FEATURE 20 Random Attrition by Subtraction Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. There are a lot of negatives to unpack after tonight's debacle, but let's be perfectly clear: it ALL starts with the offensive line.

2. After losing Coleman Shelton in the first half, the Rams' interior OL consisted of three guys who ranged from back-ups to a practice squad call-up. They did their best, but let's be perfectly honest here... they had no chance of holding off the 49ers front seven.

3. From there, its a chain reaction. The running game is a non-factor, so that puts it all on the passing game...

4. In the passing game, pressure is coming with no more than 5, and as little as 4 pass rushers...

5. Stafford does what you expect - force feeds Cooper Kupp (and to a lesser extent, Tyler Higbee)...

6. Opposing defense is able to key on Kupp, and even he can't beat a top defense all by himself...

7. The Rams defense eventually makes some mistakes, allowing big plays...

8. Stafford finally makes a big mistake, and that's all she wrote.

9. Understand, that while the OL situation is the ROOT CAUSE, that does not absolve players who did not deliver.

10. Stafford HAS to hit a wide-open Higbee for what would have been a potentially game-changing TD, and he CAN'T throw that pick 6.

11. Cam Akers has to do more. Unless... maybe he can't. There's clearly a difference between getting back on the field after a torn Achilles, and getting all the way back to pre-injury form. Right now, my eyes are seeing a lot more explosion from Darrell Henderson.

12. Way too early prediction: the Rams will draft a RB with their first selection in next year's draft (again).

13. The defense CAN'T allow big plays like it did. The first TD was a gaffe. Allowing Deebo's long TD run was shameful. Letting a blown assignment turn a swing pass to Juszczyk turn into a 35 yard play was humiliating. I agree with those condemning the pass rush (not AD's fault - he pushed the pocket despite double and triple teams). While JimmyG does use the quick pass to avoid the rush, he had too many clean pockets when he had to scan the field. Where has Leonard Floyd gone?

14. While history will remember this as a runaway loss, its amazing how this is a game of inches. Deebo's TD could have been a pick 6 if the pass was a tad lower. The Rams miss out on a momentum changer when a fumbled kickoff return bounces right to a 49er. Of course, the 49ers dropped 2 or 3 interceptions and missed out on a TD by a toe, so....

15. One guy I'm not prepared to condemn is Allen Robinson. Granted, I do sense some budding disgruntlement from him, but he's coming by it honestly. The patterns he was brought here to run just don't work well (or, at least, don't present a better option than just feeding Kupp) when there's little to no time to throw.

16. OBJ is so much more versatile than Robinson. If we're going to make another run this year, we'll need him back.

17. So how do the Rams fix the OL on the fly? Well... hopefully we'll get Brian Allen and David Edwards back in the next two weeks, and... fingers crossed... Shelton's injury is a short-term deal.

18. Beyond that, its a tough situation. Quality OL are not often traded in the middle of a season. We're just going to have to find 5 starters who can stay on the field long enough to gel as a unit. It will need to be fairly quick... the Cowboys have the ability to add to Stafford's disturbing sack total (14 sacks in the two losses alone) next Sunday.

19. There's still a long season ahead of us. At the near-one quarter mark, the NFC West is deadlocked at 2-2. We'll get another shot at the hated 49ers in a few weeks. Still a lot of football to be played.

20. Oh... and I'd still definitely trade one NFCG win for 7 regular season losses.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
As always, you nailed it. My fear is that the Rams get too far behind the sticks in the next few weeks and can't dig themselves out. The injury bug has finally sunk its teeth into us. Champs til we ain't tho!! FUCK THE CHEESE AND WHINERS!!!

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I don’t know but from my perspective Stafford has (and is playing through) a rather serious right shoulder issue

Hope I’m wrong

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don’t know but from my perspective Stafford has (and is playing through) a rather serious right shoulder issue

Hope I’m wrong
I'm not aware of a shoulder issue. If you're referring to his elbow, I disagree. What I'm seeing is much simpler - no pocket, no time, no opportunity to develop rhythm and step into throws on a consistent basis.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I'm not aware of a shoulder issue. If you're referring to his elbow, I disagree. What I'm seeing is much simpler - no pocket, no time, no opportunity to develop rhythm and step into throws on a consistent basis.
There’s definitely all of that

Again, my perspective (elbow, shoulder? all I know is something doesn’t look right on certain throws) I guess we look at things differently

Time will reveal

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
11. Cam Akers has to do more. Unless... maybe he can't. There's clearly a difference between getting back on the field after a torn Achilles, and getting all the way back to pre-injury form. Right now, my eyes are seeing a lot more explosion from Darrell Henderson.

It's time for Cam to take a seat. I don't know if he's done because of the Achilles last year or if it's just in his head, but every single game I see Hendo running more decisively (and as you said, explosively) and having a higher YPC. Hendo is the better back right now, and I'd like to see Malcom get a few carries as well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Cam isn't running with the same intensity. So yeah I think he just might not be the same back after that injury. Something's up. Hendy being the best option is not good. He's not a threat to actually do anything other than get tackled though I do give him credit that he's running hard and doing his best and that is not something I've always thought about him. But Malcolm is what he is too, a slow slasher who can run hard for you in small windows between getting dinged up.

