LEGEND Your Song of the Day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I was strolling along through some second-hand shops yesterday and ran across this album. It brought back some memories. Good album.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...union-2015-concert-rock-n-horsepower-hurtwood

Rod Stewart to Reunite With Faces For First Time in 40 Years
By Chris Payne |

rod-stewart-faces-1972-billboard-650.jpg

The Faces pose for a portrait circa 1972.
Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images

Rod Stewart is reuniting with the Faces for the first time since the group's 1975 demise. But it's a one-time gig, and you'll have to make it out to England to catch it.

On Sept. 5, Stewart will join fellow Faces members Ronnie Wood (guitar) and Kenney Jones (drums) in Ewhurst, Surrey for a Rock 'n' Horsepower benefit show supporting Prostate Cancer UK. The show takes place at Hurtwood Park Polo Club at 4:30 p.m. (local time), preceded by a polo match, according to the event's official web site. Tickets are available here.

"This year is the 40th anniversary since the Faces parted ways so it's about time we got together for a jam," Stewart said via statement. "Being in the Faces back in the day was a whirlwind of madness but my God, it was beyond brilliant. We are pleased to be able to support Prostate Cancer UK."

Jones added:

"This is the third Rock 'n' Horsepower we've put on for Prostate Cancer UK and it's shaping up to be the biggest yet. The years of the Faces were some of the best of my life and I'm so proud to have been a part of the band. I'm unbelievably excited to have the opportunity to get up on stage with Rod and Ronnie again. Ronnie Lane and Ian McLagan will be dearly missed but we'll raise a glass to them."

Original keyboardist Ian McLagan died in 2014 and bassist Ronnie Lane died in 1997.

Stewart was supposed to perform with the Faces when they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2009, but could not due to illness.

The Faces' four studio LPs, along with a plethora of rarities, are being re-released on Aug. 25 via a box set called 1970-1975: You Can Make Me Dance, Sing Or Anything… Check it out here.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlWGsI9yjZY&spfreload=10

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK_wPCQCVRY&spfreload=10

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcAl93uEYUA&spfreload=10

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/int...mselves-time-to-get-good.html#~pkTRfbbqVoU87h

Alice Cooper interview: 'New bands don't give themselves time to get good'
By Lewis Corner

13-alice-credit-kyler-clark.jpg

© Kyler Clark

If you popped in on any given night to the Rainbow Bar and Grill in Los Angeles during the 1970s, upstairs you would have found a dedicated drinking club attended by some of the world's most famous rockers.

Founded by club president Alice Cooper, they called themselves The Hollywood Vampires. The Who's Keith Moon, Harry Nilsson and Bernie Taupin were all regulars, while John Lennon and Ringo Starr would pop in if they were visiting town.

Over 40 years on, Alice Cooper found himself having a conversation with Johnny Depp about conceptualising The Hollywood Vampires into a record honoring the legendary club members, rounding up a supergroup of special collaborations for the project.

Digital Spy caught up with Alice to chat about the golden days of rock, how the drinking club ironically helped him overcome his alcohol addiction, and why he thinks today's rock bands don't have the same kind of dedication that they did back then.

You have a new album coming out, but this time it's as part of The Hollywood Vampires.
"It was one of those things we realized that - doesn't matter what band you're in; The Beatles, The Stones - every band was a cover band at one time. We all started in bars and we all started by playing other people's music. So I said, 'Why don't we do an album dedicated to our drinking club The Hollywood Vampires?'

"In the early '70s we used to go to the Rainbow every night; Keith Moon, Harry Nilsson, and John Lennon when he was in town, and it was just a bunch of guys who met there every night and it was last man standing. Everybody was at the top of their game at the time, but now there's only three of us left. Most of the guys, John, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison are all gone, so I said, 'Let's do an album dedicated to all our dead drunk friends'."

And you have the new track 'Dead Drunk Friends' on the album that directly pays tribute to them.
"Yeah, it was sort of a bar drinking song. This one goes out to the crew, this one goes out to the wives, this one goes out to all of our dead drunk friends."
As President of The Hollywood Vampires back in the '70s, did you come up with the name?
"Yeah, I figured it was the blood of the vine not the blood of the vein. We were up all night and very rarely did any of us see daytime, so I said, 'We are like vampires, except we don't drink blood, we drink alcohol'. It just kind of stuck. They gave us a room upstairs and it was sort of the lair of the vampires up there. It was really anybody that came in town that was a drinker. Anybody who was in rock and roll who knew where the drinking club was."

To join the club one had to outdrink the other members, but did anyone fail the initiation?
"Well I don't think any of us would have been able to outdrink Harry [Nilsson]. And nobody could get as out there as Keith Moon! He may have had more going on than just the alcohol."

Johnny Depp and yourself came up with the idea for the tribute three years ago, but what instigated that first discussion about it?
"Well I was doing Dark Shadows with him at Pinewood, and one night we decided we were going to go down the 100 Club right off Oxford Street. So many great players had been in there to play, and I said, 'I want to be one of those players that's played the 100 Club'. So we went in and we invited Johnny to come down because we knew he was a good guitar player.

