You want no part of Gregg Williams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

willkner

UDFA
Saints fan that lives in STL now. I follow the Rams and are fired up that they got Jeff Fisher.

However, you want no part of Gregg Williams. His defenses in New Orleans have been terrible. And what he allowed to happen yesterday may be one of the most asinine series of play calls by a DC I have ever seen.

The Rams deserve better, I think they can get better. I think the Rams may have better personal than the Saints on D. Especially at linebacker, but Gregg Williams is nothing to get excited about believe me.

Yeah, he blitzes a lot, but we had very few sacks this year. Just look at what our defense has been ranked the last two seasons, and in the last two postseasons with the game on the line our D has collapsed.

End of Rant.

Anonymous

Rams fans are familiar with the Fisher/Williams defense from the 99 superbowl.

In New Orleans, they just don't have anyone on defense. I don;t know their defense by heart but according to sources it is:

Jordan Franklin Ellis Smith
'Shanle Vilma Dunbar
Harper Jenkins
Greer Porter

The DL, in itself, accoounted for 8 sacks in the regular season. Total.

In contrast, if the Rams only fielded a DL consisting of Hall, Robbins, Gibson, and Ah You, that group would have had 11 sacks.

What you saw, with New Orleans, was a defense without any horses.

superfan24

Starter
Yea I agree a bit with the OP. Never was too fond about Williams. Just didn't seem like the Saints D was doing too much to help their O win except that turnover filled year when they won the SB. Don't really like his constant blitzing as well. Our D in the 4-3 can get to the qb without blitzing every play. Would rather go with a talented/up and coming assistant.

Anonymous

superfan24 said:
Yea I agree a bit with the OP. Never was too fond about Williams. Just didn't seem like the Saints D was doing too much to help their O win except that turnover filled year when they won the SB. Don't really like his constant blitzing as well. Our D in the 4-3 can get to the qb without blitzing every play. Would rather go with a talented/up and coming assistant.

Last year that defense was ranked 4th in the league.

superfan24

Starter
zn said:
superfan24 said:

Last year that defense was ranked 4th in the league.

:boing:

willkner

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And the other two years he was 24 and 25.

Believe me if the Rams take him I'm fired up. Because, that means the Saints can go get someone new.

superfan24

Starter
willkner said:
And the other two years he was 24 and 25.

Believe me if the Rams take him I'm fired up. Because, that means the Saints can go get someone new.

Heard today on NFL countdown that Spags would be a strong possibility if Williams would leave. You guys would be in great hands then.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I have to agree here. Bringing Williams in will taint and cancel my excitement of hiring Fisher. ONE step forward, TWO steps back! WTF?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Ramhusker said:
I have to agree here. Bringing Williams in will taint and cancel my excitement of hiring Fisher. ONE step forward, TWO steps back! WTF?
I don't think I agree with that. Greg Williams definitely coached good defenses in the past, and I don't see why he couldn't again. The Rams really do have some pretty darn good building blocks on D, which is not something that NO really has at the moment (or at least to the extent that the Rams do). I don't think NO has the potential pass rushers that the Rams have on their D-line. That would have been very helpful yesterday, and a big reason why Smith was able to throw the ball so well. The Rams definitely need to find a DT who can get some push up the middle. With a good DT along with CL and Quinn, the defense could get a lot sacks from the line without having to blitz as much, which will definitely be an upgrade over the NO defense.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well, the players do have to tackle.

We could have Jim Johnson as DC and it wouldn't mean shit if the players don't tackle. I saw a lot of missed ones by the Saints yday, and last year against Seattle.

Or it could be that NFC West >>> New Orleans Saints.

Anonymous

brokeu91 said:
Ramhusker said:
I don't think I agree with that. Greg Williams definitely coached good defenses in the past, and I don't see why he couldn't again. The Rams really do have some pretty darn good building blocks on D, which is not something that NO really has at the moment (or at least to the extent that the Rams do). I don't think NO has the potential pass rushers that the Rams have on their D-line. That would have been very helpful yesterday, and a big reason why Smith was able to throw the ball so well. The Rams definitely need to find a DT who can get some push up the middle. With a good DT along with CL and Quinn, the defense could get a lot sacks from the line without having to blitz as much, which will definitely be an upgrade over the NO defense.

Yeah...again, the N.O. DL combined this season for 8 sacks.