This RB room is depressing. When do we get the rook back. Sure would be nice if he could give us a jump.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
One point I neglected to make - Riley Dixon had an outstanding game. Of course, when the punter is a candidate for a game ball, that's never a good thing.

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
Before the season if I told you we would have an OL of Noteboom, Jackson, Kolume, Evans, and Hav and we would lose in SF that would not be a shock, not with that OL.

So here we are tied atop the NFC West with 13 remaining, the sky aint falling folks. DO we have to fix some things, absolutely, but we needed to fix some things last year as well.

Keep the faith.....

Tano

Legend
Cam isn't running with the same intensity. So yeah I think he just might not be the same back after that injury. Something's up. Hendy being the best option is not good. He's not a threat to actually do anything other than get tackled though I do give him credit that he's running hard and doing his best and that is not something I've always thought about him. But Malcolm is what he is too, a slow slasher who can run hard for you in small windows between getting dinged up.

This RB room is depressing. When do we get the rook back. Sure would be nice if he could give us a jump.
Malcolm is needed to play since he picks up the blitz better than both Henderson and Akers

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Nothing wrong with the RB's. It's a shitty OL.
I definitely think the OL is the primary issue, but there were a few runs in which I really questioned Cam. In particular, he had one pitch-out to the left in which he seemed to have a fairly clear path to the edge and, instead, paused and was blown up by the LB in the backfield. I don't know if that was indecision, or lack of confidence in his speed, but it stood out to me.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
We potentially are fielding a bottom 5 OL and they continue to drop like flies. We generate almost NO pressure on the QB. If Donald isn't getting pressure, we get zero. I haven't seen Floyd make a play so far this season. Same can be said for Gains and Robinson. Our D Line is just a far cry from last year, and I'm not sure the reasoning. We clearly need to make a move for an edge rusher. Would love to be able to trade Tutu for a useful OL also, but that is probably just wishful thinking.

Did anyone anticipate ARob was stepping into a WORSE situation then he had last year? he is on pace to have a worse statistical season then last season, and that was abysmal with Fields at QB.... no idea why McVay can't scheme him some touches..

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
We potentially are fielding a bottom 5 OL and they continue to drop like flies. We generate almost NO pressure on the QB. If Donald isn't getting pressure, we get zero. I haven't seen Floyd make a play so far this season. Same can be said for Gains and Robinson. Our D Line is just a far cry from last year, and I'm not sure the reasoning. We clearly need to make a move for an edge rusher. Would love to be able to trade Tutu for a useful OL also, but that is probably just wishful thinking.

Did anyone anticipate ARob was stepping into a WORSE situation then he had last year? he is on pace to have a worse statistical season then last season, and that was abysmal with Fields at QB.... no idea why McVay can't scheme him some touches..
I kept an eye on A Rob yesterday. He wasn't getting any separation.. Granted the offense isn't scheming him open, give credit to the 9ers D and Dline, but he also needs to help himself out here.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Malcolm is needed to play since he picks up the blitz better than both Henderson and Akers
Yes but we have seen this tired old movie. McVay will integrate him in the next game, he will look good via giving us some angry runs, then he will get hurt and the cycle of the Rams pass catchy backfield will continue.

What we need to break that cycle is a better player in the backfield. Or maybe practice some run blocking and hitting idk. I do suspect that McVay did that late last year. Backups should be capable of executing some run blocks vs backups on the other team's DL.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Yes but we have seen this tired old movie. McVay will integrate him in the next game, he will look good via giving us some angry runs, then he will get hurt and the cycle of the Rams pass catchy backfield will continue.

What we need to break that cycle is a better player in the backfield. Or maybe practice some run blocking and hitting idk. I do suspect that McVay did that late last year. Backups should be capable of executing some run blocks vs backups on the other team's DL.
Kareem Hunt as a potential rental? The Browns certainly could use some draft picks after trading so many away for Watson.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
1. There are a lot of negatives to unpack after tonight's debacle, but let's be perfectly clear: it ALL starts with the offensive line.

2. After losing Coleman Shelton in the first half, the Rams' interior OL consisted of three guys who ranged from back-ups to a practice squad call-up. They did their best, but let's be perfectly honest here... they had no chance of holding off the 49ers front seven.

3. From there, its a chain reaction. The running game is a non-factor, so that puts it all on the passing game...

4. In the passing game, pressure is coming with no more than 5, and as little as 4 pass rushers...

5. Stafford does what you expect - force feeds Cooper Kupp (and to a lesser extent, Tyler Higbee)...

6. Opposing defense is able to key on Kupp, and even he can't beat a top defense all by himself...

7. The Rams defense eventually makes some mistakes, allowing big plays...

8. Stafford finally makes a big mistake, and that's all she wrote.

9. Understand, that while the OL situation is the ROOT CAUSE, that does not absolve players who did not deliver.

10. Stafford HAS to hit a wide-open Higbee for what would have been a potentially game-changing TD, and he CAN'T throw that pick 6.

