Would you sign Trey Burton (on the cheap)???

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
was a hurtbag all last season, so I'm thinking a 1y prove it deal. Then rollout the 3 TE package McVay

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Don't know much about his game. I do know that i like our guys a lot.

Defenses will be more prepared for Higbee running wild this season, which i'm hoping is how McV is going to prepare the offensive attack early in anticipation of this...and also more defensive focus on Kupp, Woods.

I think defenses will dare the Rams to pass more than we've seen thus far under McV. If so, it will be a great chance to re-energize and reinvent our ground game approach and give defenses something they aren't ready for and haven't seen in the last few years.

dang

Legend
We got TE covered for this year. Will not trade Everett this year IMO.

Psycho_X

Legend
How cheap is cheap? I'm thinking not.

Bears still owe him $4 million so it’d be a Blake Bortles situation where we’d only have to pay the over. Personally I don’t see a need at the moment but we know how our GM loves to trade so anything could happen with this roster. If the need arose we could get him for cheap one year. But I’m happy to stay pat.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams were interviewing Tight Ends (and I'm not talking about Mcvay's girlfriend) before the societal distancing crackdown. It makes me wonder are they ready to move on from Gerald Everett? Are they planning on letting his contract run out and not sign him?

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
His a FA so, if he doesn't get a offer soon, the price will be vet min. I think a 1.2m deal is cheap to be honest

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
By Adam Jahns 7h ago
comment-icon@2x.png
save-icon@2x.png

The Bears released tight end Trey Burton on Friday. According to league sources, it will be a post-June 1 designation, which saves money against the salary cap. It’s a semi-surprising move but one that sheds some light on the Bears’ future plans.
Why was he released?
As former coach John Fox would say, the best ability is availability. It started with the groin injury that forced Burton to sit out the Bears’ playoff game against the Eagles on Jan. 6. 2019. He was added to the injury report the night before the game.
Burton later required sports hernia surgery in the offseason. But the issues persisted into the following season. Not only was he slow to return, but he later suffered a calf injury that landed him on injured reserve on Nov. 16 after appearing in eight games. General manager Ryan Pace later revealed that Burton underwent surgery on his hip, which was related to the sports hernia.
Of course, Jimmy Graham’s arrival this year in free agency didn’t help Burton’s position on the team, either. Graham signed a two-year deal that’s worth $9 million guaranteed and includes bonuses for Pro Bowl and All Pro honors.
There are reasons to question Graham’s signing, starting with his age of 33 and that the guarantees of his contract span two years. But his durability isn’t a question. He’s played in every game the past four seasons.
How should Burton be viewed?
In 2018, the Bears signed Burton to a four-year, $32 million contract, including $22 million guaranteed. He was the first roster addition that Pace and coach Matt Nagy discussed after Nagy was hired. They needed a “U” tight end for Nagy’s offense and Burton had experience with it having played for Eagles coach Doug Pederson.
On the field, Burton set career highs across the board with 54 catches, 569 receiving yards and six touchdowns during the regular season.
But it was a feel-good story that didn’t last long.
In the Bears’ biggest game in years, Burton sat and the shock of it was significant — not only within the fanbase. His absence changed the Bears’ game plans.
Burton’s groin injury was real — the Bears’ medical tests revealed that later — but a new narrative set in. The curious nature and timing of it resulted in questions about Burton and his open battle with anxiety. Then came his injury problems last season.
From a financial standpoint, there was no good time to release Burton, but by designating him a post-June 1 release, the Bears will save $2.8 million of cap space per Over the Cap. He had $4 million guaranteed this season and will still count as $5.75 million of dead money. Burton won’t get his $100,000 workout bonus.
So what’s next?
Much is already expected of Graham. He’s the Bears’ best tight end — with or without Burton.
In a recent conference call, Nagy said he sees Graham as a “6-6 playmaker that you can get some mismatches with.” Nagy saw that on tape, preferring to visualize what he could be in his offense instead of what he did for the Packers as his role and playing time were scaled back.
“When you talk to him as well, you understand the knowledge that he has for the game,” Nagy said. “He’s very, very motivated right now, which I love. So it’s just a fit for us.”
To a lesser extent, the same applies to Demetrius Harris, another free-agent addition who has past experience with Nagy. Harris is expected to fill the traditional in-line role.
With Burton gone, the Bears now have nine tight ends under contract. Other notable changes will come, too. Adam Shaheen’s place on the team is definitely in question.
The draft also is next week. It’s not considered a great year for tight ends. But with Nagy, the Bears will be picky when it comes to finding their next “U” — a nuanced role that typically requires time to learn and adjust to, given all of the responsibilities.
(Photo: Rich Graessle / Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The Rams were interviewing Tight Ends (and I'm not talking about Mcvay's girlfriend) before the societal distancing crackdown. It makes me wonder are they ready to move on from Gerald Everett? Are they planning on letting his contract run out and not sign him?
Or that they are covering their bases. We would logically be looking to upgrade the #3 TE at minimum and the group as a whole.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Pass on Burton...Reason, he's always hurt.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I have to weigh in as Burton’s pretend agent. Don’t sign a one year prove-it deal on a team that already has two better players in front of you at the position.

oldnotdead

Legend
Why? The Rams have two of the most underrated TE's in the NFL. Either one can hurt a defense and Everett is a legit deep threat. They need to focus on keeping Everett after the years of development they have put into him.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams wanted a TE that was talented, but would only play a certain amount of games for the team because of injury, they would go out and get Jordan Reed. Mcvay and Reed have worked together before, and I think that he would pick up the offense quicly.