X is the man

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman

Yep -X- is clearly awesome. I visited StLToday.com Rams Talk for the first time in... well... geez, a really long time... months? So I followed the link, read the post. The OP says we should "Expect a slow start Sunday" because Fisher is soft on the Rams players. Hmmm, a dubious claim at best. The negativism, the truthiness, I didn't miss it, I assure you of that.

It does beg the question, tho. Is ROD better because the people are just better? That is, polite, reasonable and informed fans. Or is it better because ROD is so well moderated? I'm all for chasing off folks who are clearly trolls, but are we chasing off fellow fans with legitimate questions / concerns? It's a surprisingly fine line between concerned fan and annoying troll. Given my druthers, I'd lean heavily towards the freedom of speech side. Dissenting opinions are the fabric of life.

Regardless of why ROD is better, I'm not missing StLToday Rams talk at all. But I do wonder if the wild-west unmoderated Rams Talk is more reflective of the state of Rams fandom that our Utopian haven of bliss here at ROD.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I think a little of both, junkman. It's well moderated, so the more reasonable people gravitated here.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I love the PD! Presenting facts and then see them go ignored is priceless!!

Boy, I need better entertainment in life.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It does beg the question, tho. Is ROD better because the people are just better? That is, polite, reasonable and informed fans. Or is it better because ROD is so well moderated? I'm all for chasing off folks who are clearly trolls, but are we chasing off fellow fans with legitimate questions / concerns? It's a surprisingly fine line between concerned fan and annoying troll. Given my druthers, I'd lean heavily towards the freedom of speech side. Dissenting opinions are the fabric of life.
We're better because we don't use the following words to make our points/express our concerns:

"Mom."
"Bust."
"Garbage time."
"Fishy-fish."
"Idiot."
"Sam-antha."
"China doll."
"L.A RAMS!"

And so on.

When I go over there it's because I hate bad arguments and like to debunk them (as does @Angry Ram). It's fun. But when in Rome, and all. There's also the idea that when you try to CONVINCE fellow Rams fans that the Organization is garbage, or the players suck, then what are you really trying to accomplish? Nobody wants to look at the team that way.

…..

Legend
It is fun to go into Ramstalk and stir the pot alittle....but I havent been there since I was banned

ROD is better because the members want it to be better.

PhxRam

Yep -X- is clearly awesome. I visited StLToday.com Rams Talk for the first time in... well... geez, a really long time... months? So I followed the link, read the post. The OP says we should "Expect a slow start Sunday" because Fisher is soft on the Rams players. Hmmm, a dubious claim at best. The negativism, the truthiness, I didn't miss it, I assure you of that.

Regardless of why ROD is better, I'm not missing StLToday Rams talk at all. But I do wonder if the wild-west unmoderated Rams Talk is more reflective of the state of Rams fandom that our Utopian haven of bliss here at ROD.

In reality the site is mostly self moderated. While it is true that the mods have to occasionally step in and remove a post, our main objective is to simply maintain board harmony.

You will find in most cases a poster will get themselves in trouble when they start talking in absolutes or lose all objective reasoning over their "concern"

To test this, @-X- and myself decided to conduct a experiment to see how far you could take a less then favorable opinion without creating a commotion. X made up a new username and made a post regarding Bradford (at least I think it was Bradford) that was far from a Bradford endorsement.

Guess what happened?

Nothing. Not a single user marked the post as being inappropriate.

Why?

Because he constructed his post in a manner that was well thought out and he refrained from using disparaging commentary. A post doesn't have to be written like it was penned from a Rhodes Scholar, but it needs to at least come across like it is not some 6th grade playground slap fight reenactment.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
We're better because we don't use the following words to make our points/express our concerns:

"Mom."
"Bust."
"Garbage time."
"Fishy-fish."
"Idiot."
"Sam-antha."
"China doll."
"L.A RAMS!"

And so on.

When I go over there it's because I hate bad arguments and like to debunk them (as does @Angry Ram). It's fun. But when in Rome, and all...