12. Way too early prediction: the Rams will draft a RB with their first selection in next year's draft (again).

13. The defense CAN'T allow big plays like it did. The first TD was a gaffe. Allowing Deebo's long TD run was shameful. Letting a blown assignment turn a swing pass to Juszczyk turn into a 35 yard play was humiliating. I agree with those condemning the pass rush (not AD's fault - he pushed the pocket despite double and triple teams). While JimmyG does use the quick pass to avoid the rush, he had too many clean pockets when he had to scan the field. Where has Leonard Floyd gone?

14. While history will remember this as a runaway loss, its amazing how this is a game of inches. Deebo's TD could have been a pick 6 if the pass was a tad lower. The Rams miss out on a momentum changer when a fumbled kickoff return bounces right to a 49er. Of course, the 49ers dropped 2 or 3 interceptions and missed out on a TD by a toe, so....

15. One guy I'm not prepared to condemn is Allen Robinson. Granted, I do sense some budding disgruntlement from him, but he's coming by it honestly. The patterns he was brought here to run just don't work well (or, at least, don't present a better option than just feeding Kupp) when there's little to no time to throw.

16. OBJ is so much more versatile than Robinson. If we're going to make another run this year, we'll need him back.

17. So how do the Rams fix the OL on the fly? Well... hopefully we'll get Brian Allen and David Edwards back in the next two weeks, and... fingers crossed... Shelton's injury is a short-term deal.

18. Beyond that, its a tough situation. Quality OL are not often traded in the middle of a season. We're just going to have to find 5 starters who can stay on the field long enough to gel as a unit. It will need to be fairly quick... the Cowboys have the ability to add to Stafford's disturbing sack total (14 sacks in the two losses alone) next Sunday.

19. There's still a long season ahead of us. At the near-one quarter mark, the NFC West is deadlocked at 2-2. We'll get another shot at the hated 49ers in a few weeks. Still a lot of football to be played.

20. Oh... and I'd still definitely trade one NFCG win for 7 regular season losses.
It all starts with the Rams consistently lacking the physicality to compete with the 9ers on both sides of the ball.

Healthy Oline, injured Oline.. the Rams get worked, with the exception of one game in the last 4 years.

There’s also a mental toughness component that is missing when the Rams play the 9ers.

Lastly.. Stafford turns the ball over. It’s part of his dna as a QB.

He also just missed some throws last night that he needs to hit.

Blaming the Oline is too reductive for me, and I do appreciate the argument you made about its cascading impacts.

I just don’t believe that’s the biggest reason for the loss.

Remember.. the 9ers Oline had injuries too.. including the best offensive tackle in the game. The Rams couldn’t take advantage. Not enough pass rush strength in that front 4.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Sometimes there is this thought that creeps into my head. After all that intensity and focus it took to win a championship, they reached the pinnacle. They earned it. They were able to exhale. Some guys got paid. A lot. Losing the same desire and hunger would not be out of the question.

Sure, they're professionals with pride. They still have the desire to win again. Hunger is there. But is it on the same level as last season? Is it something that consumes them? Always at the forefront? Sometimes it sure doesn't look like it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kareem Hunt as a potential rental? The Browns certainly could use some draft picks after trading so many away for Watson.
Yes. I have to think the Rams already made that call though. It's an obvious one and they have to be aware of the problem in front of them.

This is a situation where I think the players let them down. Players being certain guys in the offensive backfield. Though I admit it is still early and Cam for example may still get his form back. Just looks depressing right now and this RB problem goes back over a lot of games with the same players, the same performers and portrayers.

Maybe they had high hopes for their draft pick too for that matter. What a letdown that injury to him was. But again I feel like physicality is missing, has always been missing for McVay, and that Hunt adds that so yes a thousand times yes make that move.

Flint

Pro Bowler
It all starts with the Rams consistently lacking the physicality to compete with the 9ers on both sides of the ball.

Healthy Oline, injured Oline.. the Rams get worked, with the exception of one game in the last 4 years.

There’s also a mental toughness component that is missing when the Rams play the 9ers.

Lastly.. Stafford turns the ball over. It’s part of his dna as a QB.

He also just missed some throws last night that he needs to hit.

Blaming the Oline is too reductive for me, and I do appreciate the argument you made about its cascading impacts.

I just don’t believe that’s the biggest reason for the loss.

Remember.. the 9ers Oline had injuries too.. including the best offensive tackle in the game. The Rams couldn’t take advantage. Not enough pass rush strength in that front 4.
Despite the issues they had, the rams stayed within 1 score of the niners til the last td in the 4th. The 9ers were happy to have Garapalo throw screens, swing passes and dump offs since Deebo was the best rb in the game and it also kept Jimmy G from holding the ball.
Stafford didn’t have time todo much so in turned into where’s Cooper? Which eventually sealed the game for them. Hopefully Vanjeff’s return can loosen things up and may the rookie can jump start the run game.