Would Rams be reaching for Blackmon?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Mike Sando
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... r-blackmon

Jerry from Sacramento reached out this week to take issue with Justin Blackmon as a projected first-round draft choice for his favorite team, the St. Louis Rams.

"He's a good player, not a great player," Jerry wrote. "At No. 6, the Rams need a great player."

blackmonstats.jpg

Jerry makes a worthwhile point in relation to the sixth overall choice. The word "good" resonated with me because one of the draft analysts I've followed over the years, Nolan Nawrocki, recently used the same term to describe Blackmon in his 2012 Pro Football Weekly Draft Preview.

"A good, accomplished football player," Nawrocki wrote, nonetheless projecting Blackmon as a top-10 talent.

Jerry thinks the Rams would come out ahead targeting Stanford guard David DeCastro, who scouts have compared to seven-time Pro Bowler Steve Hutchinson. He thinks Blackmon would then fall far enough in the first round for the Rams to consider trading up from the second round into range to select him in the 20s.

"I see a lot of people saying the Rams will take Blackmon but that is purely filling a need and not marrying need and value," Jerry wrote. "With the new CBA in place, drafting a guard high is now reasonable. Besides, I don’t even think Blackmon is the best WR in the draft. It is Michael Floyd. Just give him a free chauffeur and he’ll stay out of trouble."

In a best-case scenario, the Rams' first-round pick would start right away and score touchdowns. Blackmon would presumably fit that profile, but what if DeCastro or someone else were an appreciably better player? That is the question Jerry is raising.

The Rams' obvious need for playmaking help could tempt them to reach in this draft. As the Rams build up their roster, they should enjoy greater flexibility in the draft. They recently signed former Philadelphia Eagles receiver Steve Smith. They have a visit scheduled with Jerome Simpson, free-agent receiver from the Cincinnati Bengals, Jim Thomas reports.

As for Blackmon, the chart from ESPN Stats & Information shows his production falling from 2010 to 2011 on passes traveling at least 20 yards past the line of scrimmage.

However, Blackmon caught 30 of 36 red zone passes thrown to him in 2011, scoring 12 touchdowns on those plays. His 20 touchdown receptions on red zone throws are the most among college players since 2010.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Who the hell is Jerry from Sacramento? Some stats say he's a "reach" but his other stats say production. Over analyzation overload!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:
Who the hell is Jerry from Sacramento? Some stats say he's a "reach" but his other stats say production. Over analyzation overload!
Shoot. I thought everybody knew Jerry from Sacramento. It's Jerry, man.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Lets say we have a shot at Blackmon, and then you add in other options like a DT (Poe, Cox), or OL (Reiff, DeCastro).

When I look at those players, I believe DeCastro is the BPA because of how good a prospect he is. Hes the best Guard in this draft, and one of the better ones to come out in recent years.

I really like this DT class but I have no idea who will even be the 1st one drafted, but I think it comes down to Cox or Poe (I think Brockers falls in the draft). I dont think either of them are a better prospect than Blackmon because Blackmon has the great production 2 years at OSU. Could you say either of those DTs have a higher ceiling? Is that a good risk to take at #6?

I cant say that I believe Blackmon will be looked at as the best WR in this draft down the road (I think he is the best WR prospect tho), but I do firmly believe he will be a good, consistent player at the very least. Could be very good for us because of our current WR and QB situation. I dont have any issue with taking him at #6, and the financial commitment is no longer such a big issue.

Ugh. 21 days away...

steferfootball

Starter
X said:
Angry Ram said:
:lmao:

Anyways, DeCastro intrigues me. I'd like a complete friggin beast on the interior of this line.

I'd be cool with trading down and trying to get Blackmon or as a contigency DeCastro.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
X said:
Angry Ram said:

Tom-And-Jerry-tom-and-jerry-11065129-463-503.gif

Can't trust that damn mouse!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's the wrong Jerry.

Nutty.jpg

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You're both wrong. Jerry isn't from Sacremento at all. I can prove it; I've got a picture.

jerrywestdriving.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Memento said:
You're both wrong. Jerry isn't from Sacremento at all. I can prove it; I've got a picture.

jerrywestdriving.jpg

THAT Jerry I'll listen to.