Witherspoon Rejoins Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramsrams

UDFA
Little known factoid.

Spoon demanded a trade after wading in the cesspool that was the Rams.

The source for my comment shall remain anonymous,(and I don't blame you if you're saying "Who's this ramsrams jerk?"), but it's unimpeachable.

A great statement on the culture change. Spoon wants to play for the Rams now.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Re: Witherspoon Rejoins Rams-PD Article

albefree69 said:
RamFan503 thinking I could...gasp!..be wrong again:
And I predict you will be wrong again. And it will be on this issue. :razzed: I bet that not only will Will make the 53, he will make some big plays for us. I, of course, could be wrong too but I don't think Fish brings in a 33 year old vet unless he envisions him not only making the cut but making a decent contribution. Fish knows what he's getting in WW. I also think Fish has too much respect for veteran players to just have them come in to possibly compete for a spot. He is here to mentor and play - not to fill a spot on the tryout squad. Just my guess.

You realize what you are saying right? If Spoon makes the team and didn't do it by winning a competition among the other LBs what does that say to the other players? What does that say to the FO? Every player should have to compete for their job.

I don't doubt that Fisher is hoping that Spoon is an upgrade. Coaches take those kind of educated gambles all the time. Frequently they don't work out like they'd want. Fisher knows very well what kind of player Spoon used to be and he's hoping there's still something in the tank.

Ogletree doesn't need another coach who might not even be on the same page as the one we already are paying to do that stuff.

Of course I do. My assertion is based on the idea that Fish already KNOWS he's an upgrade not only on the field but as a mentor to the young LBs. Of course he will still have to demonstrate it in camp. I'm not saying the job will be simply handed to him. But IMO he's certainly good enough to earn one of the back-up spots.

There is also a big difference between a coach and a mentor. I'm thinking Fish et al aren't going to sit back and let ANY player undermine the coaches. Bit of a red herring - don't you think?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
ramsrams said:
Little known factoid.

Spoon demanded a trade after wading in the cesspool that was the Rams.

The source for my comment shall remain anonymous,(and I don't blame you if you're saying "Who's this ramsrams jerk?"), but it's unimpeachable.

A great statement on the culture change. Spoon wants to play for the Rams now.

Who is this ramsrams jerk? :7up:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

RamFan503 thinking somethings fishy in NH:

Of course I do. My assertion is based on the idea that Fish already KNOWS he's an upgrade not only on the field but as a mentor to the young LBs. Of course he will still have to demonstrate it in camp. I'm not saying the job will be simply handed to him. But IMO he's certainly good enough to earn one of the back-up spots.

There is also a big difference between a coach and a mentor. I'm thinking Fish et al aren't going to sit back and let ANY player undermine the coaches. Bit of a red herring - don't you think?

I disagree that Fisher KNOWS anything about the Spoon of today. He knows a lot about the Spoon of yesterday though. Of course he thinks there's a good chance of him being an upgrade. The problem is, you only need to lose that one step and it can be very sudden. Good one year and not so good next year. Speed is essential for an OLB and when you talk about him backing up Ogletree I just don't get it. It's Ogletree's quickness and speed that is what makes him special. He's not a suitable sub at all IMO. Not for Ogletree and probably not even for Dunbar. Possibly for JL but as I said, we have Hull already.

How did PFF rate Spoon's performance last year? Not well and that's with Spoon playing MLB in a 3-4.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mentor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mentor</a>
Mentor: To advise or train (someone). 2. a : a trusted counselor or guide
b : tutor, coach

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

albefree69 said:
How did PFF rate Spoon's performance last year? Not well and that's with Spoon playing MLB in a 3-4.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mentor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mentor</a>
Mentor: To advise or train (someone). 2. a : a trusted counselor or guide
b : tutor, coach

Dunno how they rated him. Nor do I know what criteria they used. I'd rather trust Fish's criteria anyway. Guess we'll see but I'm going with that he's an upgrade and his football smarts will help him win battles. I don't think he is being brought in as an every down player even if someone ahead of him goes down. My bet is that he'll be a situational player and will be used to spell players in order to keep everyone fresh.

As far as the definition of mentor.... You have the right to bear arms. Does that mean that bears should fear for their limbs? There's a big difference between having bear arms and carrying a gun - no? The way you were referring to WW's potential as a mentor was to take the place of a coach or to coach Tree differently than Fisher's system would dictate. That is not the kind of mentor they would be bringing in nor would they allow him to "coach" in that respect.

