Would you trade two firsts for Cam Newton?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Would you trade two firsts for Cam Newton?

• Yes

Votes: 33 32.7%
  • No

Votes: 68 67.3%

• Total voters

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would trade a first and a third with the caveat that Rod Chudzinski becomes the new offensive coordinator.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'm with you and you and I have had these discussion over the years on the Herd. Running QB's eventually collapse. I think Newton has lasted longer because of his size and strength and it seems to me that typically after 1-3 years these types of guys end up gone or as a backup somewhere.
Yeah, it just seems to me that RGIII, Kaepernick, Newton and even Wilson had much of their success running around in circles and then throwing to a receiver who'd got lost and behind the secondary. Now that defenses are compensating for that, they all seem to have experienced a big drop in passing efficiency. Not to mention, only Wilson has avoided injury and is as quick as he used to be. All the other guys are running on spare tires and don't scare defenses like before.

Can't say that I'd be thrilled with the acquisition of Newton. Certainly better than the scrap heap currently playing for the Rams but whatever benefit there is to him being just 26 and possibly just in need of new scenery and fixable, is his personality. My impression of his is not a positive one. But it's only an impression. My bias doesn't help though as he's always rubbed me the wrong way.

With his youth and physicality it would sure be tempting to consider but that would only be if the Rams didn't have Bradford. I'd still rather give Bradford another shot over mortgaging a good chunk of the future on Newton.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Yes, wouldn't think twice. In my opinion the most talented QB in the league and with a real supporting cast he's one of the top QBs in the NFL. We've got a hell of a lot more talent and a much better supporting cast than Carolina does. With Newton, we're a possible SB contender.

duckhunter

Starter
I wouldn't trade TWO first rounders but I would trade both of Jry's nuts and a couple of his marbles too.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Not 2 firsts. Hell no.

I'd give up a 2nd at most. He's a good QB, and I've think he's gotten better as a person since his Auburn days.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Trading two #1s for a failed QB seems like a Raiders move. I would rather use the picks to move up in the draft and take a guy I liked if we needed a QB.
Newton has been playing behind the worst oline in football this year. Our beat up oline would be an improvement for him.
He also has very little as far as weapons. Give him our WR's and TEs. I think he'd be great.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Haven't all of the "running QB's" dropped off the last year or two? Has the league caught up to the schoolyard success that these guys all burst onto the scene with?

Has the league caught up or have the teams tried to conform these guys into the traditional pocket passers (something they never were) in order to protect their investments? I'd say the latter.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Has the league caught up or have the teams tried to conform these guys into the traditional pocket passers (something they never were) in order to protect their investments? I'd say the latter.

Either way, they're not good. I can't say I blame a team trying to protect a investment. Running 15 times a game is a bit different against the Seahawks then it is against S.Texas St Tech. It's a lot to expect to have a guy getting hit like that on his arms and legs, then shake of the cobwebs long enough to properly read a defense, then throw an accurate deep out. And that's even giving him the benefit of the doubt that he really knows how to read a defense. Teams shouldn't be taken to task for protecting an investment, they should be criticized for taking these unprepared QB reaches in the first place and expecting them to start within 2-3 years.

WvuIN02

Starter
Absolutely, if we also hired someone who wasn't your typical old school NFL OC....ie someone who was open minded enough to see a players strengths and use them.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I would think that 2 first round picks would open the discussion among all but a few teams. Obviously GB and Indy would hang up on you, probably Seattle as well. Everyone else would probably hear us out. So, my question from before is, if we're really willing to part with 2 1sts, is Newton the best we can do? Is there any other promising young QBs we can get for much less than that? Remember whoever we spend these draft picks on would still have to beat out a healthy Bradford going by what Snead said earlier, that's a steep price for a maybe backup. I'm not at all convinced that Newton could beat out a healthy Bradford.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Nope, I'd rather trade two firsts for Jameis Winston before going after Cam. I've already seen what Newton's capable of mentally, and he just doesn't seem to take it to the next level in terms of QB mechanics that would put him on par with at least Roethlisberger, Rivers, or Ryan.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Either way, they're not good. I can't say I blame a team trying to protect a investment. Running 15 times a game is a bit different against the Seahawks then it is against S.Texas St Tech. It's a lot to expect to have a guy getting hit like that on his arms and legs, then shake of the cobwebs long enough to properly read a defense, then throw an accurate deep out. And that's even giving him the benefit of the doubt that he really knows how to read a defense. Teams shouldn't be taken to task for protecting an investment, they should be criticized for taking these unprepared QB reaches in the first place and expecting them to start within 2-3 years.

15 carries is way too much. I like the 7-8 called plays or scrambles that Russell Wilson seems to average each game. The key is brains. These guys have an advantage no one else has that it appears only Russell Wilson uses regularly and that is to slide feet forward. Wilson could probably count the number of flush hits he's taken on one hand.

And I can't help but to take them to task for overprotecting the QB position, because believe the lack of creativity by offensive coordinators plays a huge role in the need to overprotect them.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not two first....that screams elite talent...maybe a first and a 3rd.....patience young jedi's....patience.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
15 carries is way too much. I like the 7-8 called plays or scrambles that Russell Wilson seems to average each game. The key is brains. These guys have an advantage no one else has that it appears only Russell Wilson uses regularly and that is to slide feet forward. Wilson could probably count the number of flush hits he's taken on one hand.

And I can't help but to take them to task for overprotecting the QB position, because believe the lack of creativity by offensive coordinators plays a huge role in the need to overprotect them.

Russell is an anomaly, he's a lucky gift the Seahawks found. He's about film study and reading defense and taking what they give him. Everything most of that type of QB are not taught to be in college. DCs are already light years better stopping that type of QB. Until these runners have the ability to pass well they'll continue to fail at the NFL level.
A OC's creativity can only cover that lack so long.