You think you're so big?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Think again.

<a class="postlink" href="http://htwins.net/scale2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://htwins.net/scale2/</a>

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know, man. That stuff always fascinates me. I went through that presentation a couple of times because I couldn't quite put it into perspective. So many life-forms here, and so many galaxies out there. It blows my mind. And at the same time, it really makes you realize how small we are, relatively speaking.

And yet, we all feel so very important don't we. lol.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am amazed we have the ability to know so much about deep space.

At the same time, I suppose, we know so little.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
This is awesome. Take what you will from something amazing like this. Me: Thats a whole lot of space for just the Earth to see it. People are hell bent on believing that this little unseen speck of sand we call earth is the only harbor for life, well get real.....The proof is in the pudding, here we are living and breathing. They are out there too, many of them.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
biggame1190 said:
This is awesome. Take what you will from something amazing like this. Me: Thats a whole lot of space for just the Earth to see it. People are hell bent on believing that this little unseen speck of sand we call earth is the only harbor for life, well get real.....The proof is in the pudding, here we are living and breathing. They are out there too, many of them.
Oh for sure. I refuse to believe that a universe as vast (infinite, actually) as this only holds one planet with one life-form. Stephen Hawking has some good documentaries on Netflix if you have it. He maintains that life doesn't have to be carbon based, and it doesn't have to live in what we think is a sustainable environment. We have all this technology looking for a planet that's similar to ours, and that is a comparable distance from its own "sun" like ours, but that's not necessarily what another life form might need to live.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
X said:
biggame1190 said:
Oh for sure. I refuse to believe that a universe as vast (infinite, actually) as this only holds one planet with one life-form. Stephen Hawking has some good documentaries on Netflix if you have it. He maintains that life doesn't have to be carbon based, and it doesn't have to live in what we think is a sustainable environment. We have all this technology looking for a planet that's similar to ours, and that is a comparable distance from its own "sun" like ours, but that's not necessarily what another life form might need to live.
Very true. The reason that many think it needs to be carbon based is because of the atomic properties of carbon itself. I have a chemistry and biology degree, and did organometallic chemistry research for three years, so this kind of stuff fascinates me. Carbon is usually thought to be the best chemical because it's chemical reactions are fairly stable (as opposed to other atoms) and because it has four potential covalent bonds (and others that are too complicated to discuss here) it can be put into a different array of chemicals that can be radically different in shape, size, stability, etc. This would allow an organism to have a vast amount of different molecules to utilize in order to live. Water is needed here because it's sort of the stuff that allows these chemicals to bounce into eachother and set up environments in which you can isolate an internal core (like the inside of a cell) from the outside (like the environment) using carbon based chemicals.

However, all of this is true in an oxygenizing atmosphere in our temperature range, but does it really need to be so throughout the galaxy and indeed the universe? What if we were in a much colder climate, without oxygen (which just loves to interfere with chemical making) that was rich in silicon? Silicon could then become a fairly good atom to make like around. Albeit, it would not grow/evolve at nearly the rate it does here, but why would it have to? You could find life forms that are radically different than our own, but living just the same.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
brokeu91 said:
X said:
biggame1190 said:
Very true. The reason that many think it needs to be carbon based is because of the atomic properties of carbon itself. I have a chemistry and biology degree, and did organometallic chemistry research for three years, so this kind of stuff fascinates me. Carbon is usually thought to be the best chemical because it's chemical reactions are fairly stable (as opposed to other atoms) and because it has four potential covalent bonds (and others that are too complicated to discuss here) it can be put into a different array of chemicals that can be radically different in shape, size, stability, etc. This would allow an organism to have a vast amount of different molecules to utilize in order to live. Water is needed here because it's sort of the stuff that allows these chemicals to bounce into eachother and set up environments in which you can isolate an internal core (like the inside of a cell) from the outside (like the environment) using carbon based chemicals.

However, all of this is true in an oxygenizing atmosphere in our temperature range, but does it really need to be so throughout the galaxy and indeed the universe? What if we were in a much colder climate, without oxygen (which just loves to interfere with chemical making) that was rich in silicon? Silicon could then become a fairly good atom to make like around. Albeit, it would not grow/evolve at nearly the rate it does here, but why would it have to? You could find life forms that are radically different than our own, but living just the same.
Silicon is exactly the element he cited when talking about other lifeforms. Though, carbon is vastly more abundant in the universe and is more reactive than silicon, like you said. There just has to be more out there, and I can't wait to find out. Just hope it's before my time here is done.

I mean, it wasn't until recently that we discovered that there is indeed life in the deepest part of the ocean (7 miles down), in an environment that is so cold, and has SO much pressure, that it was previously thought to be uninhabitable. And that's just here. We can't yet check the oceans on Titan or anything, and there's a vast amount of water hidden below the surface, as well as environmental conditions that produce rain and snow. Problem being all the methane of course, but still. Lotta stuff out there I hope we explore someday.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
X said:
brokeu91 said:
X said:
biggame1190 said:

Silicon is exactly the element he cited when talking about other lifeforms. Though, carbon is vastly more abundant in the universe and is more reactive than silicon, like you said. There just has to be more out there, and I can't wait to find out. Just hope it's before my time here is done.

I mean, it wasn't until recently that we discovered that there is indeed life in the deepest part of the ocean (7 miles down), in an environment that is so cold, and has SO much pressure, that it was previously thought to be uninhabitable. And that's just here. We can't yet check the oceans on Titan or anything, and there's a vast amount of water hidden below the surface, as well as environmental conditions that produce rain and snow. Problem being all the methane of course, but still. Lotta stuff out there I hope we explore someday.

My head threatens to explode when I try to fathom the heavens!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah it always struck me as us being awfully big headed to think that we're the only life form out there in the vastness that is the universe. Life is out there in some way, shape, or form. I just wish that if there was some super intelligent life form out there that could slip into our atmosphere, it would stop picking up hillbillies from which to sample OUR life form. Then again, if they are looking to take us over, maybe thinking that is a good sample of our intelligence level isn't such a bad thing.

No offense to you and your banjo pickin' buddies there Thor. :razzed:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Astronomers recently said its believed that 6% of all red dwarfs (by far the most abundant stars in the universe) have earth like planets in their habitable zone. Meaning statistics says there should be a habitable planet as close as 13 light years away. The closest confirmed earth like planet is just over 20 light years away. That planet is in a system with two suns which would make for an awesome sunset.

Being in a system with a red star would be pretty cool too, daytime in theory would have a red tint it. So life would be adapted to that type of environment. Pretty exciting stuff. The Kepler Telescope is finding hundreds of planets a day, and its only searching a fraction of a percent of the universe. There's likely thousands even millions, of planets with the ability for life. Some are bound to have intelligent life on it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeHR--kC_Vw[/youtube]

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Oh shit Paul....

Don't get me started on Zecharia Sitchin. I've read many of his books. Fascinating interpretations and extremely believable to me.

I'll just say that I truly believe that life was "seeded" here on Earth just as it's been seeded throughout the ENTIRE Universe.