Your Top 5 at #19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Not disagreeing with your opinion about the player. Having not seen him play, I have no opinion.
I did look for some OR St. vs. OR film but only found highlights; and did not find them telling either way.

Just commenting about the dozen or more Draft profile, evaluations and reports I have read.
Even went back to re-read a few. They are not negative about Fuaga's pass pro skills.

Doesn't mean your assessment is wrong. That's why I wrote that your comments were "interesting to me".

Fuaga plays right tackle on those sets. #75. Burch is #1; Dorlus #3. Let's just say I have very real concerns about Fuaga holding up at left tackle.

muggmeister

Rookie
Wait, some people are considering Fuaga?

He’s one of the best run-blockers to come out in years…but he’s a complete mess as a pass-protector. Jordan Burch (Oregon, 2025 class) whipped his ass. Not an edge, but a raw 3-4 DE.

His footwork is unfixable; he can’t really shuffle, he bends at the waist, and his pass-protection technique is shit because he thinks of himself only as a run-blocker, gets caught leaning forward all the time. It’s bad, and if he wasn’t the best run blocker I’ve seen in years, I wouldn’t even give him a second round grade.

He’s a right guard only at the next level; if he played right tackle for us, @oldnotdead would have his brain explode in rage - and I wouldn’t be far behind him.

Fuaga, Latham, Mims, Guyton, all of them are on my do-not-draft list.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not saying Fuaga's a bad player or prospect, but I wouldn't take him in the first round with his pass-sets being the way they are, and I certainly wouldn't try him out at left tackle. There's absolutely no way Stafford would make it through a game if you had Fuaga as his blind side protector.
Your over the top hyperbole to argue with people who have a pretty good record makes me just ignore the rest of your post. Especially after you literally say he is bad then double down by saying he's so bad Stafford will get murdered in the pocket.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Fuaga plays right tackle on those sets. #75. Burch is #1; Dorlus #3. Let's just say I have very real concerns about Fuaga holding up at left tackle.

Thanks for posting. I only watched it one time but my initial thought is that Fuaga looked OK.

Burch and Dorlus had big games but most of their pressures were not going up against Fuaga.

He was far from dominant but I did not think he gave up much in pass protection until the final six minutes when Oregon State was down by twenty-four, and was passing on most every play.

I'm going to take another look but that was nice of you to post.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Your over the top hyperbole to argue with people who have a pretty good record makes me just ignore the rest of your post. Especially after you literally say he is bad then double down by saying he's so bad Stafford will get murdered in the pocket.

You must've ignored the important parts then. I never said Fuaga was a bad player. I said his pass-protection is bad. His run-blocking, I specifically said, was the best I've seen out of any offensive lineman in years. You'd have to go back to Scherff to find someone better.

It's his run-blocking that is going to get him drafted, and he is a guard. Not a tackle.

That's what I said. I said his pass-protection is shit, and that he'd be a damn good guard as a run-blocker and with less stress on pass-protection. But as a left tackle? Hell yes, he'd get Stafford killed.

Please do not put words in my mouth and please look at my posting history; I do NOT say these things lightly. I respect you, OS, so please have the courtesy to respect my point of view, okay?

Memento

Name
Jemma
Thanks for posting. I only watched it one time but my initial thought is that Fuaga looked OK.

Burch and Dorlus had big games but most of their pressures were not going up against Fuaga.

He was far from dominant but I did not think he gave up much in pass protection until the final six minutes when Oregon State was down by twenty-four, and was passing on most every play.

I'm going to take another look but that was nice of you to post.

Look at his footwork, mostly. It's very much sloppy, his shuffle too slow for a speed rush. He leans forward on a lot of passing plays, doesn't anchor on bullrushes because he's wanting to go forward, doesn't have the length to keep the longer-armed Burch at bay.

That's what concerned me. His run-blocking really is fantastic. I just think he'd be an excellent guard, not a left tackle.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Look at his footwork, mostly. It's very much sloppy, his shuffle too slow for a speed rush. He leans forward on a lot of passing plays, doesn't anchor on bullrushes because he's wanting to go forward, ...

I will do that next time I watch the tape.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Much appreciated, and much love.
1713060316730.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Merlin, I don’t disagree with you much…except with the bolded two.

Fautanu has the footwork, technique, and length necessary to succeed at left tackle, even though he’s 6’4”. Reminds me of Bahktiari a bit.

Conversely, I think Fuaga’s only chance is at guard; he’ll get eaten alive on passing downs at right tackle, let alone on the blind side. I just don’t see it. Jordan Burch gave him more than he could handle, and Burch was a raw SC transfer who had done little up to that point. That was at right tackle. Big and nasty run blocker, but awful at the other stuff.
The reason I think Fautanu will play inside in the NFL is because I think he will be dominant there. As opposed to probably ending up middle of the pack at best at LT.

