Year three leading McVay’s offense, Goff has his goals for OTAs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.therams.com/news/holy-s...f-available-year-three-leading-mcvay-s-offens

“Holy smokes we’ve got a lot of stuff available.” Year three leading McVay’s offense, Goff has his goals for OTAs

In his third round of OTAs as the leader of the Los Angeles offense, quarterback Jared Goff has been reminded just how thick head coach Sean McVay’s playbook is.

“You forget how much offense we actually have because weekly it’s so narrow and so focused, and then you come back to this period and it’s like holy smokes we’ve got a lot of stuff available,” Goff said following Day 1 going against the defense.

“It’s good though, it’s good to kind of work out and find out what we like, try different things.”

Different things that sometimes work and sometimes don’t, and do or do not end up on the sidelines in McVay’s bag of tricks on Sundays. Goff stood at the podium at the team’s facility in Thousand, Oaks, Calif. and, without going into specifics, recounted a few plays from the formative OTAs period that wound up working on gameday.

Now in preparation for year four, OTAs represent the chance for the head coach and quarterback to add layers to the league’s No. 2 offense in 2018. And the process is becoming easier for Goff.

“It’s very seamless now to where we can just kind of add little words, little nuances and change things at the line of scrimmage more often. I feel like I’m starting to understand it fully even more,” Goff said.

A greater understanding of McVay’s offense isn’t the be-all, end-all for Goff in the offseason’s first half. An improved completion percentage for the fourth-consecutive year is a personal goal that came to mind for the 24-year-old QB, and with training camp just over two months out, getting through progressions more quickly is the first step.

“I talk about any way to get completions and that’s really a big one, working through a little bit quicker. And continuing to fully understand each concept and understand what we are trying to get done in every play,” Goff said. “That all will lead to more completions and more yards.”

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
That's the one area that we really do need to see improvement. Speed through progressions....which should lead to higher completion percentage. Two birds, one ball.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
He's made a significant jump in command of the offense each year. No reason to expect anything different now. Hopefully this is the year he can master multiple formations.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
What exactly do you mean by that?

Just little things like getting the right protections, shifts and audibles. If he can extend what he does in 11 personnel to the other packages they run, look out!
I remember in 2016 when he had no hard count and didn't make many adjustments at all. Now he's top 5 at the LOS IMO. I'm sure McVay added a ton, but Jared has a great feel for the position. I keep forgetting he's 24! Old man Wentz is already twice broken and Goff is just getting warmed up.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Just little things like getting the right protections, shifts and audibles. If he can extend what he does in 11 personnel to the other packages they run, look out!
I remember in 2016 when he had no hard count and didn't make many adjustments at all. Now he's top 5 at the LOS IMO. I'm sure McVay added a ton, but Jared has a great feel for the position. I keep forgetting he's 24! Old man Wentz is already twice broken and Goff is just getting warmed up.

I think 11 personnel was more about wanting Kupp, Cooks, and Woods on the field together rather than any potential limitations of Goff.

I would expect them to lean on 11 personnel heavily next year again, but not as heavy.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think 11 personnel was more about wanting Kupp, Cooks, and Woods on the field together rather than any potential limitations of Goff.

I would expect them to lean on 11 personnel heavily next year again, but not as heavy.

Would be nice to use 1-2 times differ formations per Q, to keep the Def off balance vs. knowing were in 11's all the time. Change formation and catch the Def not getting set and we take advantage etc.

fearsomefour

Legend
That comes with getting through progressions quicker, no?
Generally, not always.
I'm still being bitter and scarky about the Super Bowl. Predetermined pick routes to Cooks they ran all year, ball out late....punt.
I'm just being a moody bit**.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
That's the one area that we really do need to see improvement. Speed through progressions....which should lead to higher completion percentage. Two birds, one ball.

Also improving the improvisational aspect of the offense when the play isn't developing, doesn't necessarily have to be running like Wentz and read option QBs. WRs like Kupp adjusting the route to bail the QB out of a pickle does wonders too.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Goff tends to struggle a bit with new things. So I think there will be some settling in with him being the primary on the protections and teams are going to try to take advantage early in the season.

That said, I fully expect continued growth and another outstanding season for our young QB.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Generally, not always.
I'm still being bitter and scarky about the Super Bowl. Predetermined pick routes to Cooks they ran all year, ball out late....punt.
I'm just being a moody bit**.
Wasn't that in part or maybe more on McVay? I expected more new plays, or variations on existing ones. I know Gurley was not at full speed, we were missing Kupp, and there were problems with the line--- but nothing we ran fooled New England.

TexasRam

Legend
On a side note, i rewatched the 2018 highlights recently.

I’m convinced no one throws a better more accurate 15-20 yard deep in route, Deep out route or deep slant than Jared.

People may not realize how many critical passes Jared made last year with these routes but i’m convinced it’s the bread and butter of our offensive success.

It’s as close to unstoppable as it gets.

fearsomefour

Legend

I’m convinced no one throws a better more accurate 15-20 yard deep in route, Deep out route or deep slant than Jared.

People may not realize how many critical passes Jared made last year with these routes but i’m convinced it’s the bread and butter of our offensive success.

It is funny how certain guys excel at specific things.
Bulger had some holes in his game but threw maybe the best intermediate cross I've ever seen.

fearsomefour

Legend

Well said.
He can throw some beautiful passes.
Even in his rookie year struggles there were some throws that just made you say "wow".....you could see it. Perfect touch and timing on the out. Even well covered it's not being stopped.

fearsomefour

Legend
Wasn't that in part or maybe more on McVay? I expected more new plays, or variations on existing ones. I know Gurley was not at full speed, we were missing Kupp, and there were problems with the line--- but nothing we ran fooled New England.
A mix probably.
There were several instances of third and short where they ran that little pick out....basically can't be covered without interfering. NE did not interfere and the play was there to do what it is designed to do....pick up 4 yards or so. The throw was just late....:it was strange.
He's a young guy. He learned from it I'm sure.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

I agree. And, He has a great deep ball, too---as we saw, too.