LEGEND Your Song of the Day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I like that song. I like the 4 beat guitar and bass change just before they sing the money line. "They just don't write em like that anymore."
I give it a 92 , it's got a groovy beat and it's easy to dance to

1970s-rate-a-record-85.jpg

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify

Cool piece on Nile Rodgers here:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/nile-rodgers-is-one-of-the-greatest-geniuses-in-the-history#.asLBLKMMw

Nile Rodgers Wrote Every Funky Song You’ve Ever Loved
You might know him as the leader of Chic, or the guy playing guitar on Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky,” but he’s responsible for a lot more of your favorite tunes.
posted on May 23, 2013, at 2:36 p.m.

Matthew Perpetua

Nile Rodgers isn’t a household name, but he’s the man behind some of the best – and most important – dance music of all time. It’s almost impossible to be alive today and not know his music.
enhanced-buzz-21049-1369320892-1.jpg

Rodgers is best known as the guitarist, co-founder, and primary songwriter of Chic, one of the most popular and influential bands of the disco era.
enhanced-buzz-3682-1369321503-18.jpg

3. Rodgers’ guitar style is unmistakable, but widely imitated. If you close your eyes and imagine what a disco guitar part sounds like, you automatically just imagine something like his riffs.

Chic’s first smash hit was “Everybody Dance” in 1977…
enhanced-buzz-23047-1369333301-20.jpg

Chic, “Everybody Dance”

…and “Le Freak” was a No. 1 hit in 1978.
enhanced-buzz-22174-1369321955-2.jpg

Chic, “Le Freak”

Chic solidified their status as the best disco band of all time in 1979 with “Good Times.” If Rodgers never did another thing in his life, he would be a legend just for Chic’s body of work.
enhanced-buzz-3841-1369322045-0.jpg

Chic, “Good Times”

But later that year, the Sugarhill Gang adapted the groove from “Good Times” for “Rapper’s Delight,” the very first hip-hop single. Rodgers was instrumental in the creation of an entire new genre of music.
enhanced-buzz-24726-1369322137-5.jpg

Sugarhill Gang, “Rapper’s Delight”

Around the same time, Rodgers began co-writing, producing, and performing on songs for other acts. He wrote huge disco hits for Sister Sledge…
enhanced-buzz-20811-1369324198-22.jpg

Sister Sledge, “We Are Family”

…and gave the legendary Diana Ross a disco makeover on her smash hit album Diana in 1980.
enhanced-buzz-27893-1369335104-0.jpg

Diana Ross, “Upside Down”

These collaborations also became the basis of major rap songs years later. “He’s the Greatest Dancer” begat “Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It”…
grid-cell-20747-1369324285-15.jpg

grid-cell-20747-1369324286-18.jpg

Sister Sledge, “He’s the Greatest Dancer”

Will Smith, “Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It”

…and “I’m Coming Out” became “Mo Money, Mo Problems.”
grid-cell-8228-1369324263-39.jpg

grid-cell-8228-1369324264-42.jpg

Diana Ross, “I’m Coming Out”

The Notorious B.I.G. featuring Puffy Daddy and Mase, “Mo Money, Mo Problems”

Rodgers teamed up with David Bowie in 1983 to produce Let’s Dance. The record became one of Bowie’s greatest commercial successes, and the title track is now one of his most famous tunes.
enhanced-buzz-20760-1369324325-19.jpg

David Bowie, “Let’s Dance”

He also was called in to produce INXS’s song “Original Sin,” which was the band’s first major hit in the United States.
enhanced-buzz-20283-1369324346-20.jpg

INXS, “Original Sin”

Rodgers was also crucial in Duran Duran’s career – he produced “The Reflex” and “Notorious,” two of their biggest hits.
grid-cell-21049-1369324447-15.jpg

grid-cell-21049-1369324448-18.jpg

Duran Duran, “The Reflex”

Duran Duran, “Notorious”