We just took requests all night. We just enjoyed being a bar band again, without all the glitz and glam. It was fun to just go back and play other people's music. So Johnny said, 'If we conceptualise this, and turn it into a dedication to all those guys that really pretty much taught us everything' - even though we drank with them, they were still our big brothers - 'then we can really include everybody who influenced us'."

So when you do your shows with the Hollywood Vampires, you're going to keep that bar band set-up?
"Yeah, it's not going to be a glitzy, glammy Alice Cooper thing, because it's not an Alice Cooper album, it's a Hollywood Vampires album. I'm just one of the singers. But everyone we called up wanted to be on. I called up Brian Johnson from AC/DC and said, 'Hey do you want to sing on this?', and he was like, 'Yeah, absolutely'. Dave Grohl played drums on a bunch of stuff, and Zak Starkey played on a bunch of things. Once the word got out, everybody wanted to be on the album. Paul McCartney, of course, came in and that was the big gigantic cap to have him there."

14-alice-joe-credit-kyler-clark.jpg

© Kyler Clark

I was going to say that it must have been a challenge to get all these great musicians involved, but it sounds like it was easy.
"It was the most fun thing. There was never a single bit of pressure. Everybody was just there to have fun. Anyone who would come in, we'd just look at them and be like, 'What do you want to do?' It was that loose! It was really just very, very casual and it felt really good. The album just rocks."

There was such a wealth of material to choose from for this project, so how did you decide which songs to cover?
"Honestly, nobody said it has to be this, or has to be that. The trickiest one, I think, was the Harry Nilsson stuff. He wasn't necessarily a hard rocker, but the songs only had to be treated differently. We took 'One' and then went into 'Jump Into The Fire' and then at the very end someone started playing 'Put the Lime in the Coconut', which kind of felt like it fits.

'One' was very tricky because it was very pop, and so Johnny went in with Dave Grohl and they re-cut the guitars and the drums on it, and gave it a lot more life. Then I decided I was going to sing it as creepy Alice, and make a very pop sounding lyric sort of now sound a little more threatening. The whole idea really kind of worked out!"

Sir Christopher Lee opens the record, which is even more poignant now after he sadly passed away earlier this year. It must've been great to work with him one last time.
"You know, I think it was the very last thing he recorded. There's a part of the tape we were listening to when he was reading Bram Stoker and at one point it's, 'What music they make, the children of the night,' and then you hear him say to the engineer, 'I dread to think what Alice is going to do with this.' I said, 'We've got to keep that, that's great'."

So if you could go back and give the Alice Cooper who was in the Hollywood Vampires a piece of advice, what would it be and why?
"Aww man, I'll tell you the truth, I always think I would say, 'Wow, don't become an alcoholic.' But then, going through that alcoholic experience, especially with those guys, was an education. The fact that I did get through it and came out the other end okay, was something that gave me a lot of strength later on. I figured if I could get through that... Because I was a classic alcoholic - there was pretty much nothing that was going to stop us at that point.

5-johnny-joe-credit-kyler-clark.jpg

© Kyler Clark

"It was a choice between living and dying, and my doctor said, 'Look, you can go and join the rest of the Vampires who have gone, or you can make 20 more albums. You better make your decision in three weeks though, because that's how much time you have.' I made the decision that I'd rather make records. The finality of that is that it's very poetic that I decided not to die with the other guys, and end up honoring them through this album. So there was a two-fold reason to quit drinking."

Why do you think new rock bands today are struggling to connect with the public on the same scale that these bands did in their heyday?
"Bands don't seem to decide, 'We're not stopping until we either make it or don't make it.' They seem to stay together for a little bit of time and then just kind of go, 'OK, that's enough' and move on. They don't give themselves time to get good. It's one album and out, and you go, 'Guys, you've got to make five albums before you really click in with something'. There was a different work ethic between the Bowies and the Alice Coopers to now.

"Back then it was all about, how good are the songs? How good is the show? That was it. You made a record and then you toured, and then you made a record, and then you toured. You didn't play at it - it was really your life. There were just bands that were lifers. Like Mick Jagger and The Stones, all the guys still out there like the Jimmy Pages and Jeff Becks. All they want to do all their life is play that music. I was one of those guys."

The Hollywood Vampires' new self-titled album will be released on September 11, with a handful of shows scheduled for this autumn. All artist proceeds will be donated to MusiCares.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAXtZ21c7u8&spfreload=10

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I've seen "The Knack" 4 times Iowa. Great band live, and despite the Nuke the Knack Campaign the semi-fab-four were much more than a one hit wonder.

Mob Rules? Scary good song, great album! Color me uninformed CodeMonkey...Who is Todd Jenkins?

Primetime comes thru with another fabulous interview. I saw Alice for the first time last year! Verdict? Alice's band rocked the house! I recommend catching Alice live next time around. Tickets are reasonable and his band is atomic and since Alice quit drinking , he saved his voice! Primo!

...Oh Ozark, I believe Van Morrison's album Astral Weeks is an Eleven! Moondance is a masterpiece! I would gladly give up my Van Morrison CD collection up, to take a time machine ride front and center at that concert you posted.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVxcwe7EcaY

Last edited: