WR adjustments

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
OL is set, they just need more snaps and experience and are coming along. QB is set, Foles isn't Joe Montana but he can win when he has the pieces around him. RB is set, the Rams are fortunate to have the best young back in the league in horns. TEs are set, up until Cigs finds and burns the compromising photos that Cook has on Fish there's not any real hope of seeing him held accountable.

That pretty much leaves the WR position as the one Cigs can mix and match the most with, but the options are limited. Britt's a bargain but in his 7th season we know what he is: an inconsistent option who has his moments. Bailey is a guy we've all called for over and over and they're working him in, hopefully Foles will start to trust and look for him more. I still have that hope for him but at this point I'm wondering whether he's gonna be that guy we thought he could be.

Quick has the size and hands this offense needs. As they have been mixing him in he has looked good catching the ball and he has that upside still. Can we please see an effort to get him the ball on some slants where he can use his size and help this team convert first downs? Quit treating the guy like he's gonna break. The team needs someone who can step up and give Foles a third legitimate option he can count on and the only two options the Rams have is Quick and Bailey.

I genuinely hope that right now the coaches are trying to do just that. If they can get one of those two guys to step up and give Foles that third option in the passing game I feel like this offense will settle in as a solid to good unit.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I still believe in Britt....and I really would like to see some type of game plan that includes Quick early and often...especially on 3rd down...It's amazing how this '15 team has forgotten what he brought to the table last year...I see Bailey as the slot guy....And I still like Jared Cook....Hell, I like all our wrs....I still like DX.... I loved DA...even in a Pats uni....

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I still believe in Britt....and I really would like to see some type of game plan that includes Quick early and often...especially on 3rd down...It's amazing how this '15 team has forgotten what he brought to the table last year...I see Bailey as the slot guy....And I still like Jared Cook....Hell, I like all our wrs....I still like DX.... I loved DA...even in a Pats uni....
Danario Alexander?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I really thought Bailey would step up this year but Foles does not seem to have the trust and after he dropped a first down in the 9ers game I have my doubts he will get many more chances to step up.

I would love to see Quick get about 5 or 6 targets a game and think he would be great running those slants. Foles doesn't seem to have the ability to throw consistently outside the numbers, there have been way to many 10 feet over the WRs heads on those sideline throws.

How many throws per game are there to go around? Not enough for the third option be the guy on 3rd and 8.

anode8

Professional lurker, occasional poster.
Name
Ron
I would love to see Quick get about 5 or 6 targets a game and think he would be great running those slants.

YES!!! We need some quick slants thrown in the mix on 1st and 2nd down, to help ease up on the 3rd and long predicament.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OL is set, they just need more snaps and experience and are coming along. QB is set, Foles isn't Joe Montana but he can win when he has the pieces around him. RB is set, the Rams are fortunate to have the best young back in the league in horns. TEs are set, up until Cigs finds and burns the compromising photos that Cook has on Fish there's not any real hope of seeing him held accountable.

That pretty much leaves the WR position as the one Cigs can mix and match the most with, but the options are limited. Britt's a bargain but in his 7th season we know what he is: an inconsistent option who has his moments. Bailey is a guy we've all called for over and over and they're working him in, hopefully Foles will start to trust and look for him more. I still have that hope for him but at this point I'm wondering whether he's gonna be that guy we thought he could be.

Quick has the size and hands this offense needs. As they have been mixing him in he has looked good catching the ball and he has that upside still. Can we please see an effort to get him the ball on some slants where he can use his size and help this team convert first downs? Quit treating the guy like he's gonna break. The team needs someone who can step up and give Foles a third legitimate option he can count on and the only two options the Rams have is Quick and Bailey.

I genuinely hope that right now the coaches are trying to do just that. If they can get one of those two guys to step up and give Foles that third option in the passing game I feel like this offense will settle in as a solid to good unit.

I think you're overlooking our best WR this year...Tavon Austin.

Quick is the guy that has to step it up. But they could do more to help him. I was shocked that they didn't throw a fade to Quick in the red-zone against San Francisco.

I have another interesting thought...Duron Carter? He's on the Indy practice squad. Might be worth giving him a shot.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
We have the pieces, we just need the game reps. First our O line couldn't block for a 10 yard out. Now they seem to be improving a bit. Hell Foles and the receivers are probably shocked when the play is there to be made because there's time. Much like being shocked when Cook caught the ball AND held onto it yesterday.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have the pieces, we just need the game reps. First our O line couldn't block for a 10 yard out. Now they seem to be improving a bit. Hell Foles and the receivers are probably shocked when the play is there to be made because there's time. Much like being shocked when Cook caught the ball AND held onto it yesterday.

The defense was so shocked, two of them fainted. ;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think you're overlooking our best WR this year...Tavon Austin.

Quick is the guy that has to step it up. But they could do more to help him. I was shocked that they didn't throw a fade to Quick in the red-zone against San Francisco.

I have another interesting thought...Duron Carter? He's on the Indy practice squad. Might be worth giving him a shot.

