Your 2024 draft crush(es)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Lots of bodies, but many won't necessarily fit the blocking scheme as well.

I was listening to another Cowboys draft show and to a man they pointed out the HUGE difference an All-Pro center like Travis Frederick had on their OLine. Even moreso that any other lineman. One even pointed out how HE was what made everything work when they had the so-called best OLine in the NFL.

If the Rams think JPJ can be an All-Pro and don't have another player rated as highly, I think they should take him.
Agreed. A great center can be a big difference maker. Ragnow is in Detroit, Frederick was in Dallas, Humphrey is in KC.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
But can they sign both Shelton and Dotson? Plus, Powers Johnson could be a significant upgrade over Shelton.

Maybe free agency can address some of those defensive holes.

I have a very slight lean towards grabbing the best defender board. And all bets are off if Brock Bowers slides to #19. But a Jackon, Avila, Powers-Johnson, Dotson, Havenstein OLine could be great if McVay doesn't go back to being too pass happy.
Zac Robinson may look at Shelton as a cheap option that knows the offense and could help the Falcons linemen to learn it faster.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Doesn't have to be a 1st round center. Philly generally is called the best OL right now and Kelce was one of the best centers and he was a 6th round pick. Take the top 10 it's about half first rounders and a couple of them are in some estimations the weakest link of the line. Yeah a 1st round center would be a nice upgrade but we can say the same thing about just about every position group. CB, Edge, TE, S maybe even WR. Like everything this time of year it all comes down to what McSnead think the best upgrade is and how they have their draft board. The next 4 guys after JPJ are all big upgrades and won't be first rounders a couple might be 2nd rounders though.
No. It doesn't have to be a first round center. But if the Rams want a dominant one who looks to be a perfect fit in the blocking scheme like Jackson Powers-Johnson, it will probably have to be one.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. It doesn't have to be a first round center. But if the Rams want a dominant one who looks to be a perfect fit in the blocking scheme like Jackson Powers-Johnson, it will probably have to be one.
He could fit that, but he's not the only one who can vastly improve the OL at center and the others won't require a 1st round pick likely.

Memphis Ram

Legend
He could fit that, but he's not the only one who can vastly improve the OL at center and the others won't require a 1st round pick likely.
The same could be said for just about every other position in this draft.

But, just out of curiosity, who are the others centers in this draft class that fit the Rams blocking scheme and would vastly improve the OL at center? There couldn't be that many due to the overall numbers at the position alone.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The same could be said for just about every other position in this draft.

But, just out of curiosity, who are the others centers in this draft class that fit the Rams blocking scheme and would vastly improve the OL at center? There couldn't be that many due to the overall numbers at the position alone.
Zach Frazier- West Virginia he's ranked on most systems just behind JPJ. Every bit the run blocker and just a little bit behind in some pass blocking grades but doesn't get the press that JPJ does. Same height or close to it but about 15 lbs lighter which is still bigger than Shelton and Allen.

Sedrick Van Pran - Georgia Right there with Frazier and ahead on some peoples boards he was even neck and neck with JPJ until late in the season with JPJ started to get more publicity. Same size as Frazier also a likely 2nd round pick. Better pass blocker than the other 2 but not as much of a road grader, not saying he's not a good run blocker just not the plow the other guys can be. Faced some serious competition in the SEC as well. I've seen some people mocking/ranking him above JPJ as well. My personal favorite as well.

A couple guys that are likely 3rd-5th rounders that would be big upgrades from Shelton Beaux Limmer Arkansas, Drake Nugent Michigan and Andrew Raym Oklahoma I've even seen some talk that teams like OT Graham Barton as a C/G prospect not a tackle.

My point wasn't that JPJ isn't good and wouldn't be worth the pick it's that it doesn't have to be a 1st round pick to be a really good center and upgrade the OL. The best center in the game just retired after 12 years of great play. And he was a 6th round pick. Yes as you say that can apply to every position that's also the point we shouldn't lock into this guy has to be picked if we want to upgrade a certain position. We also don't know how McVay is going to address the OL moving forward. Was Avilla a one off or a sign of things to come? Only time will tell but yes JPJ is a very good prospect but there are a handful of potentially good centers in the draft.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Zach Frazier- West Virginia he's ranked on most systems just behind JPJ. Every bit the run blocker and just a little bit behind in some pass blocking grades but doesn't get the press that JPJ does. Same height or close to it but about 15 lbs lighter which is still bigger than Shelton and Allen.

Sedrick Van Pran - Georgia Right there with Frazier and ahead on some peoples boards he was even neck and neck with JPJ until late in the season with JPJ started to get more publicity. Same size as Frazier also a likely 2nd round pick. Better pass blocker than the other 2 but not as much of a road grader, not saying he's not a good run blocker just not the plow the other guys can be. Faced some serious competition in the SEC as well. I've seen some people mocking/ranking him above JPJ as well. My personal favorite as well.

