"2% Chance for ACL retear for pro athletes"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

Either this is wrong or the Rams are incredibly unlucky to have two players on the same team retear their knee (ironically their fates were tied to each other).

An exerpt from:
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article19553817.html

Gurley might even be ready for the start of the season, although the Dolphins wouldn’t necessarily need him that soon. They still have Lamar Miller, who ran for almost 1,100 yards a season ago.

The typical recovery time for such an injury is nine months to a year.

And the odds of tearing a reconstructed ACL are just 2 percent, said orthopedic surgeon Harlan Selesnick, the Miami Heat’s team physician.

But just as important is the extent of damage to the surrounding cartilage. Selesnick wouldn’t speculate on the nature of Gurley’s injury, but rather spoke about ACL tears in general. And in his history, players who rush back too quickly are more likely to suffer setbacks.

“If the overall condition of his knee is good and his ligament is good, that speaks well for his prognosis in the league,” Selesnick said. “Teams would be more likely to take a chance on a player like that than someone else who hasn’t ever recovered as well.”

Added Selesnick: “The success rate in terms of stability is really quite good. You don’t see a lot of guys having a repeat ACL surgery. … You can usually feel comfortable taking one of those players.”

And besides, the Dolphins’ luck at the position couldn’t possibly get worse.

Moostache

Rookie
I think they meant to say "2% chance of re-tearing, unless you play for the St. Louis Rams, where the chances balloon to 100%".

Looks like pretty rock solid evidence that the Rams should not even consider Gurley at all! :D

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Either this is wrong or the Rams are incredibly unlucky to have two players on the same team retear their knee (ironically their fates were tied to each other).

An exerpt from:
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article19553817.html
I truly believe that if it wasn't a preseason game, which let the defender use Bradford to slow up instead of hitting him, he wouldn't of gotten injured in that game. Whether he would have survived behind our abysmal OL for the rest of the season, is another topic for debate.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they were rushed back. I'd guess the 2% figure is after it fully heals - not just the ACL itself but all the supporting tendons, muscles, etc all be 100%. Which I'd guess is longer than 9-12 months.

But I'm neither a doctor, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Should of gotten the live chicken

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I truly believe that if it wasn't a preseason game, which let the defender use Bradford to slow up instead of hitting him, he wouldn't of gotten injured in that game. Whether he would have survived behind our abysmal OL for the rest of the season, is another topic for debate.

If not for Jake Long trying to block for the first time, without being ready to do so, we might have had Bradford for the whole season.

Demand n 1

" Let the cool water take me under"
Name
doc
"The typical recovery time for such an injury is nine months to a year.

And the odds of tearing a reconstructed ACL are just 2 percent, said orthopedic surgeon Harlan Selesnick, the Miami Heat’s team physician"

I think the good doctor may be a little skewed in his logic. Does 2% represent just Basketball(Heat) players or football players or all men and women?

Football is not a contact sport. It is a violent collision sport played by really athletic big men. A. Peterson is a phenomenon and doesn't represent the norm.

Athletes Risk Second ACL Injury After ACL Reconstruction
Opposite knee at high risk for injury, especially among females
Mary Ann Porucznik
The incidence of a second injury to the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) within the first 12 months after ACL reconstruction and return to sport in a young, active population has been reported to be 15 times greater than a previously uninjured cohort. Mark V. Paterno, PhD, PT, SCS, ATC, and colleagues wanted to know whether that higher risk continued beyond the first year.
Their research, presented at the 2013 annual meeting of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, shows that the overall rate of another injury within 2 years to the ACL—on the same or the opposite knee—is six times greater among athletes who undergo ACL reconstruction surgery and return to sport than among those who have never had an ACL tear.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie

And the odds of tearing a reconstructed ACL are just 2 percent, said orthopedic surgeon Harlan Selesnick, the Miami Heat’s team physician"

I think the good doctor may be a little skewed in his logic. Does 2% represent just Basketball(Heat) players or football players or all men and women?

Football is not a contact sport. It is a violent collision sport played by really athletic big men. A. Peterson is a phenomenon and doesn't represent the norm.

Mary Ann Porucznik
The incidence of a second injury to the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) within the first 12 months after ACL reconstruction and return to sport in a young, active population has been reported to be 15 times greater than a previously uninjured cohort. Mark V. Paterno, PhD, PT, SCS, ATC, and colleagues wanted to know whether that higher risk continued beyond the first year.
Their research, presented at the 2013 annual meeting of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, shows that the overall rate of another injury within 2 years to the ACL—on the same or the opposite knee—is six times greater among athletes who undergo ACL reconstruction surgery and return to sport than among those who have never had an ACL tear.

