With a Quarter of the Season Played - Observations and Opinions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Mark Barron could shift back to the Strong Safety post without too much of a issue & turn that position into a hitting powerhouse & send Mo Alexander to the bench where he has played himself. Mo has shown he is no run enforcer where Barron can pick up the needed role & immediate help out on the run "D" we need to do this by during the bye. Keeping Barron @ ILB'er along with Tree is not good for either of them. Something has to give here.

Anyone find fault in these suggestions? :bueller:
Mark Barron couldn't cut it as a cover 2 SS in Tampa....I doubt he has what it takes with regards to instincts to play SS. He would be the best box SS in the NFL, I believe.....I am on with him at ILB....as long as a thumper is hired.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I expected Jared Goff to be good. I didn't expect him to be this good right now. He's going through his reads, navigates the pocket well, doesn't make costly mistakes, and he's been throwing with touch and accuracy. I'm going to say it right now: most improved player of the year by far and a candidate for OPofY, along with Gurley.

Nice post!

Back in training camp after seeing him... If you had told me he'd be getting through his reads as fast and consistently as he has through the first four games (dude is getting to his 5th read at times), I probably wouldn't have believed it. Early in camp he was staring guys down, and maybe getting to his second read and the defense was feasting more often than not. Kid even struggled a bit with the locking on and wasn't smooth through his reads in preseason. So I have to give him (work ethic because I know he's busted his butt to get where he is) and McVay along with his OC and QB coach huge cred for where he is. It truly is remarkable.

I mean I expected him to improve week to week and do enough for the Rams to compete. But I did not expect him to be the elite QB that he appears to be this quick.

Just gonna stay with the one game at a time deal, because I'm still pinchin myself tbh. And praying that the kid torches Seattle's secondary. Man I want to see Sherman with this look on his face:

richard-sherman-reaction-gif.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Mark Barron couldn't cut it as a cover 2 SS in Tampa....I doubt he has what it takes with regards to instincts to play SS. He would be the best box SS in the NFL, I believe.....I am on with him at ILB....as long as a thumper is hired.
I know that MB is weak in coverage as a SS but currently we have a HOLE @ this SS post in run support. MB has been outstanding thus far in pass coverage so far so its not all bad reports on him. MB has a excellent track record here as a Ram no matter where he is played. We might want to remind ourselves that since his arrival MB has started in the Strong Safety post in 2014. In 2015 MB was the team’s leading tackler with 135 tacks starting @ SS & Weak OLB'er. In 2016 MB had a career-high 147 tackles playing on a defense that put only 2 LB'ers on the field. MB took the weak-side half of the backer area...not a small responsibility task here. So in 3 seasons MB has played in 3 different positions. So MB has always came through for the Rams.

In truth I do not see the Rams using MB @ SS with a healthy improving rookie JJ ready to go. JJ is on the light side around 205 lbs, but he is only 21 yrs old & most likely put on some muscle & size in the near future That will better suit him for the Wade SS positions. The future is JJ due to the 3 top Ram safeties being UFA's in March 2018.

Wade keeps his SS further back from the LOS than where TJ McDonald played last season. But Mo played the high safety post last season. MB is not the big issue in the LB'ing unit ....#1 issue is Rob Quinn & #2 is Alec Ogletree sharp drop-off in making critical run stops. MB is showing signs of trending more positive from wk#1 to present going into wk#5 would you agree? In fact is MB is heating up & lead the team once more in tackles. Would also agree with me on the comments on Quinn & Tree?

The 27 yr old First Round 1, #7 overall selection might end up remaining a Ram for a much longer period of time if Ogletree continues to regress into mush. Tree is UFA in March & looks like he is playing himself out of a lucrative $$$ contract with the Rams thus far but that might change too.

