With Dunbar Out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
WW can cover this for 4 games. Dumbar would be getting pulled a lot in nickel packages anyway if Ogletree can be a weapon in coverage.
If somethings happens to WW or Ogie then it hits the fan. Williams maybe can handle it considering how little he would have to play. Ray Ray is a ways a ways away. Waiver wire it or move JL outside in 3 LB sets with Hull in middle, with Hull coming off the field in pass D. This puts the best 3 LB's remaining LB's on the field at the same time. If you don't think JL can slide outside you're selling him short.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree is should be Spoon. I hope that one of these guys explodes. I was under the inpression we were doing left and right at LB...not sure if that's true of I'm mixing it up.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
We're gonna miss Dunbar against the run.

Red Bull is gonna notice a decline in sales during the suspension.

Our Defense is gonna Kick Fucking Ass with and without him.

Fish has had a heads-up on this ,,, and he has planned accordingly.

IRIE

CoachO

Hall of Fame
El Juggernauto said:
I agree is should be Spoon. I hope that one of these guys explodes. I was under the inpression we were doing left and right at LB...not sure if that's true of I'm mixing it up.

They are doing the Left and Right thing, but he is correct, Armstrong is backing up Ogletree on the left side, and Witherspoon is on the right side behind Dunbar.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
El Juggernauto said:

They are doing the Left and Right thing, but he is correct, Armstrong is backing up Ogletree on the left side, and Witherspoon is on the right side behind Dunbar.
I probably shouldn't call them that, but only one guy is staying on the field in Nickel. It brings up a good point though, both outside LB's have to be able to cover in our scheme.
If one can't, they will have to flop, IMO.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
CoachO said:
El Juggernauto said:

I probably shouldn't call them that, but only one guy is staying on the field in Nickel. It brings up a good point though, both outside LB's have to be able to cover in our scheme.

What's been interesting to see, in terms of coverage, when they are in man coverage, more often than not, they line up McDonald on the RIGHT side, opposite of Ogletree, and he drops down in the box to cover the TE that might be on that side.

IF the TE lines up over Ogletree, then McDonald will have RB responsibilities coming out of the backfield.

This also could serve very well in defending the read option when they face those teams.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
DR RAM said:
CoachO said:
El Juggernauto said:

What's been interesting to see, in terms of coverage, when they are in man coverage, more often than not, they line up McDonald on the RIGHT side, opposite of Ogletree, and he drops down in the box to cover the TE that might be on that side.

IF the TE lines up over Ogletree, then McDonald will have RB responsibilities coming out of the backfield.

This also could serve very well in defending the read option when they face those teams.
That is very interesting. Pretty smart too. Dunbar was good in coverage, when he paid attention, but he bit like a Great White during play-action, especially early in the season. I thought he improved dramatically though.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
CoachO said:
El Juggernauto said:

You know I was thinking the same thing when the left right thing came out. Dunbar wasn't great in coverage last year. Ogletree should be much better. So when a Offense looks for the weak link they will go after Dunbar or now WW relentlessly. I'm keeping a open mind on how this will work.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don't be surprised if the Rams sign a vet LB after the first set of cuts. Depends on who will be out there, but the Rams will be really lacking in veteran LB experience if either Spoon or JL get hurt.

RustyRay

Rookie
I am holding out hope that Jabara Williams jumps up and takes this role. I would much rather keep Witherspoon on the bench as a back up jack of all trades LB, then a starting one. We know what Spoon offers and his best days are behind him..if he is starting then we are desperate.

Williams has talent and I love the way he attacks the run...I want a young guy to grab this role and run with it...its going to be a two down role and with the way the NFL is going the Rams nickle and dime packages will be on the field more anyway.

I liked what I saw from Ray Ray athletically..and think he may turn into a starting caliber OLB...but he needs work. He has a good feel for the game and has really good ability...but NFL LB is no joke and I just dont think he can transition to it quickly enough to be trusted right away to start.

Dunbar's str is in run D...and losing him and his toughness and hitting ability hurts badly...Know what your putting in your body Dunbar...there is no excuse for this suspension...so disappointing.

I honestly thought OLB Bates flashed most in that game vs the Browns...the kid was flying around and led the team in tackles.

Jabara Williams....step up and take this spot please!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ray Ray is green but athletic. I agree with CoachO and Doc. He at minimum isn't ready to step in yet. Hopefully he becomes that stud OLB that we need. To call him small though, I'm not so sure. He is listed at 6'3" 234 and Dunbar at 6'0" 226. While it still puts him at the smallish side of LBs, it IMO has virtually no bearing on this issue. He also apparently has a frame that could take some added muscle without affecting his mobility. Just what I've read.

Now my view is from the limited action I have seen and things I've read. I would without a doubt defer to CoachO on this as I know how much time he has put in watching the team and the fact that I have never picked up any sense that he has any player agendas.

I mean no offense to anyone wanting any particular player to be THE guy but I do think that many of us get too wrapped up in wanting player X to succeed. I have absolutely no doubt that if Ray Ray came out in game one and was THE guy in Dunbar's spot because he earned it, Coach would be ecstatic for the young man. I don't think it's a matter of CoachO hoping he's right or wrong on a player. Why would he hope Ray Ray is better than Jabara for example or vice versa? He's just relaying what he sees every day. And I dig those reports and his insight.

I still love reading everyone's takes on different players. I don't care if they're biased. I certainly have players I'm pulling for. It is SOOOOOO refreshing that on THIS forum, we can have so many differing opinions and yet virtually no shit storms of vitriol. Very cool.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I see where the Rams official site has Armstrong listed at 234 lbs. but that the ONLY place I have seen that posted. Even the roster "handout" at camp has him lists at 225.

I may completely off the radar here. But he doesn't look anywhere close to 234 to me compared to the other guys in that field.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
I see where the Rams official site has Armstrong listed at 234 lbs. but that the ONLY place I have seen that posted. Even the roster "handout" at camp has him lists at 225.

I may completely off the radar here. But he doesn't look anywhere close to 234 to me compared to the other guys in that field.
I think it would be near impossible for him to go from 216 to 234 since his pro day. Now, I can see him putting on 15 quality pounds through the offseason food and weight room programs. I would expect him to be close to 240 next year. He's probably in that 225 pound range now.