A couple guys that are likely 3rd-5th rounders that would be big upgrades from Shelton Beaux Limmer Arkansas, Drake Nugent Michigan and Andrew Raym Oklahoma I've even seen some talk that teams like OT Graham Barton as a C/G prospect not a tackle.

My point wasn't that JPJ isn't good and wouldn't be worth the pick it's that it doesn't have to be a 1st round pick to be a really good center and upgrade the OL. The best center in the game just retired after 12 years of great play. And he was a 6th round pick. Yes as you say that can apply to every position that's also the point we shouldn't lock into this guy has to be picked if we want to upgrade a certain position. We also don't know how McVay is going to address the OL moving forward. Was Avilla a one off or a sign of things to come? Only time will tell but yes JPJ is a very good prospect but there are a handful of potentially good centers in the draft.

I'd feel better about Frazier if he didn't play in an offense that ran the football about 65% of the time and Van Pran looks to be a solid target. Graham Barton might be the second highest player but like you stated would be making a position switch. And even he might not make it out of the 1st round or the Rams 2nd round selection.

My concern now is that we may now just be poo pooing on Coleman Shelton who isn't a bad player. This would have to be the best center draft class in the history of drafts to have so many players that fit the Rams blocking scheme and would vastly improve the OLine. If I'm not mistaken, usually an average of about one or two ever amounts much of anything at all at the position.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd feel better about Frazier if he didn't play in an offense that ran the football about 65% of the time and Van Pran looks to be a solid target. Graham Barton might be the second highest player but like you stated would be making a position switch. And even he might not make it out of the 1st round or the Rams 2nd round selection.

My concern now is that we may now just be poo pooing on Coleman Shelton who isn't a bad player. This would have to be the best center draft class in the history of drafts to have so many players that fit the Rams blocking scheme and would vastly improve the OLine. If I'm not mistaken, usually an average of about one or two ever amounts much of anything at all at the position.
Shelton absolutely isn't a bad player. But just like Jackson if you want a great line you look to upgrade every spot if you can.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Shelton absolutely isn't a bad player. But just like Jackson if you want a great line you look to upgrade every spot if you can.
Of course. But are there really that many potential upgrades in this draft class?
Again, if so, this would probably be the best center draft class in the history of the draft.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course. But are there really that many potential upgrades in this draft class?
Again, if so, this would probably be the best center draft class in the history of the draft.
I think so I just gave a list of 5 or 6. And I think there are a couple others who could be too. It's a pretty good Center class.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't think we're getting Brock Bowers...but I wouldn't mind setting our sights on Ja'Tavion Sanders. He'd be the top tight end in a lot of classes; he just happens to be in the same class as one of the best all-around tight ends to come out in recent memory.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Here’s another player that has garnered my interest:
OT Christian Jones (texas)

I would like the Rams to figure out a way to re-sign Dotson, but that would almost certainly mean the end of Noteboom, and losing a good swing Tackle. Both Havs and Jackson missed games last season so having a decent backup who can play both Tackle spots would be wise—Jones has experience on both sides.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Here’s another player that has garnered my interest:
OT Christian Jones (texas)

I would like the Rams to figure out a way to re-sign Dotson, but that would almost certainly mean the end of Noteboom, and losing a good swing Tackle. Both Havs and Jackson missed games last season so having a decent backup who can play both Tackle spots would be wise—Jones has experience on both sides.
Jones looked really good at Senior Bowl practices.

Technically sound, with good footwork, hand-placement and movement skills. You could see it in drills; plus, the NFLN commentary and media reports were very complimentary. Looked like he made himself some $.

Don't know that he lasts until the 52nd overall pick.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Jones looked really good at Senior Bowl practices.

Technically sound, with good footwork, hand-placement and movement skills. You could see it in drills; plus, the NFLN commentary and media reports were very complimentary. Looked like he made himself some $.

Don't know that he lasts until the 52nd overall pick.

Wow, I didn’t think he was gonna go that high with so many Tackles getting press or being mocked ahead of him. I was hoping the Rams wouldn’t have to make a decision on jones until maybe their 3rd round comp pick.

There are just too many players I want the Rams to choose from with their first 3 picks. Funny thing is that Rams probably won’t pick ANY of them!

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I don't think we're getting Brock Bowers...but I wouldn't mind setting our sights on Ja'Tavion Sanders. He'd be the top tight end in a lot of classes; he just happens to be in the same class as one of the best all-around tight ends to come out in recent memory.
Yes, I'm a fan of Sanders too, just think we are unlikely to take him. With Higs still under contract and Allen showing pretty well last year, I can't see them prioritizing a TE in the 2nd.