Yes, the Rams may be in the QB draft market (no tanking required)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Stafford doesn't sound like he is going away anytime soon. He said he loves playing football and he loves playing for the Rams. But it's okay to draft a QB and let him sit and learn for a season or two. I can see that happening.
It might not be up to him, his body has endured quite a beating over the years, it's not like Tom Brady, who was hardly hit. I believe Stafford wants to keep playing, but his body might tell him otherwise.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Really not sure McVay wants to tutor a rookie QB. Seems like the plan is Wentz after Stafford hangs it up. Hopefully Stafford retires after this season.

You WANT Wentz over Stafford? I’m critical of Stafford but DAMN that’s a crazy take.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Was really looking forward to seeing McCarthy this weekend against a quality opponent. Unfortunately, the game plan was run only. Dude didn't have a pass ATTEMPT in the 2nd half. So much for scouting.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I'd love to have a young future franchise QB waiting in the wings, but IMO it feels like a luxury we can't afford-- if the Rams are serious about going "all in" for 2024 and/or 2025.

The 2021 roster was absolutely stacked-- not just the Big 3 of AD, MS, and CK, but also Ramsey, Floyd, OBJ, Big Whit, and Von Miller, not ti mention a ton of solid players like Darious Williams and Gaines and A'Shawn Robinson, etc. The talent level in 2021 was far beyond what it is now.

IMO, the only way we get enough talent to "load up" again in 2024 is to use every available resource. We've got some great pieces to work with (especially with the Big 3 and an awesome rookie class), but ALL the roster holes need to be filled if there's a chance for another Ring.

Just my 2 cents
I certainly understand that line of thinking. However, a rookie QB doesn't break the bank so we'd have cap left. I look at it as even if we have all the pieces, Stafford can and will probably get injured, poor guy just does. Better to have someone waiting in the wings that has major talent. Stafford is no spring chicken so I'd day if we happen to pick high enough, you take the QB. Hell, I can't get the horror of Rypien out if my skull. We'll see what route the Rams eventually take but right now, looks like we are picking too high for a QB pick.

Memphis Ram

Legend
You WANT Wentz over Stafford? I’m critical of Stafford but DAMN that’s a crazy take.
Tumak61 only guessed that Wentz could be the plan after Stafford retired.

But the more I think about it, I'm not so sure the take is really that crazy for 2024, anyway.

If given the choice between a 36-year Matthew Stafford and his bloated contract ($50 million average cap number, the next 3 seasons) VS. Carson Wentz along with lets say an extra 2024 2nd & 6th round selection and a conditional 2025 selection (potential Stafford trade using the Aaron Rodgers trade example) I think I'd rather have Wentz and the picks.

Stafford had a magical year which led to a Super Bowl, but since then he's just been average.

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I certainly understand that line of thinking. However, a rookie QB doesn't break the bank so we'd have cap left. I look at it as even if we have all the pieces, Stafford can and will probably get injured, poor guy just does. Better to have someone waiting in the wings that has major talent. Stafford is no spring chicken so I'd day if we happen to pick high enough, you take the QB. Hell, I can't get the horror of Rypien out if my skull. We'll see what route the Rams eventually take but right now, looks like we are picking too high for a QB pick.
I feel a QB would be a luxury pick next year. Sure, we are going to need one soon but I'd concentrate on keeping Wentz as a backup next season. The QB list coming out next year could be pretty close to this year's list by the end of another season. I think we concentrate on filling all the other holes this draft and FA. Stafford may play two more seasons. Of course, it's all a crap shoot because these are all kids in the draft. No matter how big, strong, and fast they are, they are still kids.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Alt seems like the real deal. He'd be my choice in round 1. Look for your QB in the 2nd or 3rd. (especially if someone will give us an extra pick or 2 for dropping down...). A good receiver make a mediocre QB look much better than he really is and lately receivers have made a jump in importance. Ceedee Lamb makes Dak look better than he is, Shanahan has his receivers making Purdy seem better than his 256th draft slot, McClarin makes Howell actually seem like a vilable option. Waddle and Hill makes Tua a decent QB. I'd be in favor of getting someone w/ a bit of size sitting behind Stafford learning the ropes. (instead of the no-show munchkin we have now....).

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
I don't think Nix last till the 2nd round. Too many teams with bad QB's will scoop him up if he's available. He's been one of the best pro ready prospects, has legs, and doesn't get rattled easily when he does make a mistake.
Agreed. Nix is always about the next play. He finds a way to elevate the team with his confidence. I think he fits into a McVay offense perfectly, and adds his running ability to that game.
But then, I'm just an Oregon Ducks homer, too.
ducks run onto field.jpg

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Agreed. Nix is always about the next play. He finds a way to elevate the team with his confidence. I think he fits into a McVay offense perfectly, and adds his running ability to that game.
But then, I'm just an Oregon Ducks homer, too.
View attachment 62406

Kids the real deal. But he would need to go to the right team.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Tumak61 only guessed that Wentz could be the plan after Stafford retired.

But the more I think about it, I'm not so sure the take is really that crazy for 2024, anyway.

If given the choice between a 36-year Matthew Stafford and his bloated contract ($50 million average cap number, the next 3 seasons) VS. Carson Wentz along with lets say an extra 2024 2nd & 6th round selection and a conditional 2025 selection (potential Stafford trade using the Aaron Rodgers trade example) I think I'd rather have Wentz and the picks.

Stafford had a magical year which led to a Super Bowl, but since then he's just been average.

Given Staffords play the last two years, nobody is giving a second for him

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I feel a QB would be a luxury pick next year. Sure, we are going to need one soon but I'd concentrate on keeping Wentz as a backup next season. The QB list coming out next year could be pretty close to this year's list by the end of another season. I think we concentrate on filling all the other holes this draft and FA. Stafford may play two more seasons. Of course, it's all a crap shoot because these are all kids in the draft. No matter how big, strong, and fast they are, they are still kids.
Can't say it's luxury if we pick high. At the rate the Rams are going, Rd 2 may be appropriate to draft a QB, but there are just too many variables to see how it pans out. I only say go after a QB if we are picking really high. No matter what type of talent a team has, QB is by far the most important piece to having a chance at a championship.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The biggest problem with picking a QB high in the draft is that most of them don't work out and is a wasted draft pick and a very high one at that. People talk about a QB "falling" to the Rams but my problem with that is that 20 or 30 teams already passed on that player. I would hate to see that happen in the late 1st or early 2nd round when we could have gotten a difference-maker.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
The thing is only a few teams are in need of a QB. If Nix is available in the 3rd or late in the 2nd if the Rams trade up, I think he would be worth the risk. Of course, as we all know it is possible that the Rams fill one of their primary needs in free agency.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing is only a few teams are in need of a QB. If Nix is available in the 3rd or late in the 2nd if the Rams trade up, I think he would be worth the risk. Of course, as we all know it is possible that the Rams fill one of their primary needs in free agency.
I'd say teams in need of a QB:
Jets, Patriots, Raiders, Giants, Vikings, Bears, Falcons & Seahawks
Then the "may be" crowd:
Steelers, Browns, Titans, Broncos, Washington, Packers, Saints, Bucs

Likely the Rams belong in the 2nd group, but could see them in the first if the right guy slipped