Your comment on bringing in a bona fide thump-er is on target as a critical need & Tree plays the Thumper post in the Wade "D". If the Rams are forced to add a thump-er inside where do you stick Ogletree or Barron. Are you going to bench a defense leading tackler who you are paying 11 million or you going to replace the Fail Mode run stopper Tree who may not fit this defense inside?,Do you think that Alec Ogletree could play the weak outside edge LB'er Quinn position?

Last edited:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Here's an interesting little thing that I just read...I was a little surprised at their answers..

Which surprise 3-1 team are you buying as a legit contender for a playoff spot: Rams, Bills or neither?
Bowen: Buffalo. The Rams have generated more national hype due to the quick development of quarterback Jared Goff and the modern-day offense new head coach Sean McVay has installed in Los Angeles. But I like the Bills in this situation due to a much more favorable schedule and a defense that can close out games. Yes, I'm still buying the Patriots to win the AFC East, but the Bills can pair that defensive team speed with the play of Tyrod Taylor to stay in the mix for a wild-card spot.

Clay: Neither. The Rams have been impressive, but after facing the Colts, Redskins, 49ers and Cowboys defenses, I wonder how the offense will perform against an absurdly tough slate the rest of the way that includes the Jaguars, Giants, Texans, Vikings and Eagles, in addition to the Seahawks and Cardinals twice each. The Bills are a fringe team, but it won't be easy fending off New England for the division or fellow wild-card contenders like the Raiders, Broncos, Texans, Titans and Ravens.

Foxworth: Buffalo. The Bills handed both the Falcons and Broncos their only losses of this young season. Those are more impressive wins than the Rams beating the Colts, 49ers and Cowboys. The Rams' offensive improvement deserves the praise we've heaped on it. But, in my experience, a tough defense makes for a more reliable team. And that's what the Bills have. Tyrod Taylor and the Bills' offense have made the plays that they need to win, but they haven't been great. That's in part because they haven't been able to get LeSean McCoy on track. If they can figure out how to reignite that punishing and explosive running game from a year ago, the Bills will certainly be a viable contender at the end of the season.

Kimes: Buffalo. Both teams have a shot, but the Bills have a clearer path to the playoffs. They get to play the Dolphins twice as well as the Jets, Colts and Chargers. And they've found a recipe that works, with a stout defense and an efficient, turnover-averse quarterback in Tyrod Taylor.

Sando: Buffalo. Mina's reasoning makes sense, and could be why ESPN's Analytics model puts the Bills' chances near 50 percent, with the Rams' closer to 30 percent. The Rams are a bigger surprise than the Bills, at least to me. My preseason projection had them starting 2-3 and then falling off the map, which probably is not going to happen now.

Seifert: Buffalo. A defense that is holding opponents to an NFL-low 13.5 points per game provides more cover ... and more long-term stability. The Rams' defense has been gashed for 26.3 points per game (28th in the NFL), putting their own offense in an unsustainable position.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Anyone find fault in these suggestions? :bueller:
Has Price suited up for 1 game?

Trade Quinn....lolol...to whom?

I'd love to move MB to SS.....Move Littleton into a starting role....we actually have the pieces on the team to make adjustments....

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
MB has been outstanding thus far in pass coverage so far so its not all bad reports on him. MB has a excellent track record here as a Ram no matter where he is played. Do you think that Alec Ogletree could play the weak outside edge LB'er Quinn position?

Yes, Barron has an awesome track record; and his coverage against TEs is good, but not against WRs in a zone in space. Barron is also the toughest guy on the team outside of Brockers. Can't have enough of them. Deonne Buchanon did well last year with AZ at ILB...it can be done!

Alec at OLB--I would like to see him tried there for a handful of plays, just to see what he would do; but long term it wouldn't work because he can't take on OTs all the time, and he only has 1-2 pass rush moves. He is a player, but he needs a system; he isn't Mack of the Raiders, or Wagner....he is limited.
I don't think ALec stays if he keep hte 3-4. He is a captain and a menace in the open field...but, he doens't fit anymore. I really wish they still had a 4-3--guarenteed top 12 D with the offense we have supporting it.

