yahoo.com: Dream team? Rams load up to win a Super Bowl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
https://sports.yahoo.com/2018-nfl-preview-dream-team-rams-load-win-super-bowl-133348251.html

2018 NFL Preview: Dream team? Rams load up to win a Super Bowl
bd230b70-de96-11e6-888b-f95145d40ae2_512-7-.png.cf.jpg

Frank Schwab
Yahoo SportsJul 31, 2018 6:33

It’s amazing how one throwaway comment from Vince Young stuck.

The 2011 Philadelphia Eagles spent big in free agency, Young called them a “dream team,” and every team from now on that gets aggressive in the offseason gets that label. Go search how many articles on the 2018 Los Angeles Rams use the term “dream team.”

Of course, those Eagles flopped so every future “dream team” will be met with skepticism. But good luck finding a major flaw for these Rams on paper.

The Rams had a remarkable 2017 season. Todd Gurley, Aaron Donald and Sean McVay swept the offensive, defensive and coach of the year awards. Jared Goff, freed from a horrendous coaching staff, blossomed. The Rams were a strong team across the board. Even though the season ended with a playoff upset to the Atlanta Falcons, it was a fine season.

And if the Rams decided to run it back with basically the same young core, that would have been fine. That’s what most teams would have done. Instead, the Rams had one of the most aggressive offseasons in history.

They traded for cornerback Marcus Peters. Then they traded for cornerback Aqib Talib. That’s seven Pro Bowls combined. They traded for receiver Brandin Cooks, who has three straight 1,000-yard seasons. And then they signed defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh to a one-year, $14 million contract. Five more Pro Bowls.

Dream team it is.

Will it work? I’m not going to take the example of one Eagles team that failed and say it’s a bad idea to add four blue-chip players. Football Perspective found that the last team to add four players with a career approximate value of 12 or more (approximate value is a stat used by Pro-Football-Reference, like WAR for baseball) was the 1994 San Francisco 49ers. They won a Super Bowl. Another good example of a team hitting free agency hard and having it pay off is the Denver Broncos, who spent big under general manager John Elway and won four division titles and a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning. The Seattle Seahawks, like the Rams with Goff, took advantage of Russell Wilson’s rookie contract and loaded up for two straight Super Bowl appearances and one title.

Just because the Eagles failed doesn’t mean spending big in free agency is a bad thing. It doesn’t guarantee the Rams a Super Bowl, but it’s not accurate to invoke the 2011 Eagles, derisively stick “dream team” to them and drop the mic. The Rams have played this the right way: They saw an opportunity to chase a Super Bowl, and they didn’t wait to see what happened. They attacked.

Maybe it doesn’t work out. The Rams had a tremendous amount of injury luck last season and that might not repeat. Their schedule is tougher. Goff could regress after a tremendous breakout, and it’ll be hard for Gurley to repeat as well. Regression could even hit McVay, especially since the league had an offseason to scout his work with the Rams. The Aaron Donald holdout is troubling, and there’s no guarantee all the shiny new pieces fit. The Rams took on a few players who aren’t the easiest to deal with in the locker room.

If the Rams fail, it won’t be because they had a bad plan and it definitely won’t be from lack of trying. They’ve done everything they possibly could to maximize their chances of winning a championship, and that’s all you can do. The results will be fascinating to watch.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
2011 Eagles offseason:
Signed- Nmandi Asomugha, Cullen Jenkins, Jason Babin, Johnny Lee Higgins, Dominque Rodgers Cromartie, Donald Brown, Donald Lee, Steve Smith and Vince Young.

Not sure who decided on the dream team nickname. But that ain't one. DRC is the only one still playing and he's had an average career so far.

2018 Rams offseason:
Signed- Ndamukong Suh, Sam Shields, Ramik Wilson.
Traded for: Aqib Talib, Marcus Peters, Brandin Cooks.

Multiple probowls, long sustaining careers and proven veteran presence. This is a completely different situation. Maybe that's why they called it a dream.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Yeah, the whole Juan Castillo thing was a big part in setting the Eagles up to be a cluster foo foo, imo.

I mean, the Rams brought in players on D to play for legendary Wade Phillips. The Eagles promoted/transferred Juan Castillo from Offensive Line Coach to Defensive Coordinator. He hadn't coached anything on defense in over 20 years and that was at the high school level. He'd never been an NFL coordinator on either side of the ball or on ST's. No NFL defensive coaching experience. Maybe that makes sense to some of you.

Edit: word(s)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure who decided on the dream team nickname.

who else, vince young.

and he was the back up qb. the media ran with it. if he could play as well as he mouthed off he would have been in the hof.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
:mrburnsevil: I'm excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flint

Pro Bowler
The Rams lost to the eventual champ Eagles and the Vikings and they laid an egg against the Falcons so they improve the secondary and the d line. I think this team has a better chance against the top teams in the nfc.
Mcvay’s offense has been around for a while, he’s doing the same things that he did in Washington. I don’t think there’s an easy way to attack it, plus the TE has been a much bigger part of his previous offenses which leads me to believe he has a few more tricks up his sleeve.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
:mrburnsevil: I'm excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think most of us haven't been this excited since 2000 when we came off the Superbowl win. Going into last season all I was looking for was improvement from Goff and the offense. I just wanted some hope for the future. Its crazy how far we've come. My expectations are sky high. Anything less than a NFC title appearance won't satisfy me. And that is a good thing.