WR Battle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Report out of CBS's Hartstein/Roto:
Rams WR Austin Pettis is solidifying a roster spot with a strong training camp.

One camp observer notes that Pettis is making more plays than any Rams receiver in practices while Brandon Gibson and Danario Alexander continue to fall behind due to hamstring injuries. CBS Sports' Larry Hartstein believes Pettis, Danny Amendola, Steve Smith, Greg Salas and rookies Brian Quick and Chris Givens are "all but locks" to make the team. Pettis will miss the first two games while under suspension.

Seems to me there has been a shift in the favorites to make the roster. IMO Gibson's hammy may end up costing him his job. I thought, as recently as a few days ago, Gibson had just about locked down his roster spot, but Pettis has really come on strong of late. He had a solid camp early and has just continued to build momentum. Report after report suggest he is making plays in camp and has the best ball skills. We all saw what he did in the first preseason game too.

IMO BQ, Givens, Amendola and Smith are locks. Salas, Pettis, Gibson, and DX are fighting for the last 2 spots. I think Pettis and Salas have to be the favorites.

Gibson or DX will make the team out of camp, because of Pettis's suspension. They better show something in those first two weeks if they wanna keep their job.

Thoughts???

bluecoconuts

Legend
Quick, Givens, Amendola, Smith, Salas, Gibson go into week 1. Gibson is traded for a low draft pick after Pettis comes back is my guess. But of course that's just a shot in the dark.

I thought about DX over Gibson, but if the coaching staff feels they can trade Gibson for something (anything) I feel it's worth it to keep him and try to make a deal. DX wouldn't have any return because of his injuries. In fact Gibson might not either, but who knows.

We'll all just see what happens when it happens I suppose.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
JT:
Rookie WR Brian Quick was a human-highlight reel in practice Thurs, w/3 leaping sideline catches and 1 "out of frame" catch over the middle.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
JT:
Rookie WR Brian Quick was a human-highlight reel in practice Thurs, w/3 leaping sideline catches and 1 "out of frame" catch over the middle.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hopefully, that will boost his confidence and get him going.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I have a question. Does anyone know what is going on with Salas? ANYONE? He's listed last on the depth chart at WR.

PhxRam

DR RAM said:
I have a question. Does anyone know what is going on with Salas? ANYONE? He's listed last on the depth chart at WR.

That cant be good. How quickly things change.

bluecoconuts

Legend
DR RAM said:

Mixing and matching? I have no idea, I haven't heard much about him, but what I have heard hasn't been that negative.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:

You know I have no idea. First of camps he was with ones then boom back with the UDFA's. Same with the Colt game, most of his time was late.
I don't put much into who's running with who. Kots of the bubble guys get major time so the coaches can eval. them.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Miami Dolphins need a WR. Gibson may be a good fit. I think 6 WRs could stick on roster. Deal Gibson and keep Denario until Pettis is back then you have to make a tough decision.

Iron Lion said:
They really need to keep 6 WRs. Find a way.
i am with you on that ''lion'' we have crap load of receivers in camp pick the percieved ''best'' and only three tight ends what you think??????

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Said it before, say it again: Gibson getting cut/traded isn't gonna hurt this team. Appreciate his effort, but usually you can tell if a WR is going to be "great" or even "really good."

He's right in the middle of WRs w/ highest dropped pass % http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... ped-passes

Considering most of the other guys put up stellar numbers, you can look past that w/ Driver or Bowe or w/e since you can count on them to make the play up later.

So Quick, Givens, Amendola, Smith as locks.

Salas/Gibson/Pettis/DX. Reason I put Salas here is b/c of his posistion in camp. Why was he in the 4th quarter of a preseason game? DX, man I would love to see him stick around, but honestly how much has he practiced? I think he's a gonner.

Pettis, we'll see how he plays in the next preseason games. If he gets better, could the team only keep 5 WRs and then sign on Pettis when he gets back? That's also a possibility.

BUT there's still like 3 weeks of camp left and 3 more preseason games. So, things will change.

Guard

UDFA
Angry Ram said:
BUT there's still like 3 weeks of camp left and 3 more preseason games. So, things will change.

Here's what I get out of this.... we have 12 WR's battling for 6 spots on the team and it's early in pre-season, and the ONLY ones I consider to have an uphill battle to make the roster is Johnson, Gilbert, and Harvey. And nothing against them, it's just that they have a lot of 1st and 2nd year players in front of them who are highly drafted. Like you say, we now have 3 preseason games left.... guys got to drag themselves onto the field and try to impress the coaches.

Iron Lion

Starter
AIRWARNER13 said:
Iron Lion said:
They really need to keep 6 WRs. Find a way.
i am with you on that ''lion'' we have crap load of receivers in camp pick the percieved ''best'' and only three tight ends what you think??????

I don't know what you mean by "only" 3 TEs. That's the standard amount.

If you're suggesting that the Rams keep 2 TEs and give the roster spot to a WR, that may or may not work—it depends on the scheme the Rams are using, and since there's a new OC and they didn't show any scheme against the Colts, and since this isn't even my team and I don't follow them as closely, I really have no idea what kind of offensive system they will run.