Zach Evans twitter thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought he looked pretty good. Ran straight, ran hard...wasn't trying to do too much.

Yeah, if he's doing this kinda of work, I'd like to see him get some snaps with the 1st team oline to see what he could do. The thread shows some work for him to do on technique (mostly pressing the line more) but consistently shows him making good decisions with very mediocre blocking.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I remember that first run. I thought he did good not to take a loss with someone already in the backfield. He didn't gain much but it does show the vision. Our linemen did a poor job trying to keep those guys from penetrating and blowing up the play.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Each play he was in seemed to be an additional nail in the coffin of Royce Freeman's short ram career

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Each play he was in seemed to be an additional nail in the coffin of Royce Freeman's short ram career
I'm liking what I see from Evans but still could come down to ST play though, no? Freeman got more snaps on ST, I think, in the game.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I remember that first run. I thought he did good not to take a loss with someone already in the backfield. He didn't gain much but it does show the vision. Our linemen did a poor job trying to keep those guys from penetrating and blowing up the play.
These are what Marshall Faulk refers to as, “hidden yards.”—when a back avoids a big loss and fights his way back to the LOS.

I too, liked what I saw in Evans as a runner. Pass protection is something any/all rookie backs need to learn in a McVay offense.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
These are what Marshall Faulk refers to as, “hidden yards.”—when a back avoids a big loss and fights his way back to the LOS.

I too, liked what I saw in Evans as a runner. Pass protection is something any/all rookie backs need to learn in a McVay offense.

remember the first game in 2016 against the whiners? i reckon todd gurley had at least 100 hidden yards that day.

i still think it was his best game for the rams, even though he made minimal yards. he made tough yards every time he touched the ball.

NCRamGuy

Rookie
Name
ManmadeRam
The great Marshal Faulk called those "hidden yards". It shows only maybe a 1 yd gain but it was easily a 5 yards run

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I liked him in real time and like it more after this guys review. Thank you for this!

oldnotdead

Legend
Anchrum sucked on that play. He's supposed to double the DT then move to the second level. He simply brushes by the DT with almost a swim move leaving McAllister hung out to dry without time to make the block. That is exactly the BS he pulled last year and why I don't like his play he doesn't play smart. It doesn't occur to him that a second level block isn't needed if the DT makes the tackle in the backfield. His job is to stand the DT up and hand him off to McAllister THEN move to the second level. He's a 4th year player and doesn't know that? He seems to lack an understanding of his role in plays.

Other times last year he was simply over powered. This is why I said from the beginning he's nothing but a placeholder after 4 years. From what I saw of McClendon he'd looked to be a good RG. But Warren looks like a serviceable swing for a year while he learns the position. McClendon and Thomas make Bruss and Anchrum expendable this year. Thomas obviously can play as a swing OT/OG providing good depth. McClendon can provide depth at OT as well. McAllister and Maginn can provide backup at C/OG.

IMO the most significant thing to come out of the Charger game was that the Rams look to have good depth on the OL with Thomas, McClendon and McAllister who look to be their gameday reserves.

LT Jackson
LG Avila
C Allen
RG Noteboom
RT Havenstein

Gameday swings: OT/OG Thomas, C/OG Shelton, OT McClendon
Gameday inactive C/OG McAllister

That's going to be a pretty decent OL with solid depth.

In 2024 I see Shelton as being extended as the starting C, and Noteboom moving to RT with McClendon at RG. That's a pretty beefy OL. McAllister moves to primary swing C/OG and Thomas remains primary OT/OG. The OL is going to become a strength of this team starting this year.

Tano

Legend
Anchrum sucked on that play. He's supposed to double the DT then move to the second level. He simply brushes by the DT with almost a swim move leaving McAllister hung out to dry without time to make the block. That is exactly the BS he pulled last year and why I don't like his play he doesn't play smart. It doesn't occur to him that a second level block isn't needed if the DT makes the tackle in the backfield. His job is to stand the DT up and hand him off to McAllister THEN move to the second level. He's a 4th year player and doesn't know that? He seems to lack an understanding of his role in plays.

Other times last year he was simply over powered. This is why I said from the beginning he's nothing but a placeholder after 4 years. From what I saw of McClendon he'd looked to be a good RG. But Warren looks like a serviceable swing for a year while he learns the position. McClendon and Thomas make Bruss and Anchrum expendable this year. Thomas obviously can play as a swing OT/OG providing good depth. McClendon can provide depth at OT as well. McAllister and Maginn can provide backup at C/OG.

IMO the most significant thing to come out of the Charger game was that the Rams look to have good depth on the OL with Thomas, McClendon and McAllister who look to be their gameday reserves.

LT Jackson
LG Avila
C Allen
RG Noteboom
RT Havenstein

Gameday swings: OT/OG Thomas, C/OG Shelton, OT McClendon
Gameday inactive C/OG McAllister

That's going to be a pretty decent OL with solid depth.

In 2024 I see Shelton as being extended as the starting C, and Noteboom moving to RT with McClendon at RG. That's a pretty beefy OL. McAllister moves to primary swing C/OG and Thomas remains primary OT/OG. The OL is going to become a strength of this team starting this year.
I just hope Noteboom does better as a RG than as a LG

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Noteboom and Allen both starting on the OL? Gonna be interesting. Although I do believe that this lineup is still to be determined. And this is probably a bit early for this but next year's high draft picks should include another big O-lineman and another big D-lineman. Not sure Aaron Donald is gonna get a lot of help this year.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
That is exactly the BS he pulled last year and why I don't like his play he doesn't play smart. It doesn't occur to him that a second level block isn't needed if the DT makes the tackle in the backfield. His job is to stand the DT up and hand him off to McAllister THEN move to the second level. He's a 4th year player and doesn't know that? He seems to lack an understanding of his role in plays.

Other times last year he was simply over powered. This is why I said from the beginning he's nothing but a placeholder after 4 years.
When exactly did Anchrum do all this? He got hurt on the 1st series in game 1. You sure like to make up stuff to fit your agenda.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
Not sure if Evans is ready for pass protection. Freeman is much better in that area. McVay isn’t too keen on playing rookies. Especially those that can’t block and protect the QB.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure if Evans is ready for pass protection. Freeman is much better in that area. McVay isn’t too keen on playing rookies. Especially those that can’t block and protect the QB.
He plays rookies all the time, Akers, Henderson etc. Would have played Kyren if he didnt get hurt
Just dont know if he keeps 4 RB's. Royce Freeman types are available on the waiver wire

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
He plays rookies all the time, Akers, Henderson etc. Would have played Kyren if he didnt get hurt
Just dont know if he keeps 4 RB's. Royce Freeman types are available on the waiver wire
Do you like Rivers better than both Freeman & Evans? I feel like they both have more potential or "upside" but I admit I haven't seen a lot of Rivers .