Talking about the third threat or option for teams to need to defend. Right now Minnesota is gameplanning to stop the Rams proven two in Gurley and Tavon. I believe getting one of the remainder to step it up is the key to this offense "arriving." They need someone they can trust, that they can go to when they need a first down that will allow them to get desired matchups.

It's gotta be Bailey or Quick. What has been holding them back is trying to use Cook in that role. They gotta make the change and give one of these guys the opportunity to fill that role.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
I'm thinking that Quick will see the ball more each game now as he gets back to full speed. Britt will see some action, and TA continues to impress. I think Bailey is just feeling the effects of an O that doesn't need to throw the ball 40 times per game.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm thinking that Quick will see the ball more each game now as he gets back to full speed. Britt will see some action, and TA continues to impress. I think Bailey is just feeling the effects of an O that doesn't need to throw the ball 40 times per game.
Exactly....
And I love that Avatar man! Was gonna be my favorite Ram until he left....And told Robinson to run 47-gap. LOL

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Exactly....
And I love that Avatar man! Was gonna be my favorite Ram until he left....And told Robinson to run 47-gap. LOL
Thanks man - He was and will be one of my all-time favorites. I am getting pretty excited about our new RB... Gurley is ridiculous

Big Willie

Starter
I heard D Farr from 101ESPN say that he believes the issue with Quick is based on Quick's inability to adjust his route on check with me's called at the line. In essence, Quick can run the original route but may be making mistakes when last minute adjustments are made at the line and ends up being in the wrong place. (I am paraphrasing.) Also, during the coach's show last night Fisher seemed aggravated when someone asked if Quick was going to get more balls thrown to him.
While Quick has the athletic ability to be the player we need, it appears that he will never reach his ceiling with the Rams. Questionable scouting (didn't identify the learning issue) and bad coaching (they never were able to simplify his assignments to enable him to flourish) have made this a bad signing.

Britt has returned to past form (after getting a new contract...hmmm). It doesn't appear Foles can find Bailey, or he isn't open, or he is never the primary receiver.....

I am now in the camp that says we need to draft a top receiver with unquestionable hands.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Britt has returned to past form (after getting a new contract...hmmm).

He's only been targeted 26 times, 12 catches and 3 drops. So 43 percent of the targets are uncatchable, maybe the problem is the QB not the WRs??

FWIW Bailey has 21 targets 10 catches and 1 drop, again a high number of uncatchable balls.

Big Willie

Starter
He's only been targeted 26 times, 12 catches and 3 drops. So 43 percent of the targets are uncatchable, maybe the problem is the QB not the WRs??

FWIW Bailey has 21 targets 10 catches and 1 drop, again a high number of uncatchable balls.
What about plays where the WR was in the wrong place and defensed passes. Also, I am pretty sure Britt has dropped more than 3 passes. I remember 2 in the last 3 games.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree about Quick, Austin and Bailey. I like this group of WR. I don't care for Britt. He is a starving mans Calvin Johnson. A great athlete who disappears for long stretches and always gets nicked up when he does have a good game. For $4M a year he is gone to me after this season. The team may not resign Quick if they have run out of patience with him.
I agree about the Oline, TE (I am dropping cook and adding a new TE this offseason) and RB.
I disagree about the QB position. By seasons end this may well be our biggest need, not that it will be addressed.
One has to ask about the lack of slants and crosses in the passing game. Is it really the WRs can run those routes? Is it the coaches want to keep THIS QB from throwing into traffic. If you look at the number of deep throws vs man coverage, screen passes and out toward the sideline (a low risk throw) it is clear to me the coaches don't trust Foles to read, find guys and make throws. They are protecting him, which is smart. I knew he was limited when he was traded for, not this limited however. When they did run a few shallow crosses vs SF he was late on those throws from what I could see.

fearsomefour

Legend

Agreed.
Its our QB and play calling. They want him to have one read or a throw away. They don't trust him. I have said it before. The play calling, minus lame ass roll outs, is similar to how the Cardinals ran their offense when Leinart was it. Leinart would get a limited package, Warner would come in and run the full passing game.
I truly believe the passing game would be better with Keenum at this point.

V3

Hall of Fame

Like Big Willie said, you can't forget when the WRs weren't in the right spot. Also, you can't ignore the throws that were intentionally off target because the WR wasn't open but Foles had to get rid of the ball or take a sack. I've seen a TON of throws from Foles that are just throwaways because the WR couldn't get open and/or the OL couldn't hold up any longer.

Athos

Legend
Agreed.
Its our QB and play calling. They want him to have one read or a throw away. They don't trust him. I have said it before. The play calling, minus lame ass roll outs, is similar to how the Cardinals ran their offense when Leinart was it. Leinart would get a limited package, Warner would come in and run the full passing game.
I truly believe the passing game would be better with Keenum at this point.

Agreed. The passing game must improve. Facing a more...solid, maybe mistake free? team in the Vikings could expose the bad passing attack more. We're lucky that the Bengals, outside of the rest of our division games minus the Whiners, are the only tough D left. So time to figure it out.

Or, my preference, friggen trading for Jeffery.