Your Favorite Painters in History

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No @Merlin I don't mean house painters!

One summer semester at University, I thought I'd knock out some required courses in a short semester. One of those was a 2 unit class called Art History, which to my surprise I thoroughly enjoyed. Now I'm no high fallutin wine swiller like @den-the-coach and I put my pants on one leg at a time. I shouldn't like these paintings done by the Masters, but I do. Here are some of my favorites.
Starry Night, by Vincent Van Gogh
Ibe3YuX.jpg

Ascent of the Blessed, by Hieronymus Bosch
tZZdj5m.jpg

Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte, by Georges Seurat
i2Q7Mlm.jpg

Water Lillies, Harmony in Blue, Claude Monet
7VEhLzU.jpg

If you've read this far, maybe you'll post some of your favorites!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Bob Ross. Because he was a badass in real life, and also a very good person in real life as well.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Now I'm no high fallutin wine swiller like @den-the-coach and I put my pants on one leg at a time.
Maybe you should do a painting of "Man wearing pants." Art, never my strength, however, I love history and the movie Monuments Men puts everything in proper perspective preserving past relics. Overall it is easy to mention the likes of van Gogh, Monet, da Vinci & Rembrandt, but I tend to like the renditions of Norman Rockwell & Thomas Kinkade as they capture American Life and we have plenty of those throughout our home.
rockwell---freedom-from-want.3086940590090511894.jpg

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe you should do a painting of "Man wearing pants." Art, never my strength, however, I love history and the movie Monuments Men puts everything in proper perspective preserving past relics. Overall it is easy to mentions the likes of van Gogh, Monet, da Vinci & Rembrandt, but I tend to like the renditions of Norman Rockwell & Thomas Kinkade as they capture American Life and we have plenty of those throughout our home.
There is one Thomas Kincaid painting I love and I don't know the name for it. It's early 20th century with all of the San Francisco lights twinkling watching a cable car going down a steep Frisco hill

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
There is one Thomas Kincaid painting I love and I don't know the name for it. It's early 20th century with all of the San Francisco lights twinkling watching a cable car going down a steep Frisco hill
Yeah, we don't have that one because as much as my wife loved it, I would not purchase that painting because it's San Francisco. The name of the painting is "Powell Street."
sfpowl-813x1024.jpg

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This by Asher Brown Durand has been on my desktop for some time now.
asher brown durand.jpg

John Atkinson Grimshaw before the above.
Reflections_on_the_Thames,_Westminster_-_Grimshaw,_John_Atkinson.jpg

This next is a print I got from my Grandmothers estate by Charles W. Bartlett.
udaipur-1916-print-made-by-charles-w-artokoloro.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My trophy bride of 30 years usually gets her way, but she understood and was a great sport about it.
I will admit that I have partied in SF many times, starting when I was stationed at Moffett in the early 90s and multiple times during Fleet Week. And honestly it surprised me during the Fleet Weeks that I rarely paid for a drink, as we were required to hit the town in our dress uniforms and the city was very good to us.

But yes the stain that is the shitters is like a filthy residue in their bars even while under the influence of copious amounts of adult beverages.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But yes the stain that is the shitters is like a filthy residue in their bars even while under the influence of copious amounts of adult beverages.
It is a great town, no doubt and I have always enjoyed myself when I was there and they have an amazing history plus have been a microcosm of American Society forever, but as to the Giants, Warriors & 49ers...Boo!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will admit that I have partied in SF many times, starting when I was stationed at Moffett in the early 90s and multiple times during Fleet Week. And honestly it surprised me during the Fleet Weeks that I rarely paid for a drink, as we were required to hit the town in our dress uniforms and the city was very good to us.

Well, there were certain unspoken expectations.....
AVAHXFR.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guess I walked into that one didn't I.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is not down on any map; true places never are.

1679854508466.png

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This painting by Harry Anderson “Prince of Peace” hung in my household growing up. Even as a kid this painting made me think.

And I love that about it.

I am not discussing religion instead the art concept “Prince of Peace” knocking on the UN building remains a great one with today’s global challenges.

Whoever your prince is, ask him to do this for us!

Peace.

mark-16-9-15-reflection-harry-anderson.jpg

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another favorite is Degas ballerina paintings. I love the shadows of the scene, identifying the soft glow of gas jet lighting of thr 1870's and 1880's. It also suggests the darker side of ballet, with wealthy men always being around the ballerinas backstage, always watching....

jncJQlh.jpg

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I am the son of a professional artist and the husband of another. My parents' house looks like a museum. My mom was mentored by artists such as Joe De Yong and Grace Harvey. She taught art at the LA Art Institute with Grace.

I was always fascinated by a lot of Joe's early western character mock ups for movie sets.
iu

He was a true cowboy and hung out with the likes of Tom Mix, Gene Autry, Charles Russell, and Wyatt Earp. I only met Joe once in the early 70s shortly before his death. But just sitting around listening to him talk about the old west and early Hollyweird was fascinating. He had some great photos and artwork that became my mom's on his passing. My mom also helped with the illustrating of his biography.

I personally have always been a big Toulouse Lautrec fan. I'm not even really sure why. Maybe just the gritty nature of the way he captured people.
iu

My wife loves Van Gogh. We had the opportunity to go to the Van Gogh exhibit at the Getty several years ago and as a bonus for me, they had a couple Lautrecs on exhibit. My wife's favorite Van Goghs are Irises and Sunflowers. I'd post pictures but I think everyone has seen them many times.

Here are a couple of my mom's pieces:
cc123d0e200d8731c3d42ce8bb2343dc.jpg

fota-2012-vel-miller-booth-horse-statue.jpg

ashley-and-her-cat-vel-miller.jpg

And my wife's:
iu

276171297_5165426056822457_8035570225158801717_n.jpg

220468225_4365332883498449_8019517246365414316_n.jpg