With Defense Rolling, Rams Can Beat Anyone --Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
With defense rolling, Rams can beat anyone
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/13744/with-defense-rolling-rams-can-beat-anyone

ST. LOUIS -- Bundling up before heading into a snowy evening, St. Louis Rams linebacker James Laurinaitis paused when a reporter mentioned to him that his team could have pitched a shutout against the Denver Broncos on Sunday.

"Should have pitched a shutout," Laurinaitis quickly corrected.

Indeed the Rams' defense, perhaps playing as well as any group in the league over the past three weeks, could have held Peyton Manning and the high-octane Broncos scoreless in the Rams' stunning 22-7 victory at the Edward Jones Dome. As it was, they held Denver to its lowest point total since Manning arrived in 2012. It was also the first time since Week 13 of 2001 that Manning had attempted 20 or more passes and his team scored seven or fewer points.

For coordinator Gregg Williams' defense, there have been signs of reaching Max Q the past two weeks but shutting down Manning & Co. served as the ultimate notice to the rest of the league that the Rams are not a team, especially not a defense, you want to see on the schedule over the season's final six games.

"The scheme is built so that, if everyone is on the same page, you can play really fast," Laurinaitis said. "I think the last few weeks we have been able to just come in and play extremely fast and trust each other and know we don’t have to be perfect but let’s be aggressive. The light bulb is kind of switching on but we have got to keep that thing on, I don’t want it to run out."

If the Rams can find a way to duplicate Sunday's combination of scheme and execution, the light bulb should be able to burn brightly for the rest of the season.

Although the Broncos had 397 total yards, the Rams held them to 28 yards on 10 carries. Over the past two weeks, they've allowed just 56 rushing yards on 32 carries, which is the best two-game stretch against the run in franchise history. In making that group so one-dimensional, the Rams were able to throw a variety of tricks at Manning.

Instead of the usual two or three checks that Laurinaitis can make out of certain offensive looks, the Rams had six or seven. On defensive tackle Aaron Donald's fourth-down sack in the fourth quarter, Laurinaitis got called out as the MIC linebacker by Broncos rookie center Will Montgomery. Laurinaitis had shown blitz but offered a subtle change at the line of scrimmage, switching the side where he lined up in an effort to create enough confusion to throw the Broncos off.

At the snap, Montgomery took the bait and end Robert Quinn peeled around the inside to Manning. Quinn was unable to bring Manning down, but Donald cleaned it up for a sack.

And the tweaks weren't just based out of blitz looks, either. On cornerback Trumaine Johnson's fourth-quarter interception, the Rams showed a normal Cover 3 look before the snap, something Manning had probably seen plenty of times in his tape study. But Williams had installed a different coverage from the same look earlier in the week and Manning threw down the right sideline where Johnson made an acrobatic interception.

"As long as all 11 are on the same page, we’ll be all right," Laurinaitis said. "That’s a great job by the defensive coaching staff knowing it would come to that and the best part about Gregg Williams is he gives me the freedom to call stuff if I don’t want to check and the feeling of the play just isn’t right, we play the call. A couple of times it happened and a couple of times he checked. It was the combination of a great game plan and just executing."

Of more importance than the yardage, the Rams held Denver to 4-of-12 on third down and 0-for-3 on fourth. They also had two interceptions, two sacks, four quarterback hits and 12 pass breakups. Of those dozen breakups, five came from Quinn and linebacker Alec Ogletree near the line of scrimmage.

Even when Manning completed a pass, a member of the Rams' secondary was there to greet him with a crushing blow such as Rodney McLeod's big hit (and subsequent penalty) on Denver receiver Emmanuel Sanders.

"It energizes us but, also, they know," McDonald said. "The offense knows that you put that ball up, you’re going to feel it. I think that’s something we take pride in, being a physical defense and offenses knowing that it’s not sweet [out there]."

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
This D is very complicated and like the Saints D last year it took time for the players to get a good grasp on the intricacies of it. Still missed a coverage on the TD to Sanders but looking better every week and the Rams have the softer portion of their schedule coming up so maybe a run at a winning season is possible. Make you wonder about this team if Bradford had stayed healthy. Nice to see the Rams making some noise.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Jl gets enough credit what he does as a middle linebacker changing calls and getting guys into position to make plays. He really out dueled manning today

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I don't think Jl gets enough credit what he does as a middle linebacker changing calls and getting guys into position to make plays. He really out dueled manning today
Yea his job description sounds very similar to a QB's huh? I love JL55 dude!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah as long as we don't give away possessions on offense.
+2 today

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The biggest improvement IMO, the past few weeks has been the tackling. Very few missed tackles compared to earlier in the season. It's amazing how much better the defense appears to play when they tackle.

The talent has been there, but now they are playing at a level that compares favorably to the better defenses in the league. And the common denominator in all of those defenses is tackling. What makes SF so good? They tackle. Same with Seattle, Arizona........

All the schemes in the world won't look good with the missed tackles this team has suffered thru in recent years. Say what you want about Williams and his scheme. This is the one area I felt would be the most improved in his defense. Now that they can "play fast" as Laurinaitis explained, they aren't thinking as much, and the improved tackling is the result.

