Woman pays $1330 for apples thinking she was buying two iPho

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
At over $650 apiece, these have to be among the most expensive apples ever sold to an individual. Unfortunately for the buyer, she thought she was purchasing something a bit pricier than a ripe red McIntosh – an Apple iPhone.

Yup, it is another scam story involving a mischievous seller, a gullible buyer, and a sleek, shiny Apple product. A 21-year-old woman from Brisbane, Australia was interested in purchasing two iPhones so she posted an ad on Gumtree (a Craigslist alternative). Sure enough, she was promptly contacted by another woman who offered to sell her a couple of them iPhones for 1500 aussie dollars (about $1335). The two met at a McDonald's parking lot where the buyer was handed two sealed boxes, presumably containing one iPhone each, after paying the said amount of cash for them. Yet the woman didn't open the boxes until she got back home when it was already too late to ask for a refund. All she got were two apples – one in each box.

This isn't the first time we hear someone getting tricked by a scammer in such fashion. In June of this year, a British man purchased what he thought was an Apple iPad only to find a bunch of potatoes upon opening the packaging. And back in 2011, a 22-year-old woman from South Carolina gave $180 for what turned out to be an iPad-shaped piece of wood with an Apple logo slapped on the back.

So as these stories demonstrate, buying a smartphone or tablet from a non-authorized dealer can be risky, especially if the deal seems too good to be true. Always make sure that you're really getting what you're paying for, unless you want your unfortunate story to end up in the news

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Woma...s-thinking-she-was-buying-two-iPhones_id46060

Guy Mansworth

Rookie
Re: Woman pays $1330 for apples thinking she was buying two

I don't understand why she didn't check the boxes... I remember hearing about someone accidentally buying just the box to an Xbox360 when they first came out for about $600 off Ebay.

fastcat

Pro Bowler

Lmao, you would be surprised how gullible people are. I was selling a car a few years ago and posted an ad in the autotrader. This girl called me and wanted to come see it Si I gave her my address and we Hung up. She called back about 15min later and asked for my full name. I asked why and she said for the cashiers check. I gave it to her, she pulls up about 30min later and hands me a $2500 check... I had to ask her if she wanted to test drive it first. I mean she didn't even look at the car or even start it up. And she also wasn't spending her own money either, lol.

Another incident is when I sold a car to a co worker, she didn't test drive it either. When she got enough money to buy the car she called me, I went to her house, she got in the passenger side of "her" new car, handed my $2200 cash, and I had to ask her if she wanted to drive it.... Lmao she said no, so we went to the dmv to get plates, (she bought insurance before she drove the car or paid for the car) and I dropped myself off at my house then she finally got in the drivers seat and drove off.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Psycho_X

Legend

People that stupid don't deserve money anyway.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

That's just dumb.
I don't even pull out of Arby's without checking the bag to make sure I got everything I paid for.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Still a sick individual to steal from people like that.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Agreed cgi but at the same time if your going to trust a complete stranger a fool and their money is soon parted

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Well aren't all legitimate computer purchases conducted in the parking lot of a McD's? Sorry CGI - some people don't deserve my sympathy. I would never do anything like this but the buyer had to think they were getting some black market deal or something in the first place. If she is both stupid AND shady, my give a damn ain't working for her.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Hahahahaha that's hilarious. Just buy the stupid thing in a store.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

For all I know this person (the buyer) might not be smart... But...

That doesn't make what that person (the seller) did to her is justified. They intentionally ripped her off, and that's wrong.

Maybe the buyer is retarded? Maybe she believes in treating people as you expect to be treated? At the end of the day she paid for something and (the seller) stole from her.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... it's the risk of buying out of retail. Still wrong and the seller is the idiot in my book!

This kind of BS was far less prevalent in the 1950s when morals were taught to kids.

/ end rant /

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

While i agree the seller is an idiot as well i disagree that the lady should just expect a 1300 dollar purchase is legit when not bought at retail.

And to the fact that this wasn't as prevalent in the 50s is bunk in my opinion. Scams artist have been prevalent throughout history just look at snake oil salesman and telemarketing. Thr only real difference between now and back then is the media we have to learn about it..

Things seem more prevalent today because we have thousands of ways to hear about it instead of 1

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

fastcat said:
Lmao, you would be surprised how gullible people are. I was selling a car a few years ago and posted an ad in the autotrader. This girl called me and wanted to come see it Si I gave her my address and we Hung up. She called back about 15min later and asked for my full name. I asked why and she said for the cashiers check. I gave it to her, she pulls up about 30min later and hands me a $2500 check... I had to ask her if she wanted to test drive it first. I mean she didn't even look at the car or even start it up. And she also wasn't spending her own money either, lol.

Another incident is when I sold a car to a co worker, she didn't test drive it either. When she got enough money to buy the car she called me, I went to her house, she got in the passenger side of "her" new car, handed my $2200 cash, and I had to ask her if she wanted to drive it.... Lmao she said no, so we went to the dmv to get plates, (she bought insurance before she drove the car or paid for the car) and I dropped myself off at my house then she finally got in the drivers seat and drove off.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Next time I have a car to sell, will you sell it for me? I'll give you 10% :cheese:

CGI_Ram said:
For all I know this person (the buyer) might not be smart... But...

That doesn't make what that person (the seller) did to her is justified. They intentionally ripped her off, and that's wrong.

Maybe the buyer is retarded? Maybe she believes in treating people as you expect to be treated? At the end of the day she paid for something and (the seller) stole from her.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... it's the risk of buying out of retail. Still wrong and the seller is the idiot in my book!

This kind of BS was far less prevalent in the 1950s when morals were taught to kids.

/ end rant /
My dad once did (actually, more than once) a very big deal on a handshake. I can recall talking to him about it and why he didn't get a written agreement, and his response was that 'sometimes you just gotta trust people'.... 'yeah, sometimes you'll lose, but the alternative is ugly if you follow-it-through to its logical outcome.'