32. His work on Madonna’s second album, Like A Virgin, cemented his reputation as one of the greatest producers of the ’80s. That album pushed Madonna to superstar status with the era-defining smashes “Like A Virgin” and “Material Girl.”
grid-cell-19670-1369324553-24.jpg

grid-cell-19670-1369324554-27.jpg

Madonna, “Like A Virgin”

“Material Girl”

Rodgers has produced dozens of other records, including collaborations with Grace Jones, Al Jarreau, Stevie Winwood, and Cyndi Lauper. In 1989, he co-produced The B-52’s comeback album Cosmic Thing, which features the immortal “Love Shack.”
enhanced-buzz-19669-1369324571-32.jpg

The B-52’s, “Love Shack”

Rodgers has kept active over the years with more production work and tours with Chic. He occasionally takes time out of his busy schedule to give people pointers on how to emulate his distinctive guitar style.

At some point a few years ago, the robots of Daft Punk found an old Chic record and were inspired to invite Rodgers to collaborate with them on their album Random Access Memories.
enhanced-buzz-15199-1369331683-20.jpg

That resulted in “Get Lucky,” a song featuring Pharrell that became Daft Punk’s biggest chart hit ever. Rodgers played on three other songs on the album too, which has introduced his genius to a whole new generation of fans.
enhanced-buzz-20758-1369324601-24.jpg

Daft Punk featuring Pharrell, “Get Lucky”

Daft Punk, “Give Life Back to Music”

Never stop the funk, Nile.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-13924-1369332363-12.gif

Last edited:

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
@CodeMonkey
In the late 1970's I and three friends went on a road trip to Oregon in my 1968 Plymouth Belvedere.
The stories of that trip are endless and one day we may have to create a thread about road trips.
For example: the recount of our overnight stay at the infamous Boggy creek in central Oregon in the middle of nowhere and in the middle of the night looking for Sasquatch with a 22 rifle, drunk off our asses would be at least a NY Times best seller. lol
But that is for another time.
Anyway...
On the way back to Los Angeles on that very road trip we stopped in San Francisco and after a nice dinner on the wharf and getting ripped off by a dishonest street pot dealer we happened to walk into a bar.
It was around 2:00 AM and the place was hopping.
Now... we were four dudes from the valley that grew up on Dirt Bikes, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. In that order...
We looked up on the stage and the band that was playing was the B-52's. We had never seen anything like that before. Bee hive hair and heavy English accent vocals.
We stayed until the end of the show and was invited to their after party but it was almost 4 in the morning so we passed. (Please see man kicking himself in the ass.) lol
Ten years later I watched them perform Love Shack on SNL...

Last edited:

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
In the late 1970's I and three friends went on a road trip to Oregon in my 1968 Plymouth Belvedere...On the way back to Los Angeles on that road trip we stopped in San Francisco and after a nice dinner on the wharf and getting ripped off by a dishonest street pot dealer we happened to walk into a bar....We looked up on the stage and the band that was playing was the B-52's. We had never seen anything like that before. Bee hive hair and heavy English accent vocals.
We stayed until the end of the show and was invited to their after party but it was almost 4 in the morning so we passed. (Please see man kicking himself in the ass.) lol

That's a cool story, LA. Love Shack is so fun at a party...especially group karaoke. @IowaRam loves to dance to this one, Im sure!

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Nile Rodgers Wrote Every Funky Song You’ve Ever Loved

Thanks for posting all that CM. (y)

@CodeMonkey

Love Shack is my dog's favorite song. He'll be in the back seat of the car chewing on himself or doing whatever dogs do, and when I put in that tape he'll coming bopping up to the front and dance around. My wife couldn't believe it the first time she saw him doing that. :)

I watched a James Bond movie the other night with Sophie Marceau and went to You Tube to see if there were any interviews with her. This video might not be safe for work as it has some nudity in it. The song is Six Shooter by Coyote Kisses. Wow, what a gorgeous woman and a great song. :rockon:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmmnnPjU6TI

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
And now if you gentlemen will excuse me , I'm going to go dance with me wife

dancing1a_zpsb56367f8.jpg