Slow time of year so we can probably bat this thing around even more. Try and get it over the net this time. :tooth: :lmao: :cmon:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

RamFan503 needing the complete definition:
I'd rather trust Fish's criteria anyway. Guess we'll see but I'm going with that he's an upgrade and his football smarts will help him win battles. I don't think he is being brought in as an every down player even if someone ahead of him goes down. My bet is that he'll be a situational player and will be used to spell players in order to keep everyone fresh.

As far as the definition of mentor.... You have the right to bear arms. Does that mean that bears should fear for their limbs? (No but limbs should fear bears) There's a big difference between having bear arms and carrying a gun - no? The way you were referring to WW's potential as a mentor was to take the place of a coach or to coach Tree differently than Fisher's system would dictate. That is not the kind of mentor they would be bringing in nor would they allow him to "coach" in that respect.

Slow time of year so we can probably bat this thing around even more. Try and get it over the net this time. :tooth: :lmao: :cmon:

I do put a lot of trust in Snisher and most of what you said in blue could be correct. Doesn't mean I'm not right about this though.

Still, there's no doubt that I'm pretty much out here on a limb by my lonesome on this but I can't change my opinion just because it's not the consensus can I? :lol: You're probably going to end up right about this but It's an opinion that I've developed over the last ten years of watching us pick up over the hill mentors and how its turned out for us. We'll see but obviously I hope you're correct about this. Just like I did all the other times.

I would say that the difference in our definitions of the word mentor is based on what appears to be our difference of opinion about the meaning of what "to coach" means. To me that entails much more than just the physical stuff. The mental stuff is all part of the coaching too. That's why the word coach is one of the meanings of mentor. Football smarts usually help coaches to win battles. The grunts need actual skills.

I do however, understand the meaning of the word as you're using it. I was adding additional layers to the meaning while not disagreeing with what you were saying about it. I just don't put very much weight on the mythical benefits of having an ancient Obi-Wan Kenobi on your team when you already have Yoda there. I added my thoughts about mentoring to the discussion to preempt you from bringing up the point.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

albefree69 said:
I added my thoughts about mentoring to the discussion to preempt you from bringing up the point.

Pretty much dashed THAT hope - didn't I? :lmao:

Yeah - I get the frustration over past old guys. We both hope Fisher has a much keener feel than past rookie HCs for who will actually help the team. I just really always liked Spoon and thought it was another eff-up when we shipped him off. I don't think there is any way that our coaches are looking at him for an every down back-up. But maybe they are. I think what we are going to get is a guy who can come in on certain blitz packages and sub in for several snaps per game. Hell - maybe I'm w-w-w-w- :huhidk: w-w-w-w-w-w-w... :huhidk: partially incorrect. :7up:

And careful hanging out on that limb. Bears can climb trees.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
The good news is the rookies show up tomorrow and by Wednesday TC will have started and many of these questions will start getting answers and many of our doubts will be resolved.

“There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.”
Gautama Buddha

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Now officially, welcome back Spoon!

Now I can wear this gem on more occasions again!
BPgXJeMCcAAFIBp.jpg:thumb

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
biggame1190 said:
Now officially, welcome back Spoon!

Now I can wear this gem on more occasions again!
BPgXJeMCcAAFIBp.jpg:thumb

Ha! Never thought about that. Some people can pull their old jerseys out again.

Daren Bates LB is going to have to give up Spoon's old number!

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

Dr.RamsFanCK said:
Dagonet said:
Dr.RamsFanCK said:
CGI_Ram said:
I know Witherspoon had a reputation in St. Louis as a good guy off the field. I hope he makes it as a backup and no doubt will be a good influence for Ogletree.

Nice outlook! Didn't even think of this signing from that angle...but man this is the depth we needed....he can line up at any LB spot, might as well be a 33 year old Swiss Army knife...and seeing that he won't be on the field a lot I have the feeling he will play very well this season"

A 33 year old Swiss Army Knife.... :cool: I like that. Touche brother.

I agree his age shouldn't be much of a factor. Not only by him not being on the field so much and in limited packages, but also where he stated his body still feels good every morning.

I can relate to that as I am almost 50 and get up every morning and go throw steel around. :cool: Age is also a state of mind as long as the body is cooperating. He'll definitely be a plus with mentoring Olgetree and others. Kind of like a 2nd coach?

Is that DAG!!? I didn't realize that you migrated over heretoo :lmao: How've you been brother!?

Yes it tis me. Been a member here since Sept 10, 2011. Just mainly been a lurker, but had a great time in the chat room here during the draft. All good here man, just been busy. Hope all is well with you CK. You have to check out the chat room here. It rocks as the members do too. Good to see you here. :cool: