WR position remains Rams' biggest void

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yes, injuries have killed us at that position as well. I think it's fair to say that EVERYONE knows that the Rams need help at WR. Whether we get that help via draft, trade, or free agency, it will be addressed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Lol. Another stunning revelation.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Horns of Gold said:
Consider this.....

Brandon Lloyd already leads the team with a whopping 430 yards.

18 tight ends have more yards than that. Disgraceful.

The revolving door at the #2 WR spot has got to be nailed shut. It's obvious that Lloyd is the only WR on the roster who has the tools to be on the field every snap.

Hopefully this issue will be resolved in the first round of the draft.

It doesn't have to be the first round. There are second round wideouts out there that have first round talent, such as Marvin McNutt (the guy I want, personally) and Dwayne Jones. None of the top three wide receivers (Blackmon, Jeffrey, Floyd) are like A.J. Green or Julio Jones. They all have red flags concerning their character. You may be a fan of drafting guys who have character issues with a top ten pick, but I'm not - and after the debacles of guys like Kennedy and Carriker, I never will be.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
DR RAM said:
Whether we get that help via draft, trade, or free agency, it will be addressed.
Not to be too flippant, but why should I have confidence that this offseason this long time glaring issue will finally be addressed?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
interference said:
DR RAM said:
Whether we get that help via draft, trade, or free agency, it will be addressed.
Not to be too flippant, but why should I have confidence that this offseason this long time glaring issue will finally be addressed?
Fair point. But to counter that with fairness...

He *did* bring in about as many receivers as he could. And we're talking about since 2009. We all know what the FA market was like in 2009 and 2010. 2011 the Rams were competing with 31 other teams and couldn't sign everybody. But even if they could (sign everybody), who was the guy who makes a difference? The only guy I can think of is Plaxico Burress and maybe Torrey Smith. But Torrey Smith wasn't what McDaniels needed for his offense to work, and Plaxico Burress had his choice of destinations.

Anyway, here are the guys Devaney DID get for the Rams since 2009.

Robinson
Amendola

Gibson
Alexander
Sims-Walker
Lloyd
Pettis
Salas
Kendricks
Hoomanawanui
Clayton
Gilyard
Curry

Just happens that the ones in bold were injured, got injured, or ARE injured. Gilyard probably isn't going to make it at this level. Curry is a special teams ACE, who was also injured his rookie season. Sims-Walker is what he is. Gibson is what he is. There just hasn't been very many opportunities to get a playmaking wide receiver unless the Rams were to ignore the need at LT and get Crabtree. And even then... meh.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
interference said:
DR RAM said:
Fair point. But to counter that with fairness...

He *did* bring in about as many receivers as he could. And we're talking about since 2009. We all know what the FA market was like in 2009 and 2010. 2011 the Rams were competing with 31 other teams and couldn't sign everybody. But even if they could (sign everybody), who was the guy who makes a difference? The only guy I can think of is Plaxico Burress and maybe Torrey Smith. But Torrey Smith wasn't what McDaniels needed for his offense to work, and Plaxico Burress had his choice of destinations.

Anyway, here are the guys Devaney DID get for the Rams since 2009.

Robinson
Amendola

Gibson
Alexander
Sims-Walker
Lloyd
Pettis
Salas
Kendricks
Hoomanawanui
Clayton

Gilyard
Curry

Just happens that the ones in bold were injured, got injured, or ARE injured. Gilyard probably isn't going to make it at this level. Curry is a special teams ACE, who was also injured his rookie season. Sims-Walker is what he is. Gibson is what he is. There just hasn't been very many opportunities to get a playmaking wide receiver unless the Rams were to ignore the need at LT and get Crabtree. And even then... meh.
And--they tried to make a move for VJ and did make a move for Lloyd on top of everything else above. Even if they draft a WR with a top 5 pick, there is no guarantee that he will work out. I think they only need one guy. With what Salas and Pettis have shown, and Amendola probably back at full force next year. One guy if they sign Lloyd that is.

You can choose not to have confidence, but that won't help anyone, or change anything that the team does.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
DR RAM said:
You can choose not to have confidence, but that won't help anyone, or change anything that the team does.
Well, if I were to use that logic then there would be no further need for this forum. None of the discussions here have any impact on what this organization does, but I haven't notice that fact curtailing the amount and depth of discussion here.

