Would we have taken Watkins if...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tbux

Rookie
You think Fisher would have taken Watkins if he knew Martin would have been there at 13? very interesting question because I think the plan was to get one of the top 4 OT's for sure. I think there were many rumors of the OTs all going quickly (see Mayocks mock for eg) and I think he didn't want to gamble, or have to trade up. Just my two cents- I base this on the reports of how much they loved Watkins (obviously they loved Robinson too) and the fact we tried to trade up for Martin- so makes you wonder if he knew Martin would have been there, what would the 2 pick would have been? hmmmm

that said, LOVE our top 2 picks- cant argue it- and it is pretty clear what we will be doing this year. Props to Memphis - who I have been battling so to speak on two sites for months now- and he was correct imo on the direction of the team. I have to give credit when it is due. Yes I am disappointed in not getting a player like Watkins, but we may have the nastiest D in the NFL- surely the best front 4.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. They had the #2 choice which gave them the pick of the litter. They chose the player they thought was the best talent. We'll see if they were right.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I don't think so. They denied a trade to make sure that he was going to get G. Rob... That was their guy, not Watkins.

FRO

Legend
I don't think so. I think Fisher wants to pound the ball down people's throats. Robinson helps us do that. They make it sound like there was separation between Robinson and the next guy. There was also separation between Clowney and Robinson. Rams staying true to their board.

tbux

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think so. I think Fisher wants to pound the ball down people's throats. Robinson helps us do that. They make it sound like there was separation between Robinson and the next guy. There was also separation between Clowney and Robinson. Rams staying true to their board.

yeah I am playing a little hindsight- just thinking out loud. I think if he knew for a fact Martin would be at 13- Im not so sure he wouldn't have taken Watkins- no way to know of course- but again, I think we did fantastic so far.

FRO

Legend
yeah I am playing a little hindsight- just thinking out loud. I think if he knew for a fact Martin would be at 13- Im not so sure he wouldn't have taken Watkins- no way to know of course- but again, I think we did fantastic so far.
I would have. I liked Watkins a lot.

tbux

Rookie
I would have. I liked Watkins a lot.

I think he obviously had Robinson higher than Watkins- but he obviously loved Martin too. Thing is, he was FORTUNATE Donald was there- who do we take if he wasn't? Dennard? I would be pre draft if you asked would you want Watkins and Martin, or Robinson and dennard- he takes the SW and Martin. Luckily it worked out great- and we fortified both lines significantly.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yet we haven't taken a single WR in this class...

FRO

Legend
Get Martin. Build up your line and dominate at the LOS. Donald shouldn't have been there. Words can't describe how excited I am to watch him play. A DT who ran a 4.68 40 with 35 bench reps to go along with dominating tape. Man what's not to like.

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO it's an impossible question because it's impossible for Fisher to know.

Chances are pretty good that if the Rams selected Watkins at #2 many of the picks and/or trades afterwards may not have happened. On top of that teams would already have a pretty strong idea of whom the Rams would be targeting and would probably attempt to move up ahead of the Rams #13 selection.

tbux

Rookie

I don't think that has any bearing on my premise- for me- it was Watkins, Evans or bust- I don't think the others were worth taking over a Donald. then we HAD to address our secondary- so I get why we didn't. And after that, no significant upgrade over what we have. JMO

tbux

Rookie
IMO it's an impossible question because it's impossible for Fisher to know.

Chances are pretty good that if the Rams selected Watkins at #2 many of the picks and/or trades afterwards may not have happened. On top of that teams would already have a pretty strong idea of whom the Rams would be targeting and would probably attempt to move up ahead of the Rams #13 selection.

very fair point.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I find it interesting they tried to get Martin after picking up Robinson.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If Fisher preferred Watkins, he would have taken him and got OL help elsewhere. One guy wouldn't have made a difference.

After Watkins and maybe Evans was gone, I'm glad they didn't. It's not and never has been about just adding 1 guy to the receivers we have. It's been about adding a #1. Fisher decided to go a different route. Once that decision was made, it's not a surprise at all that we took no one (except maybe a depth flyer later.)