus points if you identify the movie reference?)

19. Will the Rams still have something to play for at Thanksgiving time? How about Christmas? New Year’s?

20. Are you ready for all this?

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
18. Fight club

Kupp back week 3.

Most stars cannot be traded because of their dead money cap implications. Allen and Book, but even Book has a nasty hit in 2024.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Very appropriate first list. Questions and hopes are all we really have at this point.

Especially like the question regarding the 14 draftees that ALL made the initial 53. If even half stick around for a few years it could be a foundational class for the future.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Very appropriate first list. Questions and hopes are all we really have at this point.

Especially like the question regarding the 14 draftees that ALL made the initial 53. If even half stick around for a few years it could be a foundational class for the future.
ummm wait.... so ALL of our draftees made the initial 53???
gonna be a longggg season. That's all I gotta say.
gonna really miss Ramsey back there. Nobody else in the secondary scares anyone.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
And, we’re back!

My best guess is Jackson/Avila/Allen/Anchrum/Havenstein. My preference would be Shelton at center.
If they really are committing to the run this year I like his chances.
I think it will be.
I have my doubts about the first week. Or even month.
See above.
Jefferson is in a contract year. I think he's got a shot at 1000 yards if he stays healthy.
7. Will Aaron Donald look like a man with a chip on his shoulder, or just collecting chips?
He's still a great player. But a 32 year old can only do so much with double and triple teams.
8. Will draftees (and other young players) go from prospect status, to player status to, dare I say, to star status?
Probably not this year. But later, its possible.
9. Will Sean McVay’s offensive strategy be more run-oriented, more diverse, or different from previous years in some other way?
His history says he's pass happy. But if the run is working I think he sticks with it.
I've heard he was just as frustrated as we were with the soft cushion they gave that resulted in a lot of easy pitch and catch plays. Maybe he switches up because aggressive is their best shot defensively. Passive would mean they get picked apart.
Competent at best.
I hope so.
I hope so again.
They have a better shot at that than we do.
15. Will the Rams get crushed by their early schedule, or raise hope by stealing some wins?
I'm hoping for an unexpected win. But I wouldn't put money on it.
Spectators.
17. Will the dreams of high draft picks and cap space in 2024 sustain fans if things go poorly?
Not in the short term
18. Who invented liquid soap and why? (Bonus points if you identify the movie reference?)
Some guy named Tide? More importantly what geniuses decided Tide pods were edible?
19. Will the Rams still have something to play for at Thanksgiving time? How about Christmas? New Year’s?
I'd say no at this point.
Always ready for September football.

dang

Legend

Only if the Rams find solidity in the OL, quality DB starters and improvement in a very green defense (from the start of the season to the end). I know we’ll struggle with Edge, DL and RB depth this year but that can be remedied next year.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gee, 6 months of of individual threads all wrapped up neatly with another...thread.
You seem to have a problem understanding the concept of a forum. The origin of the term is Roman, and it denotes a place of assembly. In the modern vernacular, it refers to a medium of open discussion or expression of ideas.

This, as this is a Rams forum, it should come as no surprise to you when I, or other posters, start a topic for discussion.

It seems to bother you that topics overlap. Well, there are two solutions for that.

First, you can trust that our friendly neighbor moderators will merge topics, as needed, to avoid excessive redundancies.

Second, you can always use that handy-dandy DON’T OPEN THAT THREAD feature…free with your membership at ROD.

Either way, I’m going to be posting weekly 20 Random Thoughts threads for the next 18 weeks, at a minimum. That’s 360 thoughts which I welcome you to consider, respond to, or ignore, as you see fit.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
the 14 draftees that ALL made the initial 53. If even half stick around for a few years it could be......
What kind of quality are we talking anout here?
What if they stick around because of LAR desperation. :)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
And, we’re back!

