2 Forward Passes?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

there was one play during the game where the ball was snapped to cribbs. he pitched it forward to a mccoy who then threw it back to wallace who then threw the pass downfield to mccoy.

i thought there could only be one forward pass during a play. that's the first time ever i've seen two forward passes in a play.

what's the deal?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm thinking as long as you are behind the line of scrimmage, you can do that. I seem to recall some years back when a QB had a pass batted back to him and he threw it again for a completion down field. If I wasn't getting so old, I might could remember who that was but it's gone. :nono:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Upon further review, I stand corrected. You can only have one forward pass per play.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I went back and looked at the play. The snap was at 9:47 left in the 2nd qtr. Cribbs is at the 44 and the ball ends up at the 43 where Wallace gets it and pitches back to McCoy. They got away with one there. It was two forward passes. Can you throw the red flag on that one?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Ramhusker said:
I went back and looked at the play. The snap was at 9:47 left in the 2nd qtr. Cribbs is at the 44 and the ball ends up at the 43 where Wallace gets it and pitches back to McCoy. They got away with one there. It was two forward passes. Can you throw the red flag on that one?

Wouldnt that have been two backwards passes? I thought they were on their side of the field when they ran that play?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
bluecoconuts said:
Ramhusker said:

Wouldnt that have been two backwards passes? I thought they were on their side of the field when they ran that play?

They were in Rams territory. Wallace ended up catching the McCoy pass inside the 10 yard line.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

it's wierd that there has been no mention of it. not by the commentators, missed by the officials, not by the highlight analysts, nothing. strange.

hd.

UDFA
Interesting....I wonder if we can get it sent to mike pereira.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I broke down the play here to see easier.

5mcm6r.jpg

The ball is at the Rams 39. The Browns line up in the Wild Cat with Cribbs (44) ready for the snap. Wallace lines up to the right of Cribbs at the 42, and begins moving towards Cribbs right before the ball is snapped. McCoy (42) lines up to the left of Cribbs and takes a step foward before moving back towards Wallace and Cribbs.

xbwvfp.jpg

Cribbs takes the snap at the 44 and tosses the ball to Wallace (highlighted), who is still at the 43. The Ball technically goes forward, and not backwards or sideways on the exchange. McCoy begins moving towards the Ball.

5fmf80.jpg

Wallace (43) tosses the ball to McCoy (46) who then scrambles towards the middle of the field into the pocket while Wallace starts to turn up field.

muxyfk.jpg

McCoy (46) then passes to Wallace who is running (out of frame) down the sideline. As far as I know, this is technically the second forward pass on the play... (I made a mistake when first editing the picture and said McCoy was at the 51 instead of 46, that's what the edit is)

24ymkgl.jpg

Wallace (23) catches the pass from McCoy and is tackled.

As for the rules book from the NFL:
Rule 8 Forward Pass, Backward Pass, Fumble
Section 1 Forward Pass
DEFINITION
Article 1 Definition It is a forward pass if:
(a) the ball initially moves forward (to a point nearer the opponent’s goal line) after leaving the passer’s
hand(s)
; or
(b) the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else at a point that is nearer the
opponent’s goal line than the point at which the ball leaves the passer’s hand(s).
Note: A ball that is intentionally fumbled and goes forward is a forward pass. A ball that is intentionally muffed, and goes forward or backward, is a batted ball (12-1-8). The direction taken by a fumbled or muffed ball does not affect the application of the rules specific to such acts, unless it is ruled that they are intentional. When a player is in control of the ball and attempting to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass.
(a) If the passer is attempting to throw a forward pass, but contact by an opponent materially affects him,
causing the ball to go backward, it is a forward pass, regardless of where the ball strikes the ground, a
player, an official, or anything else.
(b) If, after an intentional forward movement of his hand, the passer loses possession of the ball as he is
attempting to tuck it back toward his body, it is a forward pass. If the player loses possession after he
has tucked the ball into his body, it is a fumble.
(c) If the passer loses possession of the ball while attempting to recock his arm, it is a fumble.

LEGAL FORWARD PASS
Article 2 Legal Forward Pass. The offensive team may make one forward pass from behind the line during
each down
. If the ball, whether in player possession or loose, crosses the line of scrimmage, a forward
pass is not permissible, regardless of whether the ball returns behind the line of scrimmage before the
pass is thrown.

Item 1: Illegal Passes. Any other forward pass by either team is illegal and is a foul by the passing team,
including:
(a) A forward pass thrown when the passer is beyond the line of scrimmage.
Note: It is a forward pass from beyond the line of scrimmage if the passer’s entire body and the ball are beyond the line of scrimmage when the ball is released, whether the passer is airborne or touching the ground. The penalty for a forward pass thrown from beyond the line is enforced from the spot where the ball is released.
(b) A second forward pass thrown from behind the line of scrimmage.
(c) A forward pass thrown after the ball has crossed the line of scrimmage and has returned behind it.
(d) A forward pass thrown after there has been a change of possession

<a class="postlink" href="http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/11_Rule8_ForwardPass_BackPass_Fumble.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://static.nfl.com/static/content/pu ... Fumble.pdf</a>

Now someone (maybe a Dr...) can add input to if the exchange between Cribbs and Wallace does indeed count as a forward pass, but from my angle, it seems like this play should have been a 5 yard penalty on the Browns, not a completion...

