WR's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMO, Lewis was definitely a bust for the Rams. Archuletta....ehhh, close. Pickett I recall coming on fairly strong his last yr here, but the FO didn't think he warranted the FA $$ to resign. If my memory serves (which it too often doesn't these days), I think there was mixed sentiments about whether letting him get away was a good move at the time.

Overall, I think you're right though. It does seem many more have come here for the paycheck and never played up to it.

Interesting topic. A couple others I can think of that have left the Rams and done better for other teams...
- John Greco. Rather injury prone in his times with the Rams, but seems to have carved out a decent career in Cleveland.
- George Selvie. Cut after 1 yr(?) with the Rams. Bounced around a bit, has been a starter for Dallas the last couple yr, I believe. He's been the one that makes me wonder how Michael Sam can't land a job if GS can. I may be all wrong, but I seem to recall many of the same complaints about GS that we heard last year about MS.

Oh yeah I forgot about Greco, didn't understand why he couldn't get on the freaking field when he was here when we had a horrible Oline!..

George Selvie hasn't done bad in Dallas.. but since he was a 6th or 7th rounder, I didn't consider him a Rams "bust".

Also Danario Alexander looked pretty good in SD before his knees started to "bust" again, poor kid.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LAWL at the bolded part. You're just so wrong that it's not even funny. There's not even a question about it; you're just flat out wrong.

Calvin Johnson won the Biletnikoff Award and the Warfield Trophy in his junior year with seventy-six catches, fifteen touchdowns, and one-thousand-two-hundred-and-two yards.

Jadeveon Clowney won the Ted Hendricks Award in his sophomore year (best defensive end in college football) and was a finalist for the Nagurski, the Bednarik, and the Lombardi award with thirteen sacks, three forced fumbles, and 23.5 tackles for a loss. The only reason he didn't produce in his junior year was because of an injury, but his outstanding sophomore season got him on the map.

That season by Andre Williams got him drafted by the Giants. Bailey and Austin got drafted as highly as they did in part because of their stats.

Michael Sam was an entirely different case with entirely different reasons as to why teams didn't draft him as highly as they should have, but I'm not getting into that discussion again; there's another thread for that.

So please don't feed me that crap that stats don't mean anything.

Stats don't mean anything. I'm not saying their play doesn't mean anything - that means everything - but there is a difference. Stats can be influenced by players on your team, players against your team, and the system you play in - when you factor all of those things together, statistics can be inflated or deflated to the point where they are meaningless. I suppose looking at a QB that throws for 50 TDs is impressive no matter what, but it won't get them drafted high. That's the point I was trying to make.

And you're right, I was wrong about Calvin Johnson. But the point about Clowney's last year of college remains the same - he was drafted number 1 in spite of a poor statistical season. I realize he had a good year prior, but I think my point is still valid.

Gholston compared to Chris Long - similar stats. There are too many examples like this, including as I pointed out multiple times, nearly all the QBs that hold NCAA records - they aren't good pros.

If stats are so important, please tell me how dominant college players crap out in the pros?? How does Matt Cassel back up Leinart at USC but become a better NFL QB?? If you are saying that stats are important for good players but not for bad, that doesn't make any sense.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stats don't mean anything. I'm not saying their play doesn't mean anything - that means everything - but there is a difference. Stats can be influenced by players on your team, players against your team, and the system you play in - when you factor all of those things together, statistics can be inflated or deflated to the point where they are meaningless. I suppose looking at a QB that throws for 50 TDs is impressive no matter what, but it won't get them drafted high. That's the point I was trying to make.

And you're right, I was wrong about Calvin Johnson. But the point about Clowney's last year of college remains the same - he was drafted number 1 in spite of a poor statistical season. I realize he had a good year prior, but I think my point is still valid.

Gholston compared to Chris Long - similar stats. There are too many examples like this, including as I pointed out multiple times, nearly all the QBs that hold NCAA records - they aren't good pros.

If stats are so important, please tell me how dominant college players crap out in the pros?? How does Matt Cassel back up Leinart at USC but become a better NFL QB?? If you are saying that stats are important for good players but not for bad, that doesn't make any sense.

Sorry for butting in here guys... if I may chime in on this discussion.

I'm wondering if statistics and the combine, is a rather a measurement of potential given the right conditions/situations?

jjab360

Legend

Bulk stats by themselves are useless for talent evaluation but production with competition and situation taken into account is a huge part of identifying which prospects deserve to be evaluated first.