Winning vs Losing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
was wondering if anyone had a stay of how many quarters the Rams have been ahead compared to how many have been played. I'm not sure if it's in my head or not, but I feel like we have been ahead more than half of the time, only to squander it.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I did do an analysis in the last vent thread showing that out of the 9 games, at halftime, Rams lead in 5 games, trailed in 3 and were tied in 1.

Much rather be 5-3-1 right now than 3-6. 5-3-1 would still be alive for a wild card spot.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I did do an analysis in the last vent thread showing that out of the 9 games, at halftime, Rams lead in 5 games, trailed in 3 and were tied in 1.

Much rather be 5-3-1 right now than 3-6. 5-3-1 would still be alive for a wild card spot.

Now I'm wondering what the score was at the end of 3 quarters. Get to work on that.

One thing I have been thinking about since the bad call on Kendricks is that there are too many plays/calls by refs that seem to have changed the tide or momentum of the game.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Now I'm wondering what the score was at the end of 3 quarters. Get to work on that.

One thing I have been thinking about since the bad call on Kendricks is that there are too many plays/calls by refs that seem to have changed the tide or momentum of the game.
I thought -X- was the guy we make do our research for us because we're lazy.

But easy enough, I just use the Wikipedia article on this current season for this stuff:

Score at end of 3:
Wk 1 vs Minnesota: Down by 17 (lost by 28)
Wk 2 at Tampa: Down by 1 (won by 2)
Wk 3 vs Dallas: Up by 1 (lost by 3)
Wk 5 at Philly: Down by 20 (lost by 6)
Wk 6 vs SF: Down by 10 (lost by 14)
Wk 7 vs Seattle: Up by 8 (won by 2)
Wk 8 at KC: Down by 13 (lost by 27)
Wk 9 at SF: Tied (won by 3)
Wk 10 at Arizona: Up by 4 (lost by 17)

So that 5-3-1 at halftime dips to 3-5-1 at the end of the 3rd.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 3rd Quarter has been quite a statistical quagmire this year.
Minn 7-3 Rams
TB 7-3 Rams
DAl 10-0 Rams
Phil 14-7*Rams *Rams scored with 8 seconds left in 3rd Q
SF 14-0 Rams
Sea 7-0 Rams
KC 10-0 Rams
SF2 0-0 Rams
AZ 0-0 Rams
Op 69-13 Rams

Basically, but for a last second TD against Philly, the Rams havent scored in #Q in weeks
Last 2 games, thanks to the D they havent been "out scored", but havent scored either

Just amazing. Wondering out loud what the average winning % is for teams leading at halftime? From what I gather, the Rams have only won 2 of the 5 games they lead, 40%

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Player fatigue or getting outcoached in the second half?
If players getting paid millions to play this game are getting that much more fatigued than the other team by the 3rd quarter, something is wrong somewhere.

Maybe the Rams have bad conditioning coaches or something.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Player fatigue or getting outcoached in the second half?

It's absolutely the coaching. It's frustrating to go into halftime knowing either
A) they'll figure us out and stop us. Or
B) we won't be able to figure out what they're doing.

I knew we would be lucky to get one more sack in the second half because Bruce Arians would adjust to getting the ball out quicker.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Players get hurt more often when they're fatigued. I know Shaun Hill was injured in the first half of the first game but how many players were injured in the second half? That might be something for some of you stats experts to research.

I think the answer is yes.

If players getting paid millions to play this game are getting that much more fatigued than the other team by the 3rd quarter, something is wrong somewhere.

Maybe the Rams have bad conditioning coaches or something.

It's absolutely the coaching. It's frustrating to go into halftime knowing either
A) they'll figure us out and stop us. Or
B) we won't be able to figure out what they're doing.

I knew we would be lucky to get one more sack in the second half because Bruce Arians would adjust to getting the ball out quicker.

Rams coaches in general have excellent reputations, Schottenheimer aside, especially on defense. It makes no sense that they're being outcoached. Maybe they're calling the right schemes and plays but the players aren't executing properly.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think it's coaching and player fatigue at about a 60-40 rate.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Players get hurt more often when they're fatigued. I know Shaun Hill was injured in the first half of the first game but how many players were injured in the second half? That might be something for some of you stats experts to research.

Our coaches are known for having excellent reputations, Schottenheimer aside, especially on defense. It makes no sense that they're being outcoached. Maybe they're calling the right schemes and plays but the players aren't executing properly.

That's a good point. It's mind boggling that this has been a theme for the last 10 years. It is kind of hard to believe that every coach is just better at making halftime adjustments. Jeff Fisher is a great coach and wouldn't have stayed in Tenn all those years if he sucked. I just can't bring myself to believe he isn't the man for the job. I guess I don't have an answer for you. I think the universe just hates the Rams.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
are players on defense more conditioned than offense? they seem to be playing 4 quarters and spend way more time on the field. the offense is barely on the field in a lot of games. is it more likely an entire team is not in good enough shape to compete in 4 quarters of NFL football? EXTREMELY doubtful. The offense can execute plays well in the first half and not the second? it all sounds a bit ridiculous IMO. this is a serious lack of offensive coaching ability and it's starting to bleed over into head coach's image. Fisher needs to take responsibility and step in. something has to change whatever that change may be.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't understand, how a team can be Coached-up enough, and adjust on the fly, and play as well as we did against Seattle and the 49ers. and not do the same against other teams! JMO

Alan

Legend
Prime Time with this theory:
Rams coaches in general have excellent reputations, Schottenheimer aside, especially on defense. It makes no sense that they're being outcoached. Maybe they're calling the right schemes and plays but the players aren't executing properly.
I'm pretty sure that's part of it but why is it that the players seem to perform so much better in the first half if it's not a lack of effective half time adjustments?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Blame....:huh: In hind sight here flv ...if QB Davis was the cause & yes he plays a big part .....fact is Davis has been here since Fisher's arrival in 2012. Looks to me that in all this time someone would have notice the big issues in Davis's game.

Having "sunk all their eggs in one basket" going with the brittle NOT mobile pocket passer Sam Bradford purely as the only invested bona-fide Ram QB ? Could that decision be a major factor? Too far in the weeds ? Fisher has had the opportunity to draft QB prospects 28 times in 3 Ram drafts. Fisher used only one late third day selection on a QB. This Ram team seems to remind me of my kite flying events as a kid......what happen up there it was flying so high & good ???

But let us recall the defense had some issues too early but have been working the kinks out now on this later half of the season.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm pretty sure that's part of it but why is it that the players seem to perform so much better in the first half if it's not a lack of effective half time adjustments?

I agree.........seems like things stop working as well in the second half.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I thought 2012 he looked great in preseason. There was a lot of buzz about his performance and that's when the whole 'gunslinger' mentality was born. Then hopes were dashed in 2013 when he couldn't duplicate. I could be wrong though. Just working off of memory.