Now, if we can only get Joyner back healthy, and put him at FS. I have not been one to think this was much of an option, but now I don't think they can continue to leave Rodney (all I want to do is hit people) McLeod out there. He just doesn't play the ball in the air.

With the way Gaines is playing, now that Johnson and Jenkins are back, you leave them as your 3 CBs, and get Joyner back on the field at FS. Then, IMO, this defense will be even more dangerous.

Last edited:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

Probably the smartest LB in the league. Amazing job he does as the field general.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
With defense rolling, Rams can beat anyone
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/13744/with-defense-rolling-rams-can-beat-anyone

ST. LOUIS -- Bundling up before heading into a snowy evening, St. Louis Rams linebacker James Laurinaitis paused when a reporter mentioned to him that his team could have pitched a shutout against the Denver Broncos on Sunday.

"Should have pitched a shutout," Laurinaitis quickly corrected.

Indeed the Rams' defense, perhaps playing as well as any group in the league over the past three weeks, could have held Peyton Manning and the high-octane Broncos scoreless in the Rams' stunning 22-7 victory at the Edward Jones Dome. As it was, they held Denver to its lowest point total since Manning arrived in 2012. It was also the first time since Week 13 of 2001 that Manning had attempted 20 or more passes and his team scored seven or fewer points.

For coordinator Gregg Williams' defense, there have been signs of reaching Max Q the past two weeks but shutting down Manning & Co. served as the ultimate notice to the rest of the league that the Rams are not a team, especially not a defense, you want to see on the schedule over the season's final six games.

"The scheme is built so that, if everyone is on the same page, you can play really fast," Laurinaitis said. "I think the last few weeks we have been able to just come in and play extremely fast and trust each other and know we don’t have to be perfect but let’s be aggressive. The light bulb is kind of switching on but we have got to keep that thing on, I don’t want it to run out."

If the Rams can find a way to duplicate Sunday's combination of scheme and execution, the light bulb should be able to burn brightly for the rest of the season.

Although the Broncos had 397 total yards, the Rams held them to 28 yards on 10 carries. Over the past two weeks, they've allowed just 56 rushing yards on 32 carries, which is the best two-game stretch against the run in franchise history. In making that group so one-dimensional, the Rams were able to throw a variety of tricks at Manning.

Instead of the usual two or three checks that Laurinaitis can make out of certain offensive looks, the Rams had six or seven. On defensive tackle Aaron Donald's fourth-down sack in the fourth quarter, Laurinaitis got called out as the MIC linebacker by Broncos rookie center Will Montgomery. Laurinaitis had shown blitz but offered a subtle change at the line of scrimmage, switching the side where he lined up in an effort to create enough confusion to throw the Broncos off.

At the snap, Montgomery took the bait and end Robert Quinn peeled around the inside to Manning. Quinn was unable to bring Manning down, but Donald cleaned it up for a sack.

And the tweaks weren't just based out of blitz looks, either. On cornerback Trumaine Johnson's fourth-quarter interception, the Rams showed a normal Cover 3 look before the snap, something Manning had probably seen plenty of times in his tape study. But Williams had installed a different coverage from the same look earlier in the week and Manning threw down the right sideline where Johnson made an acrobatic interception.

"As long as all 11 are on the same page, we’ll be all right," Laurinaitis said. "That’s a great job by the defensive coaching staff knowing it would come to that and the best part about Gregg Williams is he gives me the freedom to call stuff if I don’t want to check and the feeling of the play just isn’t right, we play the call. A couple of times it happened and a couple of times he checked. It was the combination of a great game plan and just executing."

Of more importance than the yardage, the Rams held Denver to 4-of-12 on third down and 0-for-3 on fourth. They also had two interceptions, two sacks, four quarterback hits and 12 pass breakups. Of those dozen breakups, five came from Quinn and linebacker Alec Ogletree near the line of scrimmage.

Even when Manning completed a pass, a member of the Rams' secondary was there to greet him with a crushing blow such as Rodney McLeod's big hit (and subsequent penalty) on Denver receiver Emmanuel Sanders.

"It energizes us but, also, they know," McDonald said. "The offense knows that you put that ball up, you’re going to feel it. I think that’s something we take pride in, being a physical defense and offenses knowing that it’s not sweet [out there]."
Just an all-around FANTASTIC effort by the D today! Actually the whole Team!!(y)(y):D

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's one of the knocks people had about him. I used to always say though that he was never asked to blitz now they sprinkle in some blitz with him and he is very effective. The defense is really starting to gel and get very exciting

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
JL on the Ogletree INT was amazing, how he switched A gaps after the center looked away to snap the ball.

Can't wait for a healthy Chris Long.

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John

Anyone who doubts him should talk to the Chris long doubters. JL 55 isn't the most athletic mlb but he makes up by guiding this D and putting them in the right places to make a play.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
I've been waiting for this Defense to play better and become a dominant D as they learn a new system.If they play S.D. like they played today I would have to think that they have turned that corner.