With Wiz to Jax, Rams check center options/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

With Wiz to Jax, Rams check center options

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...d-be97-525cd3e3cb61.html#.VTRF1ApC0ZY.twitter

The Rams have had their eyes on Stefen Wisniewski for a while, and maintained interest in him even as the free-agent center made visits to one team after another this offseason.

But with Saturday's news that Wisniewski had signed with Jacksonville, the Rams must now look elsewhere for a starting center in 2015.

It could very well come in-house, because the team has three returning players on the roster whose primary position is center: Barrett Jones, Tim Barnes, and Demetrius Rhaney.

Given his pedigree as an award-winning college player at Alabama and a fourth-round draft pick in 2013, Jones would have to rate as the front-runner.

But slowed by offseason surgeries each of the past two seasons, Jones has had only a handful of snaps on offense in NFL regular-season play. Barnes, the University of Missouri product who recently re-signed with the Rams, did start four games in 2013 after an injury to then starter Scott Wells.

Rhaney, meanwhile, was a seventh-round draft pick last season _ the answer to the trivia question, who did the Rams draft after taking Michael Sam? But he missed the entire 2014 season after suffering a training camp knee injury.

There are some starting options remaining at center in free agency, but none are nearly as appealing or nearly as young as Wisniewski, 26, who signed a one-year deal with the Jaguars for a modest $2.5 million.

In Jacksonville, Wisniewski is re-united with his former offensive coordinator at Oakland, Greg Olson. (Olson was Rams offensive coordinator under Scott Linehan in 2006 and '07.)

Chris Myers, most recently with Houston, is on the market; as is Samson Satele, formerly of Miami; and Lyle Sendlein, who was released by Arizona earlier this offseason. Myers, who turns 34 in September, has 128 regular-season starts on his resume. Satele, 30, has 114 career starts. Sendlein, 31, has 109.

The Rams, who have had at least nine offensive linemen in for pre-draft visits this month including Florida State center Cameron Erving, currently must replace starters at center, guard, and right tackle from last season.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Either the Rams weren't that interested or he didn't want to come to STL because he didn't get that much money and only signed a one year deal.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm glad we didn't waste cap space on him, good player but he'd have eaten up all our cash - I don't think Centre is as much of a need as RT / OG personally...

thehammer

Rookie
only free agent I wanted was Wisniewski because he had the most talent(talent matters) but wasn't meant to be.. time to give Rhaney, Jones and Barnes a shot......
add Reynolds has his best(and very solid ) grades starting at guard...per pff..posted after his signing he could easily become the ram new starter at guard.

think after May 5th fa signings don't count against your possible compensation awards so doubt we sign a center, tackle a or a guard till after that date. Draft a ot in the 1st and a developmental lineman in the 3rd/5th and they will be fine

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
You would think Barrett Jones would be prepared to step in and give it a shot this season. If he is injured again or sucks to bad to get in the game then why even retain him on the roster anymore? With the bar set by Wells, he really doesn't have to even be close to average to be a significant upgrade.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
My main concern about Jones is, why did he scarcely see the field on game days? Was Wells and Barnes that much better? Or were there that many injuries? Either way its a concern with him.

Stel

Starter
only free agent I wanted was Wisniewski because he had the most talent(talent matters) but wasn't meant to be..

He was the top of my list, too, but his contract surprises me. I figured he'd get something in the 4-5 year range at $6 mil or so per year. Seems really strange that his best deal was a 1 year contract with JAX at only $2.5 mil. There must have been some serious concerns about his ability to recover from the surgery and play at a high level again. If he plays great, JAX will be competing with everyone else to sign him again.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
The Rams have had their eyes on Stefen Wisniewski for a while, and maintained interest in him even as the free-agent center made visits to one team after another this offseason.
I saw a list of teams Wiz visited and the Rams were not one of them. So I question the statement that the Rams had their eyes on him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My main concern about Jones is, why did he scarcely see the field on game days? Was Wells and Barnes that much better? Or were there that many injuries? Either way its a concern with him.
Yes, there were a ton of injuries & health issues going on with our 4 centers very early in 2014.

Its always been my position since last year that Snead has positioned the team well enough @ the center post with Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones & Demetrius Rhaney. The team just did not need nor did it have any real reason to go out & overspend on a UFA.

The only real interest I had in Stefen Wisniewski was for him to resolve the real issue @ LEFT OG post, NOT play & start @ center. I never saw any significant upgrade between SW & a healthy Tim Barnes.

I will grant you that Tim Barnes 2014 season performance through-out TC & pre season while working as the first center was not what I had seen in pre seasons past 2012 & 2013. But we have learned since then that Barnes was far from being 100% early thru late season of 2014. It should say something that TB remained @ his post hurting while Scott Wells(illness), Barrett Jones(back surgery) & later Rhaney (knee/IR) all had their health issues.

As it stands now I see zero need at this time to add a UFA center to this team & prefer to ride with what Paul Boudreau {PB}had prepared & set @ the table @ center for the Rams team in 2015 season.

Rams do have 3 youthful centers ready to go currently, when the dust settles & PB is set as to which of the 3 will start...then the other non starting centers reserves will be tasked into heavy work @ other needed OL positions. If as I suspect Barnes will win the starting OC post then Jones & Rhaney will play important roles early. Rhaney has played started @ both OG & OC in college. So he could add to the depth @ OG besides reserve OC. Rams (by far) most decorated & awarded OL'er Jones had 25 starts @ ORG, 11 starts @ ORT then OLT & finally 14 starts @ OC for 50 starts for Alabama! The large hands & extra long arms of Jones may come in handy as a back up to Robinson @ OLT & @ ORT if Barksdale lands elsewhere behind the newly signed UFA ORT Garrett Reynolds.

I also feel that Brandon Washington may surprise us if he is left in @ Left OG post. Not saying he is starting material here but will be a decent reserve @ that post. PB has been grooming him now for 3 season & BW is now going into his 4th season with PB.

Looks to me that the core OL reserve cadre is in decent condition with only one serious need being a needed reserve OLT or swing OT. The real issue bona fide concerns are in the starting OL where a upgrade in talent is the need @ OG & RT. It will be very hard for Snead to fill that tall order with Fisher demanding defense & as many here suggest looking for them later in the draft as in years past.

Last edited:

Greg Stone

Rookie
I'm with BonifayRam. Brad Jones will either be a good starting center, a guy who can back up all five line positions, both or continue to have bad luck with injuries.

Right tackle is my only real concern. We need to draft a talented tackle and guard even if Barksdale is resigned.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
It would be great if Rhaney turns into a viable option if for no reason other than he seems like a really good guy. He came across really well in the post draft press conference talking about, amongst other things, how his mom and grandmother passed away on the same day. It must take some plums to get over that and make something of yourself.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Who needs starting caliber offensive linemen? Not the rams apparently! Im tired of having a terrible oline and the rams have done nothing to improve it.