Alaric Jackson, Steve Avila, Brian Allen, Joseph Noteboom, Rob Havenstein.
No. Kyren Williams, on the other hand, will show notable improvement.
Let's just hope he's healthy.
Hamstrings are tricky things; look no further than Isaac Bruce. I'll say he needs a year of recovery, especially with a setback.
He'll be in and out.
Yes, I do think so, especially if players like Tyler Johnson, Chatarius Atwell, Ben Skowronek, and Van Jefferson break out and rookies like Puka Nacua show why they're hyped.
Yes. The question is, will the secondary be good enough to allow him to eat.
Cobie Durant is going to be the next superstar on the Rams. Ernest Jones is going to be a potential top ten inside linebacker in the league (and they better fucking re-sign him). Avila and A-Jax are going to be studs on the offensive line. Call me crazy, but I bet Tyler Johnson breaks out as well, along with Skowronek and Nacua. I think K-Will is going to be a stud running back on third downs. Ethan Evans will be a stud once he learns how to properly get the most hangtime instead of just booting it.
I could definitely see more 12 personnel, potentially some four wide sets. Otherwise, don't fix what isn't broken. So long as the offensive line protects Stafford (a big if, admittedly), the offense will be great.
I'll have to watch the Seahawks game before answering this question. I'm leaning towards "no", though.
No. We're so young that we'll make mistakes.
Absolutely. I don't think Purdy is the answer, and Darnold certainly isn't. But Bosa could yield fruit for them if they decide to trade him.
13. Will Geno Smith come back down to Earth
No. Not with the cast of solid offense Seattle has. It's not just their weapons; their offensive line is actually very, very good.
Yes, and that's their strategy, along with the Texans sucking (which I wouldn't count on; I think Indy is easily worse, and the Texans finally have a solid quarterback). Wouldn't be surprised if Gannon was a one-and-done coach.
I'm leaning towards the former.
Sellers.
Yes, it will. And will the Rams please draft Mizzou cornerbacks Kris Abrams-Drainea and Ennis Rakestraw Jr.? They're going to be absolute studs.
Well, whomever invented liquid soup is a saint.
Pride.
Yes. I'm going to relax and let this season play out as it will. We're one of the youngest teams in the league, if not the youngest. We have fifteen rookies on our squad. This is going to be a learning year.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Only time will tell which it will be.

Being optimistic by nature, I'd say the Rams chose well in this years' draft to give them the flexibility going forward to select the best players at positions of value in future drafts IF several work out.

If the Rams are desperate enough in a few years after a 2024 and 2025 draft and FA period to hold onto players who have underachieved compared to their draft slot or their FA contract, then obviously things haven't gone as planned and some changes will most likely be made.

Isn't that the normal seasonal cycle? Or was that just a rhetorical question?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That’s a solid list of questions and as reading I am like “yep”, “yep”, “yep”… the answers are about to unfold.

Football IS BACK!

Grabbing one of these:

I have been unsure about Cam. The whole situation last year soured me. But… With the season upon us, I think he just might have a monster year. He looks to have been working hard (added bulk) and that speaks highly to where his head is at. I think the dude is going to have a big year.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Yes, I do think so, especially if players like Tyler Johnson, Chatarius Atwell, Ben Skowronek, and Van Jefferson break out and rookies like Puka Nacua show why they're hyped.

Admittedly it is none of my business, but I'm a nosy old bastid and just have to ask.

Why do you refuse to refer to Mr. Atwell by his preferred nickname of TuTu?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
And, we’re back!

So many good questions. This is what I love about a new football season. The answers could still go either way. We know there will be some answers we won't want to hear. I'm simply hoping the positive answers out-weigh the negatives. That and HELL YEAH, I'M READY FOR THIS!!!

oldnotdead

Legend
Jackson, Dotson, Allen, Avila, Havenstein with swings of Noteboom, McClendon, Shelton. Havenstein sprains an ankle and Noteboom steps in at RT and stays there.

Kupp goes on IR returns in November or not at all

The only question about Stafford will be if he can hold up for the entire season. The only other question would be does he retire after he wins another Lombardi this year.

