With Rodger Saffold out, Rams reshuffle O-line ... Again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
With Rodger Saffold out, Rams reshuffle offensive line ... again
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ffold-out-rams-reshuffle-offensive-line-again

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- When St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher announced last week that right guard Rodger Saffold would miss the rest of the season because of a pending shoulder surgery, it was clear the offensive line would have to make a change.

And there was no doubt that veteran Garrett Reynolds would step into a spot on the line, it was just a matter of where. Apparently, the answer to that question is left guard, not the right side spot vacated by Saffold. That means a likely shift back to the right side for rookie Jamon Brown.

Brown, a third-round pick out of Louisville, is no stranger to either spot after spending the offseason and most of the preseason at right guard before flipping to the left side for the first five games of the season.

"It’s not too bad," Brown said. "I take it all the way back to college. I’ve been playing both sides of the line, left tackle and right tackle. So it’s pretty much the same. Now it’s just all about mastering the technique at the right side."

That would mean Reynolds would head back over to the left side, the position he manned while Saffold recovered from the offseason shoulder surgery he had in January.

Brown said making the change now after five games on the left side would come with some challenges though it's nothing he's not prepared to handle.

"It can kind of play with your head," Brown said. "On the left side you’re used to certain plays and being the front side of the play now you’re on the right side and those plays you were the front side, now you’re the backside so it can get confusing at times. I think I do a pretty good job with it."

After a preseason in which the Rams had next to no stability on the offensive line, an upheaval of any sort now is far from ideal, especially considering that unit's struggles in the first five weeks. Of course, Saffold's injury left no choice in the matter, but the Rams are still seeking consistency from a group that entered the season as the team's biggest question mark.

At least in this move, Brown is going back to a spot in which he's familiar and puts him back next to right tackle Rob Havenstein.

"I’m very confident," Brown said. "It doesn’t skip a beat. I’ve worked with everybody in our room. It doesn’t really matter who I’ll be working with. I’ll do my part and I’m sure everybody else will do theirs."

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What the Rams are doing now after the loss of their top OL'er is making adjustments to fit the talent available to play. I sure see no big drama here. Garrett Reynolds plays very well @ OLG where he will assist Tim Barnes from that position. Jamon Brown was not moved to OLG earlier due to any issues he was having. The move of Jamon Brown to OLG was to place the struggling injured rusty Rodger Saffold back in his best playing position @ ORG. Now RS is on IR. Jamon Brown has played four OL positions in college he is versatile. Garrett Reynolds is also very versatile & has played 3 OL positions in the NFL now.

Looks like a bye week Boudreau adjustment fills the bill IMO. What Boudreau must do now is plan to get those four first yr reserve OL'ers into the game for some real experience. If something was to happen to Garrett Boudreau has zero NFL game experience on the bench. I would start working in at periods of time OG Cody Wichmann ASAP.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
What the Rams are doing now after the loss of their top OL'er is making adjustments to fit the talent available to play. I sure see no big drama here. Garrett Reynolds plays very well @ OLG where he will assist Tim Barnes from that position. Jamon Brown was not moved to OLG earlier due to any issues he was having. The move of Jamon Brown to OLG was to place the struggling injured rusty Rodger Saffold back in his best playing position @ ORG. Now RS is on IR. Jamon Brown has played four OL positions in college he is versatile. Garrett Reynolds is also very versatile & has played 3 OL positions in the NFL now.

Looks like a bye week Boudreau adjustment fills the bill IMO. What Boudreau must do now is plan to get those four first yr reserve OL'ers into the game for some real experience. If something was to happen to Garrett Boudreau has zero NFL game experience on the bench. I would start working in at periods of time OG Cody Wichmann ASAP.

I like your OL analysis, Bonifay.

We have the same take, anyway.

I see Reynolds as a quality bench player capable of finishing the year at LG.

A fine signing last offseason.

Hopefully, Boudreau can get some snaps for Wichmann, Rhaney, Williams, and Battle in mop up duty in these remaining 11 games. The experience could be crucial in our playoff run. See what I did there? Lol.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

Any clue boni on why the move? Does the left guard do different things? Like there is always a guard taping the center during the silent count...couldn't you do the same from the right side? Reminds me of the game when Reynolds went in for a few plays...like, to tell G-Rob what to look for...or something...then Brown went back in the game after a few plays....