Your First Car

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
First car I ever bought was a 1974 Pontiac LeMans , Dark Blue

It was like 1980 / 1981 , I was like 15 years old , I bought it from a school teacher ( not one of mine )

Had a 400 engine / 400 transmission , a lot of power , but it wasn't the fastest , But I still miss that car ,

Everything from taking my wife to the drive in movie , although she wasn't actually my wife at the time , or just cruising up and down Grand on a Saturday Night

We had a lot of great times in that car , and I'll still check Craigs List or eBay , just on the change I could still find one for sale

This isn't a picture of mine , but mine looked just liked it

ccar2_zps5xr4hcs6.jpg

ccar3_zpslzikdxla.jpg

ccar4_zpseod3dsdq.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good looking car. Mine was(well, still is):
Camaro_004.jpg

Might sell it and buy a 67 to 69 Camaro or a 67 to 69 Firebird. I love classic American muscle.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
BlackSable92.jpg

This isn't my personal one, but my first was the 1992 Mercury Sable. Had a purple interior. At one point, I had pink fuzzy dice like a pimp.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Got a 94 gold Honda Accord from my sister who got it from our neighbor. It was in 2005, when I was 17. Technically I belonged to my parents, but I bought it from them.

First car I bought myself was a Honda civic in 2009, first vehicle was a Yamaha R6, both with deployment money. Debated getting a charger, but figured two vehicles was better, plus I really wanted a bike. Sold it last summer to pay my way back home, I miss it.

fearsomefour

Legend
Mine was a 67 Mustang, midnight blue and just fast as hell....every car has been progressively worse, working my way toward a bus pass.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Goddamn you guys were riding in F'n style.

In 1989.............'80 Honda Accord hatchback.
1980%2Bhinda%2Baccord%2B1.jpg

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I did pimp around in one of these for awhile in my 20's.
006.jpg

Had that plush burgundy interior that was more comfortable than most couches. Enough room to have an orgy in the backseat. It was good for hauling around my musical equipment too. Could almost put an entire 5 piece drum set in the trunk. Lol.

Had a 7LT 425 V8 under the hood. Never in my life have i felt as safe, sexy and comfortable on the road then i did in my Caddy. :D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mine was a 67 Mustang, midnight blue and just fast as hell....every car has been progressively worse, working my way toward a bus pass.

Sounds like one fun ride.

@Mojo Ram
I don't know what you're talking about when you were driving the sexmobile.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
catalina.jpg

Cool topic.

1972 Pontiac Catalina, and I bought it for $200 from my neighbor.

Mine should have killed me twice, but I lucked out I suppose. Far too much car and engine for a 16 year old kid.
Freaking tank with a 455/4BBL engine and I drove it like a maniac.

Back seat was HUGE though, and yes -- that's where I lost my cherry.
Miss that car so much.

Last edited:

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
74 chevelle malibu 400 / 4 bbl that horrid olive green color of that year. there was an oil leak somewhere. engine block was dry. no smoke out of the tailpipe. never found it. 4 of the fuses were replaced with aluminum foil to keep the lights on. had a union horn (worked when it wanted to). however, the CLOCK worked perfectly, which thankfully saved me from several near misses as i was 16 and not allowed on the roadways after midnite.............hence the need to keep the lights on. ran like a top though.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
My first car was a 99 Malibu
image.jpg

My second car however, was a 1995 V8 Mustang. Customized cobra front bumper, new system, fresh paint. That car was the shit and I lost my virginity in it too. Needless to say i fucking loved that car. Where is it now you ask?

Well....
image.jpg

It was an electrical fire. I put around $3000 into that. Since I didn't have "fire insurance" I got nothing back. One of the worst days of my life. At the same time, it probably saved me from getting killed in an accident since I drove it wayyyy too fast.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
My Grandfather bought me my first car when I was 15. I can't remember the exact year of it but I'm guessing it was a 81 or 82. It was a Mustang with a 5.0 engine.

I can't believe I'm still alive when I think back on how fast I drove that piece of shit. It was fast as hell but the car couldn't really handle the horsepower. I spun that thing out on rainy roads far too often... one time I remember driving along and suddenly just spinning around like tw0 360's or some shit and when the spinning was over I was headed in the wrong direction straight into traffic.

I used to have a little tiki idol carved out of lava rock that had red diamond eyes (they weren't really diamonds,,, but they were about the size of a 1 carrot diamond and were cut just like an engagement ring diamond). My friends and I believed that that thing had some kind of magical powers that would keep us from crashing and getting tickets. We were dumb asses... but we're alive today... unbelievably.

The fucking car was possessed though. I'll never forget the day that I was standing in my driveway and the car just started trying to crank up on it's own. Nobody was in it... it just started cranking the ignition all by itself. I had to pull the battery cable off to get it to stop. After all that shit I named it the "Mustake". I've disliked Mustangs ever since.