I've often wondered why a "newspaper" would ever allow the type of shit that goes on at that site. It's horrific and they really should be ashamed of it, and I mean it should be a source of embarrassment for the company that owns it, Lee Enterprises. If I was the CEO I'd call the editor and tell him "fix that today or I'll close down the board".

That paper has an impressive history. As the digital age takes over they can't allow that type of crap to stain their electronic outlet, it's just disgraceful. Joseph Pulitzer is turning over in his grave.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I rarely go there at all anymore. The only time I do is generally when I want to check out the Cards Talk forum then just out of habit click the Rams talk forum...usually see something obnoxious and leave or chime in for a post or two and get frustrated and leave.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
In reality the site is mostly self moderated. While it is true that the mods have to occasionally step in and remove a post, our main objective is to simply maintain board harmony.

You will find in most cases a poster will get themselves in trouble when they start talking in absolutes or lose all objective reasoning over their "concern"

To test this, @-X- and myself decided to conduct a experiment to see how far you could take a less then favorable opinion without creating a commotion. X made up a new username and made a post regarding Bradford (at least I think it was Bradford) that was far from a Bradford endorsement.

Guess what happened?

Nothing. Not a single user marked the post as being inappropriate.

Why?

Because he constructed his post in a manner that was well thought out and he refrained from using disparaging commentary. A post doesn't have to be written like it was penned from a Rhodes Scholar, but it needs to at least come across like it is not some 6th grade playground slap fight reenactment.

A perfect example is the thread I started about Hill/Bradford.

Put that up on the PD's board and it would turn into a pack of monkeys flinging shit.

howlers.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

That comes from the creative wack pack doesn't it? I saw the author speak when he first came out with those and everyone got a deck of the cards as part of the seminar. Excellent stuff.

Here are two of my favorites

0a245b0ca8f344be9012e05d016d87dc.jpg

The other I can't find an image for. It was the one about the Gordian Knot and making up your own rules.

I wish I still had them, I've no idea what ever happened to them.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
When I go over there it's because I hate bad arguments and like to debunk them (as does @Angry Ram).

OK, I'm in a horrible mood now. I just did my first Rams Talk post since June 13, putting my two cents worth on page 17 of a Michael Sam thread. I kinda think I'm done there. They either bring out the best in me or the worst in me, and at this point I can barely tell the difference.

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1051350&p=14051395#p14051395

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
OK, I'm in a horrible mood now. I just did my first Rams Talk post since June 13, putting my two cents worth on page 17 of a Michael Sam thread. I kinda think I'm done there. They either bring out the best in me or the worst in me, and at this point I can barely tell the difference.

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1051350&p=14051395#p14051395

I just read all 17 pages of that thread. Thee are a couple of good posters in that discussion and a few that are complete dunces.

Wow, it's sad to read that kind of stuff isn't it.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
What I thought was funny, was seeing RamzFanz a few posts down doing some recruiting for ROD.

The place gets worse every year. Shame, that a few ass holes can ruin it.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Crap!! This reminds me that I missed the Barksdale chat!! Gotta go read that....

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I do wish people would stop telling more trolls from that terribad site to come here though! We got an influx of trolls pre-draft and then another bunch post Sam Bradfords injury...

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
A perfect example is the thread I started about Hill/Bradford.

Put that up on the PD's board and it would turn into a pack of monkeys flinging crap.

howlers.jpg
Meanwhile over at RamStalk, the usual suspects made almost all the Hill threads about Bradford and how bad he is, while chiding everyone for still being about Bradford and not moving on and supporting Hill, because they're moms. I remind you this was in a HILL thread.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I do wish people would stop telling more trolls from that terribad site to come here though! We got an influx of trolls pre-draft and then another bunch post Sam Bradfords injury...

I don't mind an influx of Rams fans, and I REALLY don't want to get onto the slippery slope of who should be labeled as a troll. Pre-draft and post-injury are exactly the times I'd expect more folks to be showing up. Naive as though it may be, I believe that a huge majority of Rams fans who post on these sites are good people with honest and legit viewpoints. The self-policing described by @PhxRam seems very effective in keeping the discourse here polite.