Would you trade a first round pick for Larry Fitzgerald?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
iced said:
if he restructured and made it cap friendly - 3rd

if he doesn't - 6th or 7th.

boldin was traded for a 7th too and fitzie is long in the tooth

Different WRs. Fitz is a really good route runner, smooth, can go over the middle, make the tough catch, split the safeties, and take it to the house.

Anquan is but a shit more load powerful. But he doesn't have the speed Fitz does. He is also older than Fitz @ 33.

iced

Angry Ram said:
iced said:
if he restructured and made it cap friendly - 3rd

if he doesn't - 6th or 7th.

boldin was traded for a 7th too and fitzie is long in the tooth

Different WRs. Fitz is a really good route runner, smooth, can go over the middle, make the tough catch, split the safeties, and take it to the house.

Anquan is but a shyte more load powerful. But he doesn't have the speed Fitz does. He is also older than Fitz @ 33.

understandable - but both are at the back of their careers with high cap numbers.

And Boldin bailed out his qb way more than fitz has - not that fitz can't,the balls were just that badly thrown..and of course, boldins talent was more recently show cased at the highest level on an offense that produced in the post season

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
No.

Those first rounders give us a ton of draft day leverage. Gold!

I just don't see enough tread on those tires to warrant a first rounder.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
moklerman said:
Interesting discussion going on over at ASFN about Larry's actual value to the team now and moving forward. Since 2009, his numbers have suffered with all of the turmoil at the QB position for AZ and they owe him a LOT of money starting next year.

Since the Rams have two first rounders and WR continues to be a need, would you make this trade? I'd certainly consider it if Fitz restructures his deal.

In a word....NO.

He's not worth a first rounder. Not at this stage of his career.
Plus if we can't fix our o line, what difference would he make?

P.S. Wifi at 30,000 feet is awesome.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CGI_Ram said:
No.

Those first rounders give us a ton of draft day leverage. Gold!

I just don't see enough tread on those tires to warrant a first rounder.

Larry is like Isaac Bruce or Jerry Rice. Unless the guy suffers a major injury, he'll play into his mid 30s at a high level...because his game has never relied on speed. I think he's still got a good 2-3 years of elite play with the right QB and then another 2-3 years of solid to good play.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Lol at the perception that Fitz is old because his numbers have dipped dramatically.... since Warner left,Boldin left and they've had no one at QB or RB or on the OLine or at TE.

I see Fitz just about every week here on the local tube. He hasn't lost much if anything at all.

Bringing in the cap arguments will moot all blockbuster trade discussions(which are more about straight up value)....so why do it?

Having Fitz here would immediately turn Givens(and probably Tavon,Pettis,Cook,Quick) into a star.

Age concerns? He's a WR not a RB. Look at what Reggie Wayne is doing at 34,and few athletes take care of their bodies like L.Fitzgerald does.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jrry32 said:
Angry Ram said:
Hell yeah, dude is a stud, and no he's not "long in the tooth."

He'd be good for 5 years, @ least.

But here's the thing, it would freak up the youth movement. There's already 4 guys still developing and it wouldn't be fair to Austin Pettis who's worked his ass off to be where he is.

Let Pettis, Givens and Austin rotate. It's Larry Fitzgerald. That guy would do wonders for Bradford.

Issue is that even if a 1st got it done, we can't make room for him in terms of cap space without significant changes.

After reviewing it, the Cards would be the ones likely unable to pull the deal. We'd only have to pay Fitz 5 million this year. We could open that up. They'd have to eat a lot of dead money this year if they dealt him. Doubt they can afford that.

moklerman

Warner-phile
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Normally, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of a trade like this but the main caveat is that the Rams have two first rounders. If it was your team's only first rounder then I don't think you even think about it, but with an extra first rounder it seems like more of a value.

I realize this will never happen but I appreciate the input about why/why not to do this deal.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
moklerman said:
ar.

Since the Rams have two first rounders and WR continues to be a need, would you make this trade? I'd certainly consider it if Fitz restructures his deal.

No...like many other ROD'mers we are still building this team & those first round picks are big very big. Fitz is a big time talent but then again so can Jared Cook be if the Rams had a solid around OL to run & pass block. Having Fitz here with Cook would not make us any better.

Until we can get a running game & improvement in that OL.....Fitz would be a question signing just like Cook. Keep the picks use them wisely to secure a solid OL & build on all those young WR's.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
jrry32 said:
jrry32 said:
Angry Ram said:
Hell yeah, dude is a stud, and no he's not "long in the tooth."

He'd be good for 5 years, @ least.

But here's the thing, it would freak up the youth movement. There's already 4 guys still developing and it wouldn't be fair to Austin Pettis who's worked his ass off to be where he is.

Let Pettis, Givens and Austin rotate. It's Larry Fitzgerald. That guy would do wonders for Bradford.

Issue is that even if a 1st got it done, we can't make room for him in terms of cap space without significant changes.

After reviewing it, the Cards would be the ones likely unable to pull the deal. We'd only have to pay Fitz 5 million this year. We could open that up. They'd have to eat a lot of dead money this year if they dealt him. Doubt they can afford that.

And I don't blame em. Unless it's cap reasons or the player is a complete nuisance teams keep their best players.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
Just jumpin in here at the end. Not really my cup a tea, but to answer....hell no

TexasRam

Legend
If our defense was playing like last year and we were a WR short of positioning ourselves to make a run at the playoffs then you might consider it.

But we are no where near competitive this year. We have no chance at the playoffs folks.

Let's get real.

moklerman

Warner-phile
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
TexasRam said:
If our defense was playing like last year and we were a WR short of positioning ourselves to make a run at the playoffs then you might consider it.

But we are no where near competitive this year. We have no chance at the playoffs folks.

Let's get real.
In general I agree but the NFC is pretty weak this year, relatively speaking. There's still a shot at the 5th or 6th spot.