Really not a big deal now since we won, but it's interesting.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Wow, man. REALLY nice breakdown there.

And aesthetically pleasing too. :p

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
I broke down the play here to see easier.

5mcm6r.jpg

The ball is at the Rams 39. The Browns line up in the Wild Cat with Cribbs (44) ready for the snap. Wallace lines up to the right of Cribbs at the 42, and begins moving towards Cribbs right before the ball is snapped. McCoy (42) lines up to the left of Cribbs and takes a step foward before moving back towards Wallace and Cribbs.

xbwvfp.jpg

Cribbs takes the snap at the 44 and tosses the ball to Wallace (highlighted), who is still at the 43. The Ball technically goes forward, and not backwards or sideways on the exchange. McCoy begins moving towards the Ball.

5fmf80.jpg

Wallace (43) tosses the ball to McCoy (46) who then scrambles towards the middle of the field into the pocket while Wallace starts to turn up field.

muxyfk.jpg

McCoy (46) then passes to Wallace who is running (out of frame) down the sideline. As far as I know, this is technically the second forward pass on the play... (I made a mistake when first editing the picture and said McCoy was at the 51 instead of 46, that's what the edit is)

24ymkgl.jpg

Wallace (23) catches the pass from McCoy and is tackled.

As for the rules book from the NFL:
Rule 8 Forward Pass, Backward Pass, Fumble
Section 1 Forward Pass
DEFINITION
Article 1 Definition It is a forward pass if:
(a) the ball initially moves forward (to a point nearer the opponent’s goal line) after leaving the passer’s
hand(s)
; or
(b) the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else at a point that is nearer the
opponent’s goal line than the point at which the ball leaves the passer’s hand(s).
Note: A ball that is intentionally fumbled and goes forward is a forward pass. A ball that is intentionally muffed, and goes forward or backward, is a batted ball (12-1-8). The direction taken by a fumbled or muffed ball does not affect the application of the rules specific to such acts, unless it is ruled that they are intentional. When a player is in control of the ball and attempting to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass.
(a) If the passer is attempting to throw a forward pass, but contact by an opponent materially affects him,
causing the ball to go backward, it is a forward pass, regardless of where the ball strikes the ground, a
player, an official, or anything else.
(b) If, after an intentional forward movement of his hand, the passer loses possession of the ball as he is
attempting to tuck it back toward his body, it is a forward pass. If the player loses possession after he
has tucked the ball into his body, it is a fumble.
(c) If the passer loses possession of the ball while attempting to recock his arm, it is a fumble.

LEGAL FORWARD PASS
Article 2 Legal Forward Pass. The offensive team may make one forward pass from behind the line during
each down
. If the ball, whether in player possession or loose, crosses the line of scrimmage, a forward
pass is not permissible, regardless of whether the ball returns behind the line of scrimmage before the
pass is thrown.

Item 1: Illegal Passes. Any other forward pass by either team is illegal and is a foul by the passing team,
including:
(a) A forward pass thrown when the passer is beyond the line of scrimmage.
Note: It is a forward pass from beyond the line of scrimmage if the passer’s entire body and the ball are beyond the line of scrimmage when the ball is released, whether the passer is airborne or touching the ground. The penalty for a forward pass thrown from beyond the line is enforced from the spot where the ball is released.
(b) A second forward pass thrown from behind the line of scrimmage.
(c) A forward pass thrown after the ball has crossed the line of scrimmage and has returned behind it.
(d) A forward pass thrown after there has been a change of possession

<a class="postlink" href="http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/11_Rule8_ForwardPass_BackPass_Fumble.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://static.nfl.com/static/content/pu ... Fumble.pdf</a>

Now someone (maybe a Dr...) can add input to if the exchange between Cribbs and Wallace does indeed count as a forward pass, but from my angle, it seems like this play should have been a 5 yard penalty on the Browns, not a completion...

Really not a big deal now since we won, but it's interesting.
It was 2 forward passes and illegal from my understanding. If it would have been a handoff (Cribbs to Wallace) it would have been OK, but it was not, it was a shovel pass, which is still a forward pass. Great job blue.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Well I'm not a football expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

But seriously, I wonder why the coaches didn't pick up on that during the game and challenge it, could have changed the tempo of the game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
Well I'm not a football expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

But seriously, I wonder why the coaches didn't pick up on that during the game and challenge it, could have changed the tempo of the game.
Sho nuff did. Set up one of their field goals, didn't it?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:

nobody picked it up. when watching live i was waiting for the yellow flag to be thrown but nothing.

maybe the game had put everyone to sleep by that stage.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

Sho nuff did. Set up one of their field goals, didn't it?

Yep. It it was first and 15 instead, I think they would have been a little deflated, and our defense probably could have forced a punt. Who knows though, as long as we got the win that's what really matters in my eyes.