Just about everyone that's a fan has been aware that RB and WR have been pressing needs for years, but here we sit yet again hoping that these issue will be satisfactorily resolved in the off season. Given that these franchises spend millions per year on FO staff who paid to make successful decisons, I don't believe I am being unfair or unrealistic by questioning their future performance by reviewing past performance. Further, bringing in all the WRs that were available is not what these FO staff are paid to do, they are paid to bring in WR talent who will excel and win... and that's why they command such high salaries. With high salaries comes high expectations, and their record demonstrates that they've not met these expectations.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
interference said:
DR RAM said:
Well, if I were to use that logic then there would be no further need for this forum. None of the discussions here have any impact on what this organization does, but I haven't notice that fact curtailing the amount and depth of discussion here.

Just about everyone that's a fan has been aware that RB and WR have been pressing needs for years, but here we sit yet again hoping that these issue will be satisfactorily resolved in the off season. Given that these franchises spend millions per year on FO staff who paid to make successful decisons, I don't believe I am being unfair or unrealistic by questioning their future performance by reviewing past performance. Further, bringing in all the WRs that were available is not what these FO staff are paid to do, they are paid to bring in WR talent who will excel and win... and that's why they command such high salaries. With high salaries comes high expectations, and their record demonstrates that they've not met these expectations.
The argument was in the thread, did they all work out? No. Did they get everyone they tried to? No. Were there injuries that dramatically affected the overall talent at WR? Yes. So, continue to blame it on whoever you want. I realize now that this is a another blame the GM and coach thread. You look at the receivers at half empty, I look at them as half full. I see a lot of promise in our ROOKIES, and Lloyd is a legit #1 talent. Throw in a healthy Mark Clayton and Danny Amendola and we would have had a hell of a squad. Do you dispute that?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I guess I'm a lone wolf here. I don't think the Rams are in that bad of shape at WR going into next season IF everybody that was injured can come back strong. (Amendola, Salas, Clayton, etc.)

Would Blackmon be an attractive option? Hell yeah but I think there are bigger holes to fill now.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ramhusker said:
I guess I'm a lone wolf here. I don't think the Rams are in that bad of shape at WR going into next season IF everybody that was injured can come back strong. (Amendola, Salas, Clayton, etc.)

Would Blackmon be an attractive option? Hell yeah but I think there are bigger holes to fill now.
You are not alone. We are not that far away here at WR. Yes, there are much bigger holes to fill than signing a WR in the first round. Not that I'm against it if he's the best rated player where we pick, because it is a need.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Ramhusker said:

I don't think so either, if everyone comes back healthy at plays at a level that they're capable of, our receiving corps aren't terrible.

My (very early and hardly researched) draft strategy right now would be Matt Kalil, if he doesn't declare (which apparently the article saying he was close to staying in school wasn't true).. If he's not there, depending on other risers/fallers, Blackmon could be that pick. Even if we don't grab him, there's some pretty skilled free agents hitting the market.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
Ramhusker said:

I don't think so either, if everyone comes back healthy at plays at a level that they're capable of, our receiving corps aren't terrible.

My (very early and hardly researched) draft strategy right now would be Matt Kalil, if he doesn't declare (which apparently the article saying he was close to staying in school wasn't true).. If he's not there, depending on other risers/fallers, Blackmon could be that pick. Even if we don't grab him, there's some pretty skilled free agents hitting the market.
Kalil is a no brainer if he opts for the draft, has been for months. We may only have 2 returning offensive lineman next year. Saffold and H. Dahl. WR depth is deep, OT depth isn't.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
interference said:
With high salaries comes high expectations, and their record demonstrates that they've not met these expectations.
That's about the gist of it. Though, I don't know that salary has a whole lot to do with expectations. Not mine, anyway. HC and GM salaries are varied, but they're all high. All things considered. I don't have a problem with that rationale above. Everyone here (presumably) is on the same page as far as expectations are concerned.