Memphis Ram

Legend
1974 Plymouth Fury

Looked just like this one. Same color and everything. Only slightly beat up.
1974_Plymouth_Fury_sedan.png

Bought it for $600 at 16 years old with the money I made from my first job (Steak N' Shake) and you couldn't tell me anything. I was King.:ROFLMAO:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

I'm drooling. That's my dream car. Had a chance to buy one in the mid-80's. The guy had me test drive it and while we were out on the road he told me that the brakes didn't work. I was so mad that I turned down buying it because I didn't want to pay that dumbass.

My first car was a blue 63 Volkswagen bug. But my favorite car I ever owned was a 61 Austin Healey Sprite. The problem was that I had to carry a spare fuel pump in the trunk at all times. It had twin carburetors that had to constantly be retuned. My mechanic once told me that I was putting his kids through school. :)

zof0gw.jpg

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
i really dig this thread - the electrical fire is awesome L4, and the Chrysler Newport is legendary Phoenix

mine was a 77 Dodge Tradesman Van - seriously. our neighbors growing up owned La Habra Dodge and my dad bought a stock van and had it converted into a killer party van. but by the time i was able to drive in 86 it was no longer the cool machine to drive. But it was perfect for me. Only issues were i am a man of smaller stature and it was sort of hard being 16 and driving that huge of a car.

After school i'd have a crowd of dudes gathering around my van for rides home. Now it was cool cause you'd get gas money and weed on any given day -- but the downfall was you could never tell someone that you have no room in your car cause it was an f'ing VAN. eventually i got in so many accidents that it no longer ran.

I did my further customizations and put on a wood steering wheel, new tires, and got a custom license plate that read "LVN4JAH" - i was a bit of a stoner back then. Once and a while a Rastafarian - a real one - would pull up beside me and honk the horn cause he saw the Jah plates, well I'd have forgotten and get all freaked out cause some dude was flagging me down only to later remember the plates....

Unfortunately never got laid in that thing - it wasn't a favorite of any of the dads in my neighborhood, especially the ones with good looking daughters

2 years after i sold it some of my buddies told me they saw it on the 5 freeway going up to LA and it had been converted yet again, but this time into a workers construction van.

My next car of course was a --- you guessed it -- 85 CIVIC - i haven't quite been as popular since

wallpapers_dodge_tradesman_1976_1.jpg

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm drooling. That's my dream car. Had a chance to buy one in the mid-80's. The guy had me test drive it and while we were out on the road he told me that the brakes didn't work. I was so mad that I turned down buying it because I didn't want to pay that dumbass.

My first car was a blue 63 Volkswagen bug. But my favorite car I ever owned was a 61 Austin Healey Sprite. The problem was that I had to carry a spare fuel pump in the trunk at all times. It had twin carburetors that had to constantly be retuned. My mechanic once told me that I was putting his kids through school. :)

zof0gw.jpg
I would love to get that model Mustang back. Fun car. I was lucky to survive it at 15. I loved that car. My father traded to a guy to paint our house when I was 18. But, I had gotten in trouble....more than once, so, he did what he did. So it goes, I deserved it. If he wanted to torture me he should have driven it himself.
Anyway, those British sports cars are a trip, but, they are fun little cars. My dad had a few MGs and they did seem to have "quirks".

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I would love to get that model Mustang back. Fun car. I was lucky to survive it at 15. I loved that car. My father traded to a guy to paint our house when I was 18. But, I had gotten in trouble....more than once, so, he did what he did. So it goes, I deserved it. If he wanted to torture me he should have driven it himself.
Anyway, those British sports cars are a trip, but, they are fun little cars. My dad had a few MGs and they did seem to have "quirks".

I bought the Sprite after crashing my motorcycle and vowing never to ride one ever again. The Sprite with the top down was the closest I came to having that wind-in-your-hair feeling.

While those cars may not have been as reliable as the Toyota Solara I drive today, there were so many memories of youth and fun attached to them. I was so tired of the Sprite breaking down that early one morning on the way to work I left it broken down by the side of the road, hitchhiked to work, and never went back to get it.

A friend had a 68 Mustang that we used to take to the beach in Santa Cruz, CA. It was a dark green hardtop. Any of those "muscle cars" from the 70's would do in a pinch as well.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/best-american-muscle-cars-of-all-time-1.aspx

7 best American muscle cars of all time

1967 Pontiac GTO

Photo by Jack Snell

Purists not tracing the era of muscle cars to the 1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 typically mark its beginning with the 1964 GTO. Skirting a General Motors ban against putting big engines -- any engine larger than 330 cubic inches -- into small cars, Pontiac sneaked a 389-cubic-inch V-8 into its Tempest as an option called the GTO in 1964, according to MotorTrend.com. Response was so huge that the car won over GM execs, paving the way for a stable of Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Buick and Pontiac muscle cars.

Because of its historic value, the 1965 version could represent GTO on this list, but 1967 marked the first full model year of availability of ram air through a functional hood scoop on the GTO. It was a 400-cubic-inch V-8, delivering 360 horsepower.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner Hemi

Photo courtesy of RK Motors Charlotte

Forget the niceties. Plymouth wanted a bare-knuckle, muscle-car fighter.