Fuaga I don't mind the disagreement. Cheers matey.

Memento

Name
Jemma
The reason I think Fautanu will play inside in the NFL is because I think he will be dominant there. As opposed to probably ending up middle of the pack at best at LT.

Fuaga I don't mind the disagreement. Cheers matey.

Fautanu could definitely be a dominant guard. I think Fuaga could be a dominant guard as well, so I don't mind the disagreement.

Much love.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Put me in the camp of guys who think Edge Coop is going to be a complete baller in the NFL.

Well his attitude is CRAP !! Mcvay will read through that & determine if he wants a BIG TURD
in the Locker room.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree. The kid is a great athlete that held up well at LT in an offense with loads of downfield throws.

And interestingly enough he has longer arms than Alt, Fashanu, and Fauga who had the shortest at 33 1/8".
I keep seeing Fautanu projected to guard as well as Fuaga.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Well his attitude is CRAP !! Mcvay will read through that & determine if he wants a BIG TURD
in the Locker room.

That's the first time I've heard that. How does Edgerrin Cooper have a bad attitude?

Memphis Ram

Legend
I keep seeing Fautanu projected to guard as well as Fuaga.
As far as Fautanu have you seen anyone on those same sites project anyone under 6'4" as an OT.

For example, Brugler has him listed as his #1 guard.

At the same time he had no one with a draftable grade listed under 6'4" as an OT in the 2023 & 2024 Beast Guides.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
There are more then a few scouting reports that say the same thing below. Some say different, and that is fine.

I don't claim to watch much college tape besides the highlights of prospects going in the first few rounds.

But here are some examples of reports on Fuaga as a RT prospect. Zero sacks in two years.

Beefy right tackle capable of playing at a high level despite his lack of ideal pad level and lower-body bend. Fuaga plays with a fairly aggressive disposition. He’s a one-pop blocker who struggles to clinch into his run blocks and is therefore forced to work overtime to sustain and finish. The pass protection technique is outstanding, and he possesses the athleticism to mirror and match edge-to-edge rush movements. Fuaga’s hand work is exceptional in pass pro and will need to remain so, because of his lack of desired range for recovering when beaten. A team could slide him to guard to improve its interior protection, but he’s best-suited at right tackle, where he should become a good starter.

I also like this report:

In pass protection, Fuaga exhibits foundational skills – balance, hand technique, and lateral movement – essential for a tackle at the professional level.

Year-on-year advancements in his play signal not just a player with the necessary physical tools, but one with the dedication and football IQ to harness his potential. His zero-sacks allowed record in recent seasons speaks to his reliability as a protector on the line. Fuaga's has potentially high-ceiling talent in the NFL.

I could be wrong on Fuaga but I like the physically he adds to an already toughened up Oline. I want to get physical like the Lions and just maul people then after sucking them in, unleashing our pass game.

Someone mentioned Havenstein under contract through 25. I don't expect Havenstein, and our interior line to make it through 17+ games the next two years.

Not a massive need pick, more a personal bias towards Oline. Only situation I am considering is if our edge, DT and CB targets are gone at 19 and we cannot move back. To me this is a safe, high floor pick to strengthen the trenches.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I think the first rep is more of a display of Latu's multiple pass rush techniques, but, I agree, it may not have been successful in a real game. I just think his hand technique is well above average
Absolutely right that his hand technique is advanced for his age. I think, however, that that is somewhat offset because his athleticism is just adequate and he doesn't have elite size, length, or strength.

More than any position, edge defenders are a traits-based position.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not a massive need pick, more a personal bias towards Oline. Only situation I am considering is if our edge, DT and CB targets are gone at 19 and we cannot move back. To me this is a safe, high floor pick to strengthen the trenches.
For myself if Fashanu or Fuaga are on the board I would have a very hard time not taking them. These are cornerstone type dudes potentially so I'd suck it up and make the pick if they're sitting there.

Bowers I feel the same on. Shouldn't be anywhere near 19 but if he is I take him.

Latu, Turner, and Verse round out my short list because with any of those three you get that edge threat done right out the gate which would be a slam dunk for us to kick this draft off. Enormous need so let's hope it gets filled quickly.

Guess that's six for me but Bowers has zero chance to be there.

Back to the OTs depending on how the Rams feel of course they probably have a different short list. But if they see any of these guys as LTs and they get to 19 it's like Edge where it's a cornerstone answer and thus highly prioritized IMO.

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
Going back to the original question, my five would be as follows:

D. Turner
Q. Mitchell
T. Arnold
J. Verse
B. Murphy II

With honourable mentions to B. Bowers and C. DeJean.