What I think is ridiculous is when people start naming players on other teams or mucking up the issues with loads and loads of statistics (of other teams or other players). That rarely has any bearing on what this particular team is going through. This organization is not 100% beyond reproach, but I still maintain that *fans* are woefully unequipped to render judgement on NFL professionals. That doesn't mean people shouldn't do that. But fans that INSIST they know better? Whatever. Might as well claim to know more about the universe than astrophysicists. I mean, you look at stars and stuff too. How hard can it be?

Anonymous

DR RAM said:
Ramhusker said:

You are not alone. We are not that far away here at WR. Yes, there are much bigger holes to fill than signing a WR in the first round. Not that I'm against it if he's the best rated player where we pick, because it is a need.

As I see it, Rams 3 biggest needs are:

DT
CB
WR

As it happens, reportedly, those are the 3 deepest areas in this draft.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Ramhusker said:

Well assuming Clayton comes back 100%. "Lucky" Amendola's injury was to his elbow and not any part of the leg anatomy, and that it happened week 1. Lot's of time to heal. Salas, who knows. Hopefully he can be ready. Can't ever count on DX for a full 16 game season.

Playing devils advocate here, but Lloyd also has had some bad drops this year. And besides, what happens if HE gets hurt? Still think Blackmon should be a strong possibility.

As for the OL, Kalil might be the pick. And if it happens, fine. But Saffold as a rookie allowed 3.5 sacks last year. No one complained about the OL or the OL coach last year. Polian was bashed by the media and Colts fans for passing on Saffold in the 1st round. He obviously has talent and it may not be fair to him to give up @ LT. Hell he's @ LT b/c Smith got hurt and he ended up playing so well @ that spot.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
zn said:
DR RAM said:
Ramhusker said:

DT
CB
WR

I agree that those are all big needs, unfortunately at CB. You don't think offensive line is a big need. Can you please explain?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
zn said:
DR RAM said:
Ramhusker said:

DT
CB
WR

I agree that those are all big needs, unfortunately at CB. You don't think offensive line is a big need. Can you please explain?

At CB and DT the Rams need multiple picks. And one at each position will need to start from game one. But from a overall view there isn't a unit other than QB and DE that doesn't need a upgrade. With little left of the dev. type players still on the roster this will be the most important draft in years.
They have a core now so here comes the complementary players.

OL is the biggest need...If we can't keep Bradford vertical this team can'r win any games, period. Kalil is perfect if he's there, if not trade down is the common theme. and It's a great idea. But.

No Kalil I'm picking Trent Richardson at 2 or 3. Most talented player in the draft not named Luck. He's a playmaker and will put points on the board. He will help win games.

Wait, but we have SJax?
Not in my plan. it's time to give him a gold watch to match his spikes and move on. He's still great and one of the best in the game but Richardson will win the Rams more games over the next 4 years than Jackson and at a lower cap number. I'm taking Jacksons 6.34 cap money and getting two solid OL men. Don't need to be all pro types, but just steady and fit the blocking scheme. They must work well with the new OL coach.
Cap money is tight next season and sometimes you got to let go of the past to embrace the future.
It's about wins.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:
zn said:
DR RAM said:
Ramhusker said:

DT
CB
WR

At CB and DT the Rams need multiple picks. And one at each position will need to start from game one. But from a overall view there isn't a unit other than QB and DE that doesn't need a upgrade. With little left of the dev. type players still on the roster this will be the most important draft in years.
They have a core now so here comes the complementary players.

OL is the biggest need...If we can't keep Bradford vertical this team can'r win any games, period. Kalil is perfect if he's there, if not trade down is the common theme. and It's a great idea. But.

No Kalil I'm picking Trent Richardson at 2 or 3. Most talented player in the draft not named Luck. He's a playmaker and will put points on the board. He will help win games.

Wait, but we have SJax?
Not in my plan. it's time to give him a gold watch to match his spikes and move on. He's still great and one of the best in the game but Richardson will win the Rams more games over the next 4 years than Jackson and at a lower cap number. I'm taking Jacksons 6.34 cap money and getting two solid OL men. Don't need to be all pro types, but just steady and fit the blocking scheme. They must work well with the new OL coach.
Cap money is tight next season and sometimes you got to let go of the past to embrace the future.
It's about wins.

Hard to disagree with you there. You will probably catch hell for saying it, but SJ is not going to play at this level much longer. It may be time to move on.....