With Initial Surge Over, Rams still can find FA Bargains

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really, really don't think this should be high on the priority list!!

It should be with the amount of games the Rams lost because of missed fgs.

Vikings, Ravens, whiners. 10 and 6 instead of 7 and 9.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I really, really don't think this should be high on the priority list!!
Kickers score points every game hopefully. I thought GZ might be a 10 year guy but he has been so inconsistent it is time to look around and see if there is someone ready to step in that can provide a stable kicking option.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Kickers score points every game hopefully. I thought GZ might be a 10 year guy but he has been so inconsistent it is time to look around and see if there is someone ready to step in that can provide a stable kicking option.
I'm not saying a kicker shouldn't be looked at, just that it's not among the Highest priorities!
We only have 6 picks at this point, and we need to look at QB's WR's, OG's, CB's, DT's, LB's, and TE's, that 7 right their!;)

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
[GALLERY=media, 69]Mike_lansford_1986_01_04 by BatteringRambo posted Mar 11, 2016 at 10:20 PM[/GALLERY[/GALLERY]

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'd take Boldin or White in a heartbeat. Maybe White just because I'm so sick of seeing Boldin's old ass in this division. Let him go back to the AFC or retire.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'd take Boldin or White in a heartbeat. Maybe White just because I'm so sick of seeing Boldin's old ass in this division. Let him go back to the AFC or retire.
White .... who are we talking about here? I am drawing a blank...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I understand the Rams believe in the draft more than free agency, however, right now they only have six draft choices so they might want to add a few more players. Also I'm a fan of the youth, but being the youngest team year in and year out usually does not post season make.

You need to have a balance,, but I agreed with the decisions to release Long, Laurinaitis & Cook, however, I expected adding a few more free agents. Plenty of time left and I expect Nick Foles to be traded (Dolphins or Chiefs) but I would like to see a couple of free agents added....We shall see how this plays out, but the Rams will not sign a QB because I don't believe they are interested in RGIII or Ryan Fitzpatrick and seem to be commited to Case Keenum.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
All the talk coming out of the Ram's was that they were going to try to sign and extend their own players. No big FA signings just like they said so nobody should be surprised. I said it before FA started that their would be a lot of upset and disappointed people in this forum. I expect maybe two small signings like Reynolds last year.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm not saying a kicker shouldn't be looked at, just that it's not among the Highest priorities!
We only have 6 picks at this point, and we need to look at QB's WR's, OG's, CB's, DT's, LB's, and TE's, that 7 right their!;)

OG is solid both starters and back ups, QB is not happening unless someone falls to us at 15, LB I thought could be a position to upgrade but there is still some talent available in FA, same for DT. TE I'm not sure how important it is going to be in this offense but there seem to be a couple of players in the draft who could be decent depth.

I know the FO will not come out and say it because they would give away team secrets for the draft but I think they are a lot more comfortable with the players they have than we are. I was hoping they would maybe go for Ladarius Green and who knows maybe they did and he wanted to play for the Steelers? That's another thing about FA we don't really know who they have talked to and what was offered and in some cases we never will.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All the talk coming out of the Ram's was that they were going to try to sign and extend their own players. No big FA signings just like they said so nobody should be surprised. I said it before FA started that their would be a lot of upset and disappointed people in this forum. I expect maybe two small signings like Reynolds last year.
And not utilize all the cap room? Seems like a strange methodology to me

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
And not utilize all the cap room? Seems like a strange methodology to me

Resigning their players will cost cap room. The Rams have about 25 million left this year after their first wave of players resignings. They need 10-13 million for the draft and in season reserves.

Tavon is arguably priority number 1 because his 5th year option is about 11 million which is unreasonable. He is due for a big raise which will eat some cap.

Ogletree's 5th year option is more reasonable, but better to get him locked up sooner than later as a core player.

Brockers also due for an extension that wont hurt as much cap wise because he is already playing under a 5th year option and will receive a moderate raise.