I hope Spags doesn't go there. He won't have much to work with.

Wms. will have more to work with in St.L

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
As long we bring in someone that runs a 4-3 then all is good I could honestly say we have better players on D then the Saints do

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Williams has always been a boom or bust coordinator it seams. His defenses are always in the top third or bottom third.

Im torn on him. I love the pressure he brings. I hate sitting back in coverage and waiting for the other team to pick us apart. However his lack of constancy worries me.

He is the best DC on the market tho(Outside of Spags who isnt an option)

steferfootball

Starter
libertadrocks said:
I kinda wish it were an option. I mean he has many of his people in place already.

I'm not a big fan of Gregg Williams, but whatever. Perhaps a new face will make the difference.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
steferfootball said:
libertadrocks said:
I kinda wish it were an option. I mean he has many of his people in place already.

I'm not a big fan of Gregg Williams, but whatever. Perhaps a new face will make the difference.
Maybe Fisher's influence will make the difference.

Gotta say, in NO, offense is king. Martz made sure the GSOT's best pieces stayed, but we couldn't afford to keep both Fletcher and Little. I wonder if Payton is headed down the same path.

Anonymous

libertadrocks said:
Williams has always been a boom or bust coordinator it seams. His defenses are always in the top third or bottom third.

Im torn on him. I love the pressure he brings. I hate sitting back in coverage and waiting for the other team to pick us apart. However his lack of constancy worries me.

Not always. In 2000, in Tenn,, defense first in yards and 4th in points. Then it was all boom or boom. But...he had players. Unlike in N.O.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
zn said:
libertadrocks said:

Not always. In 2000, in Tenn,, defense first in yards and 4th in points. Then it was all boom or boom. But...he had players. Unlike in N.O.

On a seasons basis tho.

From 2000 - Present, his defense only finished in the 11-20 range once as a DC. It was all top 10 or bottom of the league. More good than bad tho.

His record on defense was the same as a head coach too. He was the HC of the Bills between 2001-2003. He had 2 finishes worse than 25th in the league and 1 in the top 5.

If we were to hire Shotty as OC we wouldnt be able to afford a bottom barrel D. We need at least average. IMO. Our offense, while consistent, wont be explosive enough to put up enough points to be competitive. The two coordinator may not be complementary to one another.

Anonymous

libertadrocks said:
zn said:
libertadrocks said:

On a seasons basis tho.

From 2000 - Present, his defense only finished in the 11-20 range once as a DC. It was all top 10 or bottom of the league. More good than bad tho.

His record on defense was the same as a head coach too. He was the HC of the Bills between 2001-2003. He had 2 finishes worse than 25th in the league and 1 in the top 5.

If we were to hire Shotty as OC we wouldnt be able to afford a bottom barrel D. We need at least average. IMO. Our offense, while consistent, wont be explosive enough to put up enough points to be competitive. The two coordinator may not be complementary to one another.

No that was simply an *example*. Not a "one season basis."

As for the rest of the post, it is just based on assumptions I don't share and I don;t think are valid.

When G.W has players his defenses are good. When not, not. You just assume "not" in general. I don't agree with that assumption and so don't agree with the post.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
libertadrocks said:
zn said:
libertadrocks said:

On a seasons basis tho.

No that was simply an *example*. Not a "one season basis."

As for the rest of the post, it is just based on assumptions I don't share and I don;t think are valid.

When G.W has players his defenses are good. When not, not. You just assume "not" in general. I don't agree with that assumption and so don't agree with the post.
I think you misunderstood. He was saying that over the course of several seasons, GW has been boom or bust on defense. Which is more or less true. It's his motto, after all, to "live by the blitz, die by the blitz." Obviously he's going to do better with players, as would most coordinators, so it's more a question of whether or not his defense changes much on the basis of personnel. As his overall record indicates (rankings), it really doesn't.

Like Libertad, I'm okay with the decision of bringing him in (if that's indeed the decision). He's aggressive and his defenses have been pretty opportunistic. You see a lot of big plays, and because of that, you often see some big gainers on offense too. The whole thing is a gamble, but it pays off quite a bit. Another point I agree with from Libertad is that it may not be a good complementary pairing of Schott and Williams. With Williams you'd like to have an offense that can get ahead early (and stay ahead) so that Williams' defense can tee off and run more blitzes.

I dunno. I guess we'll see. Lots of moving parts to this.