X, Y and Z receivers: Does this matter for 2014 draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I have wanted Watkins for six months now, and I see the errors of my way. I am a slower learner than I imagined--or not, we will find out soon.

Prometheus Faulk from Post D said the stuff about the X,Y and Z Wr's that we have already
(at the bottom)--- and I agree. So, for me getting Watkins is like getting Clowney. It may not maximize our roster like Mike Evans would. We have Long and Quinn, and we still need some more pieces---so why draft Clowney, unless he is HOF material (which on talent, he is). So, I want to pass on Clowney. And, I thnk I want to pass on Watkins, too. We have Stedman and Tavon who I think will both be part of our big success in 2014-2016. So, maybe Evans type of guy --the X reciever is how we should go. Or not draft a WR until the 3rd

Quick story about the 2013 draft and me: I live in Europe, so I have to wait until the next morning for the draft results. So, I told my buddy in France I am happy with almost any player, except Tavon Austin and ALec Ogletree ; Imagine my surprise when I saw the Rams traded a 2nd rounder for Tavon. I did an about face, realizing the staff had a plan for Tavon, and that they must know more about football than me (re: Alec). Turns out the staff really didn't have a plan for Tavon. He is the #1 biggest
draft surprise of Jeff Fisher's career, in my opinion.

Prometheus Faulk from Post D thinks about (Wr's) this way:

X receiver - big guy, catches short and intermediate passes and breaks tackles. Out muscles guys in short yardage. Wins the jump ball fades in the end zone (Quick and Britt types).

Y receiver - slot guy (Austin has this one nailed down, could be backed up by Bailey or Givens)

Z receiver - burner, rips the top open or at least has the ability to get chunk yardage with speed and or guile. (Givens, Bailey, Watkins, IMO OBJ).

Probably oversimplifying and could be wrong, but that's what I've seen.

V3

Hall of Fame
I think Jrry has been saying that for a while and I know I've been in the same camp. I like Watkins a lot and think he will be very good but he just wouldn't help the Rams like a player similar to Evans if he turns out the way I think he'll be. His arm length, height, and vertical are amazing. Now add in his strength, hands, and aggressive nature and you have a player that will come down with the ball more often than not. He may not be the best route runner but who cares if all you have to do is just throw it up for him. He's what the Rams were hoping Quick would be but IMO that's not going to happen. I'll also add that Evans is relatively new to being a WR and you saw what he did. Just imagine once he learns the nuances.

This is why lately I've been advocating trading down to 6 if possible and taking Evans there.

Last edited:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I rather have Austin as the Z and Bailey in the slot at this point.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Id be very happy with a trade down from 2 draft the best olineman there hopfully matthews then use that pick or picks we aquired to trade up from 13 and land Evans. Thats the perfect first round for me.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The NFL reality is there is no designated "X, Y, and Z guys". Plays are designed for specific WRs as the primary, secondory, etc options. It may be the guy in the slot, may be an outside guy playing slot...it all just depends on the play.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
At this point we don't know what we have in Austin. It's the responsibility of the coaching staff to make the guy more than a slot (Y) receiver though - otherwise he was WAY over-drafted. That said, I think he's a Z. Or at least he should be used as a Z.

I didn't agree with the pick (that high) last year though so my opinion is bias in that regard.

Also, this X,Y,Z analysis is assuming we're running some sort of standard, understandable offense. I didn't see much of anything approaching an "identity" last year on offense...

That said there were mitigating factors, like an oft-injured OL and inconsistent QB play.

This is why I don't think we should draft a WR high (although I like both Watkins and Evans); we don't know what we have with our current (highly drafted) WR's at this point. It's easy to say they "suck" and that they "drop passes" but the reality is much more complicated. A lot of the drops were in traffic. A lot of the drops were due - in part - to bad ball placement because the QB was forced off is spot.

V3

Hall of Fame
Id be very happy with a trade down from 2 draft the best olineman there hopfully matthews then use that pick or picks we aquired to trade up from 13 and land Evans. Thats the perfect first round for me.

That's the worst 2nd round for me, though. I don't like the Rams trading up at the top in this draft. It really hurt us last year.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
With that definition, couldn't you include Cook in the X type category? He isn't technically a receiver but might as well be.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
That's the worst 2nd round for me, though. I don't like the Rams trading up at the top in this draft. It really hurt us last year.

Well hopfully we would still hold on to our second rounder and just trade the picks we aquired from trading down from 2

V3

Hall of Fame
Well hopfully we would still hold on to our second rounder and just trade the picks we aquired from trading down from 2

I could do that if I knew we got at least another second from a trade down at 2 and I knew Evans would be there for our second pick where we trade up. I worry about 7, though. I would have bet a large sum that TB wanted Evans desperately until I heard that they are wanting to trade their QB. Now I don't know.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I could do that if I knew we got at least another second from a trade down at 2 and I knew Evans would be there for our second pick where we trade up. I worry about 7, though. I would have bet a large sum that TB wanted Evans desperately until I heard that they are wanting to trade their QB. Now I don't know.

Tampa will draft manziel if hes there.

iced

been sayin' it for awhile...dont rule tampa out of qb

V3

Hall of Fame
Tampa will draft manziel if hes there.

I don't think he will be(who knows?). If he's not, do you still think they'll take a QB or wait till the second tier QB's? What if Maziel is gone before they pick and they do take Evans, then what?

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I think Manziel or Bortles one of the 2 will be there and I think they like them both.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm about to nitpick but technically, the Y is the Tight End. The Slot is usually classified as the S. But I guess, to be fair, it depends on the coach.

The Z always lines up on the same side of the LOS as the Y(TE) when the TE is on the field. The X is typically considered the #1 WR because he is alone on his side of the field(on an island) when the team is in 11 and 21 personnel. But a lot of teams have changed and now just line WRs up most often based on the side of the field(LWR vs. RWR) instead of the personnel package.

wrstdude

Rookie
I'm about to nitpick but technically, the Y is the Tight End. The Slot is usually classified as the S. But I guess, to be fair, it depends on the coach.

The Z always lines up on the same side of the LOS as the Y(TE) when the TE is on the field. The X is typically considered the #1 WR because he is alone on his side of the field(on an island) when the team is in 11 and 21 personnel. But a lot of teams have changed and now just line WRs up most often based on the side of the field(LWR vs. RWR) instead of the personnel package.

Beat me to it. Y is usually the TE.