Lower down the list is TJ and its hard to say if that will be harder or easier to get done because he hasn't played all 16 games in his career. However, as a USC kid with strong ties to the area, probably a future captain, and the remaining impact safety left from last year I think the Rams will make him a priority.

I haven't even factored in Donald's mega deal because we have a little more time on our side. Demoff has even admitted he has sucked signing other peoples players. When you consider all these things it shouldn't be surprising the Rams opt to resign their own guys and play it safe with outside options on short term or cheaper deals.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Resigning their players will cost cap room. The Rams have about 25 million left this year after their first wave of players resignings. They need 10-13 million for the draft and in season reserves.

Tavon is arguably priority number 1 because his 5th year option is about 11 million which is unreasonable. He is due for a big raise which will eat some cap.

Ogletree's 5th year option is more reasonable, but better to get him locked up sooner than later as a core player.

Brockers also due for an extension that wont hurt as much cap wise because he is already playing under a 5th year option and will receive a moderate raise.

Lower down the list is TJ and its hard to say if that will be harder or easier to get done because he hasn't played all 16 games in his career. However, as a USC kid with strong ties to the area, probably a future captain, and the remaining impact safety left from last year I think the Rams will make him a priority.

I haven't even factored in Donald's mega deal because we have a little more time on our side. Demoff has even admitted he has sucked signing other peoples players. When you consider all these things it shouldn't be surprising the Rams opt to resign their own guys and play it safe with outside options on short term or cheaper deals.
That will be on next year's cap though.
This was the year we finally had some room

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
That will be on next year's cap though.
This was the year we finally had some room

ya but they still get a raise this year and that counts against our current cap in addition to future cap charges. The rams have a decent amount of cap space this year and a ton next year. So it makes sense to front load contracts while they have space so they aren't struggling to fit donald in when it comes up. Additionally how Demoff structures contract is usually pay as you go so most of the guarantees come on the front end.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't even factored in Donald's mega deal because we have a little more time on our side. Demoff has even admitted he has sucked signing other peoples players.

a couple of things. i don't think donald is gonna be a happy camper if the rams don't extend him after his 3rd season. when you're pretty much the best player at your position midway through your rookie season you earn the right to get paid appropriately pretty much as soon as it is legally possible, which would be the next offseason. don't want any bad blood there and you want this guy for life. secondly, what does demoff have to do with the quality of fa players? that's snead's and fisher's job. he's just there to work out the financial details after snead tells him how much they want to pay them. i'm putting that statement down to him cracking a joke. a cruel joke for all concerened with the way the rams have squandered their money on FAs but still a joke.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
a couple of things. i don't think donald is gonna be a happy camper if the rams don't extend him after his 3rd season. when you're pretty much the best player at your position midway through your rookie season you earn the right to get paid appropriately pretty much as soon as it is legally possible, which would be the next offseason. don't want any bad blood there and you want this guy for life. secondly, what does demoff have to do with the quality of fa players? that's snead's and fisher's job. he's just there to work out the financial details after snead tells him how much they want to pay them. i'm putting that statement down to him cracking a joke. a cruel joke for all concerened with the way the rams have squandered their money on FAs but still a joke.

You are right Rams would probably try to extend him after this season, but that plays into my point even more. You have to factor that huge cap number into negotiations this year by getting some of that Ogltree, Austin, and TJ money + negotiations out of the way.

I think they all play their role in the FA process. Fisher and Snead scout a guy and tell Demoff they want so sign him, but Demoff handles alot of the negotiation and valuation. Did they overvalue Jake Long an older tackle with injury history? Did they overvalue Scott Wells an older center? Yes in both regards. There are also scenarios where fisher is more to blame like Cook and Finnegan where Fish says go get my guys and Demoff is willing to overpay because Fish has more info on them than the typical FA. Ill chalk those mistakes up to early organization growing pains because we have been more disciplined in the FA market the past few years not exceeding the value we have set on a player ie Saffold's initial raider offer, Jenks, and Rodney no matter how badly Fisher wants to keep them.