The WR corps are fine with Jefferson, Nacua, Atwell/Skowronek/Robinson

Raheem continues with his ineffective one & two gap combination DL because after all the proof it doesn't work he was still using it in TC. So the Rams will be weak against the run in the middle as usual. Then they shift to support two inside gaps and the perimeter is exposed. VanValkenburg will be a standout rotational player. The secondary will play better under Pleasant. The defense will finish ranked 16th (moving up 3 spots).

Nacua, Tomlinson, Avila, Young and Ethan Evans will be standouts this year.

The Cards will not be the worst team but will probably pick in the top 10 in the next draft and move up to take Maye.

Geno will be good but not good enough. The Seahawks and Cards will fight it out for 3rd place in the NFCW.

Purdy will be good but not good enough.

Donald will retire after the season because Morris is ruining his legacy.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Admittedly it is none of my business, but I'm a nosy old bastid and just have to ask.

Why do you refuse to refer to Mr. Atwell by his preferred nickname of TuTu?

I'm sorry. I just refuse to call him by that nickname. I just refuse.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
And, we’re back!

This is actually the best question.
Jackson-Avila-Allen-Shelton-Havs
(This is my prediction, not necessarily my preference)
He was good down the stretch. We need to see that for a whole season. I don’t see him carrying a load like Gurley, so KW better be able to step up too.
It will for as long as it lasts.

Hammys are tough. They can be a nagging issue all year. Sure hope it doesn’t go that way, but like Momento, I had flashbacks to Ike Bruce and his situation, once upon a time.
I don’t expect to see Kupp on Sunday. 50/50 vs the 9ers
I think so. Nacua seems to be the heir apparent—I’m looking for big things out of him. With Kupp hampered, Nacua will get his shot. Believe it or not, Atwell seems the key to me. Stafford needs to hook up with him downfield every week for this offense to scare anybody. VJ is VJ. This season should be his best. The opportunity is there.
He can try. He’s a mortal who might begin to struggle with fighting two 300lb plus grown ass men at a time—every fucking play. This is my most concerning area on the team—the DL.
They had better. Time will tell. I think Nacua will hit. Avila had BETTER or the Rams are in trouble. Durant could be on track and our rookie TE Allen might be a longshot, but I can see this kid being really good. A mark bavarro type.
Whatever his plans are, the defense’s ability to get stops is gonna be the determining factor in how patient McVay can be with the run game.
Ironically, he might have to be more aggressive in taking away the short stuff. There might have to be a gambling aspect to this defense. Kinda like a basketball team being forced into a full court press when they’re getting beat and the clock becomes their enemy. It might work, it might make things worse.
Based on what I’ve seen, I’ll settle for competent. Evans needs to fine tune his kicks. He has the potential to make a world of difference.
This is the year to find out. I still can’t believe they fell ass backwards into a QB (maybe) after botching the trey lance thing. If purdy doesn’t work out, that window will be shut, especially if they re-sign bosa because they will lack the $$ to go out and sign a vet AND keep the roster intact.
I don’t think so. They look to have a good run game to support him and the best WR duo in the division.
They’re gonna give it their best shot!
Starting 0-2 is rough enough, but within the division? They absolutely have to steal a win early for any realistic chance to be a relevant team this year.
Certainly not buyers. Possibly sellers. Most likely spectators.
Lol! If the Rams didn’t win a game, this forum would continue. It might not be a pleasant read, but it would go on.

It’s very practical. I hate bar soap.
There’s always something to play for.
Rhetorical, I’m assuming.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I remember the days when someone would mention how young the Rams team was and could be pretty good in a year or two. Turned out we had team full of lousy young guys.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I remember the days when someone would mention how young the Rams team was and could be pretty good in a year or two. Turned out we had team full of lousy young guys.
I remember those fugly days. Sad, but true...

~ArkyRamsFan~