There is really no good solution for 2016; teams will take advantage of Barron (30% of the time), and Alec will run around and miss tackles until his mind 'get it'....

I thought Mo Alexander would be near pro bowl level at SS, that is my biggest disappointment. I knew Alec and Barron would have a hard time....and Quinn was fading last year, too. If Mo Alex can't turn it around at SS, I don't see us going 10-6+....you can't have a let down at SS in a defense that is weak up the middle. He is supposed to be like TJ McDonald on the run, but he isn't...very wierd....that 70 yarder was on him, too.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here's an interesting little thing that I just read...I was a little surprised at their answers..

Which surprise 3-1 team are you buying as a legit contender for a playoff spot: Rams, Bills or neither?
Bowen: Buffalo. The Rams have generated more national hype due to the quick development of quarterback Jared Goff and the modern-day offense new head coach Sean McVay has installed in Los Angeles. But I like the Bills in this situation due to a much more favorable schedule and a defense that can close out games. Yes, I'm still buying the Patriots to win the AFC East, but the Bills can pair that defensive team speed with the play of Tyrod Taylor to stay in the mix for a wild-card spot.

Clay: Neither. The Rams have been impressive, but after facing the Colts, Redskins, 49ers and Cowboys defenses, I wonder how the offense will perform against an absurdly tough slate the rest of the way that includes the Jaguars, Giants, Texans, Vikings and Eagles, in addition to the Seahawks and Cardinals twice each. The Bills are a fringe team, but it won't be easy fending off New England for the division or fellow wild-card contenders like the Raiders, Broncos, Texans, Titans and Ravens.

Foxworth: Buffalo. The Bills handed both the Falcons and Broncos their only losses of this young season. Those are more impressive wins than the Rams beating the Colts, 49ers and Cowboys. The Rams' offensive improvement deserves the praise we've heaped on it. But, in my experience, a tough defense makes for a more reliable team. And that's what the Bills have. Tyrod Taylor and the Bills' offense have made the plays that they need to win, but they haven't been great. That's in part because they haven't been able to get LeSean McCoy on track. If they can figure out how to reignite that punishing and explosive running game from a year ago, the Bills will certainly be a viable contender at the end of the season.

Kimes: Buffalo. Both teams have a shot, but the Bills have a clearer path to the playoffs. They get to play the Dolphins twice as well as the Jets, Colts and Chargers. And they've found a recipe that works, with a stout defense and an efficient, turnover-averse quarterback in Tyrod Taylor.

Sando: Buffalo. Mina's reasoning makes sense, and could be why ESPN's Analytics model puts the Bills' chances near 50 percent, with the Rams' closer to 30 percent. The Rams are a bigger surprise than the Bills, at least to me. My preseason projection had them starting 2-3 and then falling off the map, which probably is not going to happen now.

Seifert: Buffalo. A defense that is holding opponents to an NFL-low 13.5 points per game provides more cover ... and more long-term stability. The Rams' defense has been gashed for 26.3 points per game (28th in the NFL), putting their own offense in an unsustainable position.

Sports media has good things to say about a North Eastern NFL team....:sleepz::sleep: nothing new here..........:blah:

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Thread winner @Memento well said agree with everything.
I 2nd that. And as much as she knows about football, you'd swear she's been in an interview w/ Cam Newton........:rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh:

Ram65

Legend
The Good-Offense

The Bad-Defense

The Good-Special Teams

Two out of three ain't great but, better than last year. Very impressed with Goff's development. Really impressed and surprised with the run game and Todd Gurley catching passes. Offensive line protection has been great too. The wide receivers have turned around 180 percent. Great group that isn't dependent on one player.

The defense has been slow to adapt to the 3-4. Showed some promise with the Brockers move. Let's see how the next quarter goes. Question marks with Quinn and Alexander while others have to show improvement.

Special is the right name for the Rams kicking game. The return game had one fumble but, did get one back. Near perfect group.