With all the subtlety of a jar of nitroglycerin, the Plymouth Road Runner Hemi was pure explosive brawn. It's one of the all-time great performance-car names. With a 425-horsepower, 426-cubic-inch Hemi V-8 engine, the Road Runner struck fear into the hearts of the Saturday night country-road, drag-racing crowd.

Before unleashing the first Road Runner in 1968, Plymouth licensed the Road Runner name and likeness from Warner Brothers. It went a step further in capitalizing on the cartoon character's speedy image by developing a horn sound imitating the cartoon bird's "beep-beep," according to HowStuffWorks.com.

1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429

The Mustang Boss 429 is what you get when a carmaker needs to meet NASCAR regulations. Fewer than 1,400 were built between 1969 and 1970, making the Boss 429 a rare bird indeed.

Enjoying a big-dog reputation, the Boss 429 wasn't a giant killer right out of the box. Its 429-cubic-inch V-8 engine delivered 375-horsepower, not shabby but dwarfed by others on this list.

What makes it truly notable is that it was basically hand-built. Because the engine wouldn't fit in a standard Mustang without extensive modifications, Ford farmed out its assembly to Michigan-based Kar Kraft. In appearance, very little distinguished the Boss 429 other than a hood scoop and trunk-mounted spoiler.

1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

© General Motors

Today's Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 is named for the legendary 1969 Camaro ZL1, and for good reason. With fewer than 70 ever built, the '69 ZL1 not only had the most powerful Chevrolet engine offered to the public for decades, it's the rarest production car Chevrolet ever made, bumping the price to $7,200, according to HowStuffWorks.com.

Based on Chevrolet's iconic 427 V-8 engine, the ZL power plant had an aluminum block in place of the regular 427's iron one -- the first such Chevy production engine. Although it was officially rated at the regular 427's 430 horsepower, most independent testers pegged the output as being much higher.

1970 Buick GSX Stage 1

When Buick entered the muscle-car market, it was among the most luxurious of the brands, and some of the most powerful.

The GSX appearance package, first available for the 1970 Gran Sport 455, abandoned Buick's traditional, more dignified branding with a rear spoiler and body striping. Of the 687 GSXs built, 488 were ordered with the Stage 1 upgrade, according to HowStuffWorks.com.

First appearing as an option on the 1965 Skylark (as well as the Riviera and Wildcat lines), Gran Sport became a separate nameplate in 1967. By 1970, a 455-cubic-inch V-8 engine powered the Gran Sport. It produced a hefty 510 pounds-foot of torque. Those with Stage 1 tuning and engine tweaks delivered 360 horsepower to the rear wheels. There were quicker competitors, but the GSX truly was unique.

1970 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda

Photo courtesy of RK Motors Charlotte

A variety of six- and eight-cylinder engines powered the 1970 Plymouth Barracuda, but the big dog of the bunch was armed with the dual-carburetor, 426-cubic-inch Hemi that whipped up 425 horsepower. The Hemi 'Cuda could certainly go toe to toe with the era's top-tier muscle cars, as the carmaker gave its muscle cars a suspension tailored to heavy-metal acceleration, according to HowStuffWorks.com.

The Barracuda originally was based on the Valiant. But with a 1970 redesign, the Barracuda finally shifted away from the Valiant’s design. Plymouth produced a limited number of the Hemi 'Cudas, which are highly prized today.

Opting for the Hemi V-8 engine boosted the purchase price. A shaker hood, featuring an air intake mounted on top of the engine's air cleaner that protrudes through a hole in the hood, was standard on the Hemi 'Cuda.

1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454

© General Motors

Many consider 1970 to be the apex of the muscle-car era, and the Chevelle SS 454 is a weighty piece of evidence for that argument. Chevrolet offered two versions of the 454-cubic-inch V-8. The LS5 generated a very impressive 360 horsepower, while the LS6 punched out a whopping 450 ponies. It's the LS6 version, with its Holley four-barrel carburetor, that put the SS 454 on this list. No other muscle car would equal the horsepower wallop of the 1970 SS 454, according to HowThingsWork.com. It was the last great gasp of the muscle-car era.

Not only could the SS 454 blow the doors off most of its competitors, it looked good doing it. Chevelle's swept-back roof line provided the illusion of speed, even when idle. A bulged hood was part of the design, alerting passers-by that something really special was happening under it.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Those classics just scream history. In Oklahoma if you drive around some of the smaller towns, you see a lot of those cars. I always stare at them, since I'm in awe this was the American 50s and 60s (something I had no idea about being raised in Indian culture).

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I was making 100 bucks a week as a dock boy at Pier 31 harbor at the Lake of the Ozarks and driving this cool ride. I say to this day that was the best job I ever had. My buddy and I used to water ski to work! The uniform was swimming trunks and you get to enjoy the lake and watch the big Scarrab boats roll in loaded with pretty ladies. I was the king of the world!

77 Ford Thunderbird

tbird1977dovegrey.jpg