I think this sounds more realistic.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I saw something similar, plus my medical background has a lot of info on re-injury of prior operation spots...@Alan basically bent me over (JK :whistle:o_O:ROFLMAO:;)) and made me agree that the chance of re-injury was greater after it had already occurred once...Although I still believe elite athletes are far different than the public at large. They used skiers as there sample...who knows...I say the graph from your own tendon is less likely to re-tear, but the natural frame of the actual player, his history, training, and of course length of recovery time plays a role. We'll never know...Sam's gone, and it would have been fun to track this last comeback...Jake Long had me scared with the 4 day MRI...Radiation probably loosened his ACL

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I saw something similar, plus my medical background has a lot of info on re-injury of prior operation spots...@Alan basically bent me over (JK :whistle:o_O:ROFLMAO:;)) and made me agree that the chance of re-injury was greater after it had already occurred once...Although I still believe elite athletes are far different than the public at large. They used skiers as there sample...who knows...I say the graph from your own tendon is less likely to re-tear, but the natural frame of the actual player, his history, training, and of course length of recovery time plays a role. We'll never know...Sam's gone, and it would have been fun to track this last comeback...Jake Long had me scared with the 4 day MRI...Radiation probably loosened his ACL

Fun? Fun to track the comeback? I wouldn't call it fun. More like agony.

iced

Mary Ann Porucznik

knew it sounded like Hogwash.. can't believe this guy is a team doctor

Explains a lot about Miami and Jake's health

V3

Hall of Fame
I said it before it happened and right after it happened, I thought they brought both of them back WAY too soon. People kept telling me that they had the best doctors so they knew what they're doing but I just didn't believe it. I think they got greedy and rushed it. Maybe it was just bad luck but it was still stupid to even chance it when you knew if it didn't work, the season was over.

Demand n 1

" Let the cool water take me under"
Name
doc
...Jake Long had me scared with the 4 day MRI...Radiation probably loosened his ACL

I understand your concern but it may be unfounded. MRI, Magnetic Resonance Imaging uses a magnetic field with radio waves.
Jake's ACL and Sam's could not hold up with so little time to heal IMHO.

MRI does not use ionizing radiation (high-energy radiation that can potentially cause damage to DNA, like the x-rays used CT scans). There are no known harmful side-effects associated with temporary exposure to the strong magnetic field used by MRI scanners.Jun 4, 2014

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Don't know about you guys, but personally I think 2% is a bollox figure - that there is a$$ talk

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I understand your concern but it may be unfounded. MRI, Magnetic Resonance Imaging uses a magnetic field with radio waves.
Jake's ACL and Sam's could not hold up with so little time to heal IMHO.

MRI does not use ionizing radiation (high-energy radiation that can potentially cause damage to DNA, like the x-rays used CT scans). There are no known harmful side-effects associated with temporary exposure to the strong magnetic field used by MRI scanners.Jun 4, 2014
I feel ya, this was partly a joke...They SAY the radiation isn't the strong kind, then when they turn the machine on, they're standing behind a door in another room...Exposure is a funny thing..it matters about distance & length of exposure...so while I hear what they say about the MRI, I know if they're wrong they'll be offering some class action settlement to my kids when I'm dead and gone...for about $1,000...sorry
It did seem Sam should have returned a whole year later, the week he was injured...Like week 7 or 8 (2014)...And Long was injured later, like week 14-16, so he should've missed the entire season. Why would trainers rush them out there so soon? Sorta like how the Lakers wanted to play the young guys, was it a form of strategic tanking? IDK... We weren't ready to compete last year, I think we are more ready now. It'll be interesting to see the offense. I'd be lying if I said I believe in Foles...I'm in LA, but still love the "Show Me" motto....

fearsomefour

Legend
I said it before it happened and right after it happened, I thought they brought both of them back WAY too soon. People kept telling me that they had the best doctors so they knew what they're doing but I just didn't believe it. I think they got greedy and rushed it. Maybe it was just bad luck but it was still stupid to even chance it when you knew if it didn't work, the season was over.
This is what I am wondering....is something keeps happening I would begin to question the rehab process the team is implementing.

iced

I agree with this - and i think it's telling that Sam didn't even feel that much pain initially either